Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Big Stick

'flave,

Pard's Liljee 1-9" 17Rem,but the way he's goin' with it...she'll be mine soon.(grin) It's a MR contour at 20",but the pinhole makes the bitch look bigger. Handles/balances well and shoots a wee bit for a BB-Gun. It's fairly Faux Ti-esque,but shorter in the spout,which do not hurt the equation.

The trouble with the 17Rem,is same as any/all other thangs on any of the .378" cases,in that a 1-8" 223AI with 75A-Max at 3150fps from a 21" spout,simply fhuqking CRUSHES it. Goes back to boolits mattering more than a smidge.(grin)

'Course to reiterate,one can always fling 40's at 4000fps from same. Them's BITTER pills to swallow. Pass the 75's.

The best 17 goin' is the 17WSM in a 77/17 Fixed Fhuqked...and hacksawed off at 20". Zero Stop optional.

That seems like a bitchin' rig! What bullets are you using in it? I know you don't give a fugk but I will add that I don't want to shoot most any fur with a 75gr. A-Max and the the 25gr. .17 stuff keeps foxes put together better than most.

The WSM is tempting 'fer shure.' Especially since the prices on ammo came down.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Axtell
Hey 'Stick, why do you favor short spouts?

~He doesn't like rifles that are taller than he is.

~He's used to having a short "spout".

~He got drunk and cut his barrel with a sawzall and now has to pretend that he likes it.

In no particular order.

Happy New Year little buddy.

PS- I know, I know... crossed eyes, awesome buck for an avatar, vagina monologues, cant get off the couch, etc...

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
Have a good bud who's killed 10 rams the hard way, ie on foot no Cub time, in the last 18 years. Furthest one he's killed was around 430 and half or better were under 100.

Not saying the Roy is the end all or that a 105 6mm won't out fly it, just that you don't always have to shoot them way out there.

Kid I agree with you on that but if you read about the 257 and then actually look at the bc of the bullets it's pretty disappointing. Granted majority of hunters don't care about the bc of a bullet

Last edited by 79S; 01/01/16.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
79S,

Your original question was why a 100 grain bullet in the 257 Weatherby. You got a lot of fine answers. What I don't understand is if you say this:

"...then I got to looking at bullets and that's when I saw they all suck.. Am I a long range shooter no I'm not..."

and then this:

"...but if you read about the 257 and then actually look at the bc of the bullets it's pretty disappointing..."

Why do YOU care about the BC of a 25 caliber bullet? A 100 TTSX at 3650 (which I don't shoot, but that some liken to the BC of a rock) will kill anything in Colorado you have an interest in out to 500 yards with little effort and minimal guesstimating on drop. Just curious........

"One man with courage makes a majority."

Hank
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'flave,

25V-Max.

If I was worried about selling fur...it'd be a straight up 17WSM Show with 20's at 3000fps outta a 20" spout. Ruger fhuqked up,by not putting a laminate handle on 'em,but plywood Hornet handles are easy enough to score.

Ruger rotary mags have no equal,the Precision is there,the terminal affects are there,ammo is dirt cheap and it's a straight up sleeper.

Fhuqk the 17 Rem........................

KchuntC,

I always enjoy your bitching about all the things you've never seen,done and can't afford. Funnier than fhuqk how "real" your Imagination and it's Pretend is,to you. You "lucky" kchunt.

Laughing!

Here's more pics for "your" album.

You can't buck 'em off,with flutes running to da' muzzle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You cain't buck the choke offa Annie 54 or it "won't shoot" either.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Same goes AMT 10/22 spouts.

[Linked Image]

It'd take wayyyyyyyyy more than a hacksaw,to aspook me.

[Linked Image]

Who knows...you just might be the first Do Nothing Kchunt to bitch herself "happy". Congratulations?!? Don't let the cat get your tongue,or the couch your kchunt.

Very good call as per you always,to give ALL things The Rifle a very wide fhuqking berth. I wonder why that is?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.....................

'S,

It's very easy to arrange a modest parcel,that'll do it all and then some...well shy of having to suffer a L/A or belts.

The upside bein',there ain't no downside.(grin).................

'330,

I'll feign my "surprise",that you "forgot" about your Imaginary Pretend Ignore. Laughing!

Your "grasp" on Ballistics is fhuqking hilarious!

Texan...ain'tcha'?!?

Wow +P++!....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HEB330
79S,

Your original question was why a 100 grain bullet in the 257 Weatherby. You got a lot of fine answers. What I don't understand is if you say this:

"...then I got to looking at bullets and that's when I saw they all suck.. Am I a long range shooter no I'm not..."

and then this:

"...but if you read about the 257 and then actually look at the bc of the bullets it's pretty disappointing..."

Why do YOU care about the BC of a 25 caliber bullet? A 100 TTSX at 3650 (which I don't shoot, but that some liken to the BC of a rock) will kill anything in Colorado you have an interest in out to 500 yards with little effort and minimal guesstimating on drop. Just curious........

. I guess you are somewhat correct about shooting 500yds you still need a bullet with a good bc..

Last edited by 79S; 01/01/16.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Beautiful; incredible really.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Stick, how's that 8x57(j) treating you? Any luck finding good .318 boolits? laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'S,

Don't interfere with either her Imagination or it's Pretend,mainly because it's all she's got and THAT...would be mean.

Bless her heart..............

'17,

The Outdoors works well for me...always has.

Gotta take Sister to a plane,then go Cast & Blast.

It's rough...............(grin)

dooshmike,

No thang to either swage or procure outright.

When I'm in a LR Mood I go Pink Floyd Zulu on the bitch,with those super slickery .331" boresized BC's and generous mag confines.

[Linked Image]

Never liked Volley Sights and am content with 2K irons only.

Gotta LOVE blued/walnut!.

Laughing!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Big Stick - a couple of comments. I use a .17 Remington on fox. It works just fine, thank you.

It is easy to talk about how your gun performs, your best loads, etc. If you really want to tell how your rifle and loads are going to work I would suggest you read Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting by Bryan Litz.

You would learn a lot about how barrel length and other items can affect accuracy, etc.

Instead of talking about a statistically worthless number of tests, results, do the math.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
240 Weatherby Magnum, 100r Partition:
MV: 3395
Drop@ 500 yards (200 yd Zero): -36.9
Bullet deflection 20mph X wind @ 500yds: 50.4"

257 Weatherby Magnum
100gr Partition
MV: 3555
Drop@ 500 yards (200yd zero): -31.1
Bullet deflection 20 mph X wind @ 500 yds: -42.9

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What he said....😉

Originally Posted by jorgeI
240 Weatherby Magnum, 100r Partition:
MV: 3395
Drop@ 500 yards (200 yd Zero): -36.9
Bullet deflection 20mph X wind @ 500yds: 50.4"

257 Weatherby Magnum
100gr Partition
MV: 3555
Drop@ 500 yards (200yd zero): -31.1
Bullet deflection 20 mph X wind @ 500 yds: -42.9

Hank
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
'flave,

25V-Max.

If I was worried about selling fur...it'd be a straight up 17WSM Show with 20's at 3000fps outta a 20" spout. Ruger fhuqked up,by not putting a laminate handle on 'em,but plywood Hornet handles are easy enough to score.

Ruger rotary mags have no equal,the Precision is there,the terminal affects are there,ammo is dirt cheap and it's a straight up sleeper.

Fhuqk the 17 Rem........................

You's trippin'.

But now I'm kinda interested more.

Travis

PS-Fugk yo' couch.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
'S,

Don't interfere with either her Imagination or it's Pretend,mainly because it's all she's got and THAT...would be mean.

Bless her heart..............

what's the old bromide.......

[Linked Image]

Don't wrestle with a Pig............

[Linked Image]

'cause the pig likes it.........

and you'll just end up muddy....

[Linked Image]

most times!!!

HNY there B'

[Linked Image]

I see another BGF is in progress. LOL

Carry on!!!

JAPPFT,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/02/16.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 79S
That's why I asked the question because what stick brought up is what I was thinking he just explained it a lot better... The 100gr bullets have horrible BC the 115's are no better and the few120's out their are not much better. All I read is how this round is the killing machine but it makes me wonder how far folks are actually shooting... When I get back to Ak I'm going to get real serious again about getting a sheep and let's be honest the 257 is not what it is... I'm better off getting a 243 shooting 105 a amax bullets or jump up to a 260.. I know stick is no fan of the 7 mag but I would be better of using my 7 mag on sheep than a 257 weatherby.. Way better bullets out their especially the Barnes lrx bullet or the new hornady bullet.. Anyhow good info.. Will I keep it probably but I will not be using it in Alaska on a sheep hunt or goat hunt...

Do yourself a favor and run some numbers before poo pooing the 257 Wby for your hunt. Out to 500 yds, a saami 243 shooting a 105 AMAX or HPBT ain't gonna hang with a 257 Wby when using a proper 115 gr bullet. Additionally, you better hope your .243 factory 1-10 or 1-9.25 will even stabilize a 105. Not saying it won't, but the possibility is certainly there.

For discussion purposes, here's what the numbers look like....257 Weatherby shooting a 115 Berger VLD at 3400 fps vs a 243 using a 105 AMAX(assuming your 243 will)at 2950 looks like this:

500 yds 257 has a +297 fps velocity advantage; +434 ft/lb energy advantage and 1.77" less drift. 10.02" flatter with 200 yd zero.

At a more realistic hunting range of 300 yds, the 257 has a +351 fps velocity advantage; +591 ft/lb energy advantage and .59" less drift.

Pretty substantial advantage to the 257 Weatherby. Although minimal, even betters the 105 in the wind.

I'm sure some folks here will shiat on the VLD or BST for use in the Weatherby due to their construction, but lets face it, the avg Dall or Mountain Goat at less than 300 lbs isn't going to be terribly tough to kill. Either bullet will work just fine.

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wbyfan1
Originally Posted by 79S
That's why I asked the question because what stick brought up is what I was thinking he just explained it a lot better... The 100gr bullets have horrible BC the 115's are no better and the few120's out their are not much better. All I read is how this round is the killing machine but it makes me wonder how far folks are actually shooting... When I get back to Ak I'm going to get real serious again about getting a sheep and let's be honest the 257 is not what it is... I'm better off getting a 243 shooting 105 a amax bullets or jump up to a 260.. I know stick is no fan of the 7 mag but I would be better of using my 7 mag on sheep than a 257 weatherby.. Way better bullets out their especially the Barnes lrx bullet or the new hornady bullet.. Anyhow good info.. Will I keep it probably but I will not be using it in Alaska on a sheep hunt or goat hunt...

Do yourself a favor and run some numbers before poo pooing the 257 Wby for your hunt. Out to 500 yds, a saami 243 shooting a 105 AMAX or HPBT ain't gonna hang with a 257 Wby when using a proper 115 gr bullet. Additionally, you better hope your .243 factory 1-10 or 1-9.25 will even stabilize a 105. Not saying it won't, but the possibility is certainly there.

For discussion purposes, here's what the numbers look like....257 Weatherby shooting a 115 Berger VLD at 3400 fps vs a 243 using a 105 AMAX(assuming your 243 will)at 2950 looks like this:

500 yds 257 has a +297 fps velocity advantage; +434 ft/lb energy advantage and 1.77 in less drift. 10.02 in flatter with 200 yd zero.

At a more realistic hunting range of300 yds, the 257 has a +351 fps velocity advantage; +591 ft/lb energy advantage and .59 in less drift.

I'm sure some folks here will shiat on the VLD or BST for use in the Weatherby due to their construction, but lets face it, the avg Dall or Mountain Goat at less than 300 lbs isn't going to be terribly tough to kill. Either bullet will work just fine.

I did exactly that earlier the bullet to use would be the 115gr ballistic tip or the Berger.. I guess the whole point of this conversation was why use the 100gr bullets they offer nothing when you are better off using the 115's. I guess guys like the velocities they are getting out of the 100 grain bullets.. Alot of good points brought up but let's be honest their are better cartridges out their.. Again I think guys just like to talk about shooting 100gr bullets at 3600 fps who knows..

Last edited by 79S; 01/02/16.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
GDUB,

Your post with pictures is perfect for those who have difficulty communicating on an adult level. I presume our resident trolls have responded by regurgitating their usual white trash slandering. Wouldn't know, as IGNORE is working well in 2016. Some on here have claimed to have shot a bazillion 257 Weatherby rounds (but now can't stand the cartridge) and have nothing but denigrating comments regarding the Swift Scirocco, I'm pretty confident the basis for these flawed opinions is that neither the Weatherby nor the Scirocco fit the FORMULA preached (and eagerly consumed by many like attendees at a Jim Jones rally) that the ONLY way to test a rifle's ability is to kiss the lands and find pressure. While that is A way, the Weatherby"s freebore and the fact the Scirocco likes to jump a little put dents in the FORMULA. That may cause some to get their panties in a wad. Anyhow, what do I know? My imagination and pretend run wild so I'll have to remain ignorant and clueless, amazed that Scirocco's out of my 243 and 257 Weatherby don't either fall from the sky at 300 yards or bounce off deer and elk. Maybe one day I'll get a clue and discover an AMAX....

Hank
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
As to the 257 Weatherby,

my Accumark was the cat's meow!

However,

I've Been There

[Linked Image]

Done That

[Linked Image]

My go to load was a 100 Gr. Nosler Partition over 73 Gr. IMR 7828. Over my Shooting Chrony, velocity was +/- 3,650 FPS.
It flat killed schitt dead as a hammer.

Problem is, I'm a short range meat hunter. I'd say most of my shots are 200 yds. and under with say 80% of those being 125 yds. and under. I find that cartridges with a MV of 2,800 fps do much less meat damage at those ranges.

Consequently I've moved on.

JAPPFT,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Somebody that biatches about swift scirocco's, simply ain't killed schitt with em... HINT

And they probably think a 17 hummer is a giant killer... grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use the 110 Accubond at 3530 out of my Fibermark.

Nothing has walked away from the 257 Bee,

[Linked Image]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 3,294 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,608
Posts18,473,774
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.