Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
“All you black American people, [bleep] you all…just go to the office and pick up your check,” the supervisor at Hamilton Growers told workers during a mass layoff in June 2009.

The following season, according to a lawsuit filed by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, about 80 workers, many of them black, were simply told: “All you Americans are fired.”

Year after year, Hamilton Growers, which has supplied squash, cucumbers, and other produce to Wal-Mart and the Green Giant brand, hired scores of Americans, only to cast off many of them within weeks, according to the U.S. government. And time after time, the grower filled the jobs with foreign guest workers instead.

Although Hamilton Growers eventually agreed to pay half a million dollars to settle the suit, company officials said the allegations are baseless. Mass firings never happened, they said, nor did anyone use racially inflammatory language. But workers tell a different story.

“We want to go to work and work all day,” said Derrick Green, 32, a father of six who said he was fired by Hamilton Growers in 2012 after only three weeks picking squash. “But they don’t want that.”

Last year, thousands of American companies won permission to bring a total of more than 150,000 people into the country as legal guest workers for unskilled jobs, under a federal program that grants them temporary work permits known as H-2 visas. Officially, the guest workers were invited here to fill positions no Americans want: The program is not supposed to deprive any American of a job, and before a company wins approval for a single H-2 visa, it must attest that it has already made every effort to hire domestically. Many companies abide by the law and make good-faith efforts to employ Americans.

Yet a BuzzFeed News investigation, based on Labor Department records, court filings, more than 100 interviews, inspector general reports, and analyses of state and federal data, has found that many businesses go to extraordinary lengths to skirt the law, deliberately denying jobs to American workers so they can hire foreign workers on H-2 visas instead.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicagarrison/all-you-americans-are-fired#.ppDqPxYp

Last edited by KFWA; 12/31/15.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Nothing new there, that's been going on for more than 30 years that I know of.

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It costs a good deal of money to get the visa for someone you want to hire. At least it did for my hunting partner who brought an Australian Ag Pilot over to fly for him, and a Mexican who comes up to work seven months a year.

I can't see where it's worth it to get a fruit picker.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Seems there are two sides to the story:

"In an interview, Jerod Baker said his former workers’ allegations were false. They weren’t fired, he said — they quit.
“They’ll say anything, believe me. Half of them was either on drugs or coming to work late or smelling like a brewery,” he said. “They literally come out here with baggy pants, and they have to hold their pants up, and the other ones either have a cigarette in their mouth or a cell phone. How are they going to be able to work like that?” He added, “85% of them told me, ‘Screw this, we’ll keep getting our government check.’”"

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Dave_S

"In an interview, Jerod Baker said his former workers’ allegations were false. They weren’t fired, he said — they quit.
“They’ll say anything, believe me. Half of them was either on drugs or coming to work late or smelling like a brewery,” he said. “They literally come out here with baggy pants, and they have to hold their pants up, and the other ones either have a cigarette in their mouth or a cell phone. How are they going to be able to work like that?” He added, “85% of them told me, ‘Screw this, we’ll keep getting our government check.’”"

this sounds right. i managed day workers that we were forced to use from a minority owned business. it was simple schit, build computer cables. took all of 15 minutes to train somebody and a day or so to get proficient. i think we paid $15/hr and this was years ago. they would come in late, reeking of weed, work slow, fugg schit up and do half the work of young white guys. i even would sit on the line and do the work right along with them in order to get the job done. they would spend 30 min in the schitter, stand around bs'ing, etc. it was fuggen disgusting but we were a govt job and had to use them. i almost got fired for telling one of them "thanks for living up to the stereotype". they all laughed but still told on my ass. about 2 months later there was a smash and grab and it was real obvious they knew exactly where to go to get the best schit. in and out in 2 minutes.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rem141r
Originally Posted by Dave_S

this sounds right. i managed day workers that we were forced to use from a minority owned business. it was simple schit, build computer cables. took all of 15 minutes to train somebody and a day or so to get proficient. i think we paid $15/hr and this was years ago. they would come in late, reeking of weed, work slow, fugg schit up and do half the work of young white guys. i even would sit on the line and do the work right along with them in order to get the job done. they would spend 30 min in the schitter, stand around bs'ing, etc. it was fuggen disgusting but we were a govt job and had to use them. i almost got fired for telling one of them "thanks for living up to the stereotype". they all laughed but still told on my ass. about 2 months later there was a smash and grab and it was real obvious they knew exactly where to go to get the best schit. in and out in 2 minutes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep .
As I've said for 35 years -they are nothing but trouble.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
"THEY" would be a lot lesss trouble, and work a lot harder if we cut wellfare checks in half, and then reduced them by 10% every month.
Work or starve, work or sleep outside in the cold, work or you can't afford that weed.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Americans CAN'T do production work anymore. Even IF you could find a crew of 'em that could pass the drug test they would be too busy texting on the fuggin cell phone to do any work.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 46 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,260
Posts18,504,811
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.