g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Prayers and best wishes.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you and Connie are blessed to have a man that will stand by her, theses days there is little commitment in tough situations , extra prayers for him and Connie.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I petition for Connie's health.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It's a bad situation and I'm not trying to minimize it, but just so you know.

There's some *very* good prosthetic limbs out there these days.

I worked with a guy who had his lower leg messed up bad in Vietnam. He walked with a bad limp and was in much pain for decades with it.

Finally, when in his late 50's he decided to have it removed below the knee and be fitted with a prosthetic.

He came back to work about 8 weeks later walking without a limp.

Being toolmakers, we all had to see how it worked so he took it off and put it up on a big surface plate for us to check out.

The foot was a formed piece of carbon fiber material which worked as a type of leaf spring and was attached to a hinged area that functioned as an ankle. On the back of the foot where the achilles tendon would have been was a long, thin gas charged shock absorber.

The carbon fiber leaf spring that functioned as a foot was covered by a latex "rubber" foot the same size as the other and was what he'd put his shoe on.

Like I said before, he was back at work in a couple of months and you wouldn't have known that he was wearing a prosthetic limb.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Barak
...with a rare autoimmune disease called Wegener's granulomatosis.

Things called granulomas in the walls of her blood vessels become inflamed and swell, causing all manner of problems including insanely high blood pressure and heart rate (194/114 and 160 at one point I saw), constant headaches, petechiae, loss of her voice, burst blood vessels in the whites of her eyes, loss of hearing in one ear, and other things. (I don't know whether these granulomas are things that everybody has, and they only get inflamed and swollen in Wegener's patients, or whether only Wegener's patients have them.)

One of the other things is thromboses. She wound up with five of the six arteries in her legs blocked by clots. The rheumatologist managed to open one of the three blocked arteries in her left leg and stent it, but her lower leg and foot were without circulation for a good two or three days, so she may lose her toes, the foot itself, or even the entire leg below the knee. The doctor seems persuaded that even if she escapes amputation, she will never again have normal function in her left foot.

She's in the hospital in reasonably good spirits, and her husband seems to be attending her well; but she could certainly use the prayers of those among you who pray.

Her name is Connie.

Thanks.

I hope all goes well for your daughter. I've also been unlucky enough to get a very rare autoimmune disease which threatened my life.

Thankfully high doses of corticosteroids and IVIg therapy got me out of trouble with no long lasting effects.

IC B2

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yep. Connie's in really good spirits: Penny says she's probably taking it better than anyone else in the family.

Of course, she's been really really sick for about two months while people tried to figure out what was wrong with her and applied all sorts of regimens that were wrong and didn't help and probably in some cases made her worse. She's really happy simply not to have a headache anymore, for example, and the thought of losing a foot seems to be small in relation to that.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Barak
Yep. Connie's in really good spirits: Penny says she's probably taking it better than anyone else in the family.

Of course, she's been really really sick for about two months while people tried to figure out what was wrong with her and applied all sorts of regimens that were wrong and didn't help and probably in some cases made her worse. She's really happy simply not to have a headache anymore, for example, and the thought of losing a foot seems to be small in relation to that.
Merry Christmas to you, Penny and Connie and y'alls people. Prayers continue.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

It sounds like you are already an extraordinarily blessed family.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very hard to hear this news for such a fine family. Please let everyone know we're pulling for them and sending our prayers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Up, for the good news..... considering how bad it COULD be.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am late in getting to this, but I offer thoughts and prayers from Iowa for the best possible outcome. It is wonderful that you are there for each other.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So Connie will be getting shut of her dead leg tomorrow afternoon. Penny and I will be there with her. Otherwise she's in good health and good spirits and is eager to be rid of it. Thanks again for all your prayers.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I want to thank all of you who have prayed and are praying for our daughter. She is such a strong, brave young woman, and I am very proud of her. She will have her left foot amputated tomorrow (Thursday) afternoon. Continuing prayers would be appreciated. She is blessed with a wonderful strong husband who loves her more than you could imagine, and who is by her side in all this. I am so thankful to God that she is still with us, as this disease could easily have been fatal to her. I SO MUCH appreciate all of your prayers!

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
She will have them.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Prayers up for Connie, her husband, you, and your wife.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
May Your will be done and Your glory be seen, in His mighty name.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Barak - sorry to hear that, Prayers sent, and best wishes, I hope the problem becomes manageable or completely dissappears...

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Prayers sent

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You all have them from me as well.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barak - your account of Connie, her battle and her husband is both touching and inspiring. I have been praying for her and all in your family and look forward your next report. I feel certain that it will be good.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

481 members (204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,807
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.