Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Why didn't they put this tip on the A-max first?

It's called the ELD-Match.

That really doesn't answer the question though... And it's a good one.

If they're saying that the polymer used in match bullets is melting then wouldn't they replace that component in their tipped match bullets at least simultaneously with the release of this new one?

The new one has an interlock ring which means nothing for REAL match shooting, and the BCs are lower than comparable AMs which tells me the ELD-Match has that word in its name for the crowd who likes shooting target bullets at animals long range.

Seems like a narrow crowd to support a whole new line, but who knows.

GB1

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Why didn't they put this tip on the A-max first?

It's called the ELD-Match.

That really doesn't answer the question though... And it's a good one.

If they're saying that the polymer used in match bullets is melting then wouldn't they replace that component in their tipped match bullets at least simultaneously with the release of this new one?

The new one has an interlock ring which means nothing for REAL match shooting, and the BCs are lower than comparable AMs which tells me the ELD-Match has that word in its name for the crowd who likes shooting target bullets at animals long range.

Seems like a narrow crowd to support a whole new line, but who knows.

I must be missing something....it appears that the ELD-Match beats the AMax BC in every caliber offered...minor differences, but it appears to be an AMax with a new tip.

In case it isn't clear:
Hornady introduced 2 new bullet lines.
The ELD-Match and the ELD-X....the X is the 'hunting' line with lower BC and interlok. The Match is basically an AMax with new tip.

Last edited by djp; 12/30/15. Reason: extra-special info.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Oh pardon me; I wasn't clear on the fact that match & hunting were different.

Thanks for that clarification!

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The guys at gunwerks helped develop and test these bullets. The have taken a number of animals and most were longer ranges. The kills I have seen were pretty DRT and clean. I'm waiting for Bryan litz to test the bc of them and see what real numbers are. The 143gr 6.5 seems to be a great bullet and I'd like to try them once my new build is done.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Why is it that those who don't kill at long range are concerned about bullets designed for killing at long range, and worried because they expand rapidly at close range?

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
These are going to be fine, as long as the shots are long. I think that for the average guy, they will be the same as an SST-very frangible. They tried to say that the SST is an interlock. That is pure crap. I have shot tons of Interlocks, and the SST cannot hang with them for performance on game at reasonable ranges. I think that polymer tip is great, but I believe that it has a lot to do with the destructive expansion, also.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
same reason they bish about FFP scopes on a hunting rifle?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I gotta laugh. I don't know if bullet manufacturers have us chasing our tails each claiming one bullet over another to ad nauseam, or if they're just incompetent.

It seems like the Hornady GMX would be a viable competitor to the Barnes ttsx, BUT, they can't figure out how to make it open up at long range. Why? The SST blows up. Again, why? ELD-X with and without a tip that does or doesn't melt, Holy Cow! The this the that to infinity, and beyond!

Why not make the perfect bullet, and stop production of all others? 100% weight retention, perfect full expansion at any reasonable velocity through any material likely encountered. Hint- tapered jacketed mono-metal with expansion initiating plastic tip!

Oh yeah, opinions sell bullets.

A jacketed mono-metal. That's the ticket.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So much obsession it seems about retained weight and small wound channels.

I've found in 10 000 plus head of game culled, that softer bullets kill way more quickly than hard ones.

I've used so many SSTs, Sierra GKs and various hollowpoints on game and though sometimes there is a LOT of meat damage, I'd rather see a dead animal with a huge exit wound than try to find the bloody thing in the scrub.

Aren't they designed to expand?

I'll be keen to use the ELDX.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bobnob17
So much obsession it seems about retained weight and small wound channels.

I've found in 10 000 plus head of game culled, that softer bullets kill way more quickly than hard ones.

I've used so many SSTs, Sierra GKs and various hollowpoints on game and though sometimes there is a LOT of meat damage, I'd rather see a dead animal with a huge exit wound than try to find the bloody thing in the scrub.

Aren't they designed to expand?

I'll be keen to use the ELDX.

True, unless they expand rapidly and don't penetrate well. That can lead to a bad follow-up or a lost animal. I, personally, don't want a bullet to dynamite.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Why is it that those who don't kill at long range are concerned about bullets designed for killing at long range, and worried because they expand rapidly at close range?

I've scratched my head trying to figure that one out for a long time now.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Probably they are concerned over too much expansion and the loss of blood shot meat at short range.
My read of the ELD-X is that they will perform very well at both ranges. End of anyones concern.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The summation in the NRA read shows how real science works. The Doppler data and graph showed something they didn't expect. So they revised their hypothesis and raised the melting point of the tip from 475* to something over 700*. Also the continuous data provided by the Doppler readout gave them real time data over the distance of the shot - something that hasn't been done, according to the author.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

For the same reason fly-fishermen worry about whether there's a barb on the single-hook of my #1 Mepps....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 805
I'm waiting for Bryan litz to test the bc of them and see what real numbers are. The 143gr 6.5 seems to be a great bullet and I'd like to try them once my new build is done.

Hornady is using Doppler radar. How would Litz obtain more accurate info with his system of acoustic sensors?

RLTW
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Probably they are concerned over too much expansion and the loss of blood shot meat at short range.
My read of the ELD-X is that they will perform very well at both ranges. End of anyones concern.

Exactly. Could care less about ruining meat...shoulder meat sucks anyway. I do care about a bullet blowing up on a shoulder and a rodeo to recover a elk running away on three legs. Had some of that this year.

lefty C

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I gotta laugh. I don't know if bullet manufacturers have us chasing our tails each claiming one bullet over another to ad nauseam, or if they're just incompetent.

It seems like the Hornady GMX would be a viable competitor to the Barnes ttsx, BUT, they can't figure out how to make it open up at long range. Why? The SST blows up. Again, why? ELD-X with and without a tip that does or doesn't melt, Holy Cow! The this the that to infinity, and beyond!

Why not make the perfect bullet, and stop production of all others? 100% weight retention, perfect full expansion at any reasonable velocity through any material likely encountered. Hint- tapered jacketed mono-metal with expansion initiating plastic tip!

Oh yeah, opinions sell bullets.

A jacketed mono-metal. That's the ticket.

Thinking about Hornady's advertising and using the jacket material instead of solid copper. Brainfart. Good catch.

LOL
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Exactly. Could care less about ruining meat...shoulder meat sucks anyway. I do care about a bullet blowing up on a shoulder and a rodeo to recover a elk running away on three legs. Had some of that this year.

lefty C

Lefty: What happened?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

For the same reason fly-fishermen worry about whether there's a barb on the single-hook of my #1 Mepps....

Mmmm.....not quite. I'm sure no one really cares what you use. That's up to you. wink

Wondering about it...and caring....are two entirely different things.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/02/16.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

407 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,011
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.