Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 128 of 175 1 2 126 127 128 129 130 174 175
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by logcutter
What is it about lumberjacks that makes it OK for them to break the law? Because they work hard?

Your comparing a DUI in the 90's to a 2011 poaching and wasting of meat by an active police officer that is involved in murder now.

A huge difference.

No, YOU'RE comparing a DUI to poaching....And excusing one while condemning the other.

I'm just trying to figure out what laws are excusable for lumberjacks and how the cascading effects of your decision will impact society as a whole.

I look forward to your responses to my questions. This is a very pressing issue and I hope to gain insight from your opinion.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my case, I'm judged according to the law. If I did kill a person, claiming it was justifiable is a defense against prosecution for murder, manslaughter,etc.

In the case of a cop, he is "judged" by his department's POLICY on deadly force. Only if his actions are found to be outside the policy guidelines is he then on a level playing field with me.

The video showing the cop killing the guy as he was getting out of his overturned car is a perfect example of the disparity between cops and the rest of us. Initially, the D A announced he would not prosecute him, even though the cop was in zero danger.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The poacher is now accused of murder, the DUI recipient is dead.

A police officer breaking the law carries more weight than a civilian drinking one to many. Just look at the news and the reputation police officers are getting these days. Not good, right or wrong.

I can't believe some think it is just hunky dory for a police officer to openly break the laws be swore to uphold.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A police officer breaking the law carries more weight than a civilian drinking one to many. Just look at the news and the reputation police officers are getting these days. Not good, right or wrong.

I can't believe some think it is just hunky dory for a police officer to openly break the laws be swore to uphold.

Cut 'em some slack......... they are shorthanded. Great Whoopee is late to the party this morning.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by curdog4570
In my case, I'm judged according to the law. If I did kill a person, claiming it was justifiable is a defense against prosecution for murder, manslaughter,etc.

In the case of a cop, he is "judged" by his department's POLICY on deadly force. Only if his actions are found to be outside the policy guidelines is he then on a level playing field with me.

The video showing the cop killing the guy as he was getting out of his overturned car is a perfect example of the disparity between cops and the rest of us. Initially, the D A announced he would not prosecute him, even though the cop was in zero danger.

1st paragraph-You're not presumed guilty.

2nd paragraph-That's not even close to being accurate. Thanks for the response though.

3rd paragraph-Inhabe no idea what video you're talking about. But talking about a video doesn't answer my questions anyway so I won't bother with it.

I look forward to you answering the questions I asked. Thank you.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No, YOU'RE comparing a DUI to poaching

No,I am comparing an active duty police officer accused of murder and poor judgement committing a crime, to a civilian drinking one to many beers in a community of police officers, that in the end killed him.See any history there?

A crime is a crime,but this is about a sheriff's deputy accused on several counts, as having poor judgement and previously fired for such activity,now accused of murder by numerous witness's,not about a DUI by an old logger in the 1990's...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

1st paragraph-True. Irrelevant to my questions, but true. Good job, I think.

2nd paragraph-I know that's your position. I'm wondering how much weight breaking various laws carries for various professions. There must be a sliding scale or something.

3rd paragraph-Me either. That's terrible.

Please answer my questions about which laws it's OK for lumberjacks to break. Thank you.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm wondering how much weight breaking various laws carries for various professions. There must be a sliding scale or something.

That's easy to answer..

1-The police officer took an oath to uphold the law,not break it..

2-Loggers are not required to take such oath..

3-Loggers take an oath to drink beer,lot's of it. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I kill someone, I AM "guilty" of a homicide. There is no presumption that it was justifiable..... I have to offer proof of that, or be prosecuted under the laws of my state.

THAT'S my answer to your first point.

Your second point is just a denial with no facts to back it up, so you are due no response.

Your third point was addressed by a specific case, which is what you asked for. I'm surprised you didn't look at the video since it's been posted several times in the last few days.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Police Code of Ethics
Every criminal justice profession and association has “codes” of ethics, “canons” of professional responsibility, “statements” of values, “principles” of conduct, “standards” of practice, and “oaths” of office, along with “pledges”, “vows”, “maxims”, “credos”, “prayers”, “tenets”, and “declarations”. Some are directed to God; others to superiors or the profession; and still others to society as a whole. They all make promises that people commit to keeping as a standard of performance.

A code of ethics if it is to be used for occupational purposes, must set a standard above ordinary morality. Otherwise there’s no need for a code of ethics at all. This is especially relevant to police work where it’s going to take more than just a commitment to being an ordinary, decent human being.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Computer programmers don't take that oath either, but they don't work as hard as lumberjacks. Are they allowed to break as many laws as lumberjacks?

Is anyone who didn't take that oath allowed to break the law?

You keep mentioning DUI, is that the only law people are allowed to break if they didn't take that oath?

Alcoholism and alcohol related illnesses, both physical and emotional, are not a laughing matter. Please show more consideration to lumberjacks struggling with these issues. Thank you.

Please answer my questions this time. I'm trying to understand your point of view.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Police Code of Ethics
Every criminal justice profession and association has “codes” of ethics, “canons” of professional responsibility, “statements” of values, “principles” of conduct, “standards” of practice, and “oaths” of office, along with “pledges”, “vows”, “maxims”, “credos”, “prayers”, “tenets”, and “declarations”. Some are directed to God; others to superiors or the profession; and still others to society as a whole. They all make promises that people commit to keeping as a standard of performance.

A code of ethics if it is to be used for occupational purposes, must set a standard above ordinary morality. Otherwise there’s no need for a code of ethics at all. This is especially relevant to police work where it’s going to take more than just a commitment to being an ordinary, decent human being.

Are you saying lumberjacks aren't ethical? That's rude. And not true.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
an ordinary, decent human being.

Just THAT would be a huge step up for Great Whoopee.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by curdog4570
If I kill someone, I AM "guilty" of a homicide. There is no presumption that it was justifiable..... I have to offer proof of that, or be prosecuted under the laws of my state.

THAT'S my answer to your first point.

Your second point is just a denial with no facts to back it up, so you are due no response.

Your third point was addressed by a specific case, which is what you asked for. I'm surprised you didn't look at the video since it's been posted several times in the last few days.

You don't understand how proof of guilt and innocence works.

OK

A case that we can review with evidence and transcripts and appeal opinions. A YouTube video isn't a case, anywhere but here.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Are you saying lumberjacks aren't ethical? That's rude. And not true.

It's an insult to call a logger ethical. I take offense.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gotta go guys.

I'm trying to politely ask questions to better understand your position regarding lumberjacks and cops breaking the law. If you can't answer my simple questions don't bother responding. I'm not interested in arguing, just understanding.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Gotta go guys.

I'm trying to politely ask questions to better understand your position regarding lumberjacks and cops breaking the law. If you can't answer my simple questions don't bother responding. I'm not interested in arguing, just understanding.

Blue

I answered it already..I believe it is more of a crime for a police officer to commit the same crime as a lumberjack,as you like to say.

Yes,if they both commit the same crime at the same time,I believe the active officer should receive a stiffer penalty do to his commitment and oath to protect and serve the laws of the land.

Yes there both guilty, but the officer has ruined the faith of the people he swore under oath to protect and serve from just that, which he commited.

How could that officer arrest someone who broke the same law he broke himself?He should be fired,at the least.

Is that more clear?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No. I already knew what you thought. I'm trying to understand the effects that opinion has on society and other professions.

You don't have to try any more.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
No. I already knew what you thought. I'm trying to understand the effects that opinion has on society and other professions.

You don't have to try any more.
I have no problem with LEO's not being held to a higher standard as long as when a crime is committed against one the penalty is no stiffer than it is when the same crime is committed against an average citizen and also when an officer testifies in court his word carries no more weight than an average citizen.

Bluedreaux, you seem to be saying that conventional wisdom doesn't apply here, because it certainly used to be that most folks felt like people in positions of authority should be held to a higher standard.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm trying to understand the effects that opinion has on society and other professions.

I suppose it depends on where you live. In this area where this occurred, it is pretty much how everyone feels.Seems a lot of people get a DUI at some point in there life but poaching is a tar and feather offense.

I wouldn't expect anyone who does not live in the middle of Idaho's best hunting and fishing to agree. This is a rural area with the closest Walmart close to 100 miles away and 200 to a freeway.

Poaching is probably only second to murder and theft here ... This deputy did two of the three.

Page 128 of 175 1 2 126 127 128 129 130 174 175

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,603
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.