Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Yeah, I was gonna be anatomically accurate, and identify them as Pork Butts. Then I remembered the maturity level of the site on which I'd be posting this... grin

So anyway... The local store had bone-in butts for $1.59/lb, so I grabbed a couple, and I'll smoke them Friday night into Saturday on the WSM. Heretofore, I've just seasoned with Stubbs rub, 'n let 'em fly 'til done.

Still, I've seen the fancy folks on TV (back when I had cable) squirt 'em full of proprietary mystery concoctions with syringes. I've even seen a commercial product (from French's, if I'm not mistaken) that had a stout plastic cap with an opening cut at a steep angle, such that it could be used as a syringe.

What say those in the know? What to put in the liquid? How much to make? Will it appreciably alter smoking time? Pictures welcome!

Thanks,

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
GB1

I inject mine with the rub mixture (add to your taste) and apple juice. I then place them in the smoker at 225 degrees for 2 hours per pound or until internal temps reach 190 degrees (for pulled pork).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever you decide to use keep in mind that a little vinegar added to your injection is never a bad thing. Delicious for pulled pork sammies.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
So, (Stubbs Rub + apple juice + rice vinegar might) work OK?

FC

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Butter, garlic and lemon juice.
Works pretty good in a turkey, too.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
So, (Stubbs Rub + apple juice + rice vinegar might) work OK?

FC

No exp. with Stubbs Rub or rice vinegar,however, my rub of choice simmered in a little vegetable oil (many spices are not water soluable so VO sems to work) mixed with some apple cider vinegar works for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like the others have said, your rub, inject a simple brine, and let rest over night. Inject it, cut/poke slits and soak it over night and then rub. Makes little difference. It will be juicy no matter how you do it as long as you don't over cook it.

Just put it into the smoker cold and you will end up with a great smoke ring and delicious meat.

Sean
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^^^This

I used to dick around with injecting apple juice and rub mixture into it. It really isn't worth the effort IMO.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't inject meat that takes as long too cook as pork shoulder.

Possibly injecting bacteria into meat that may take more than 4 hours to get into the safe zone makes me nervous.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mike.....should we inform????

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a few different injections they are all winners ...but.....one takes the cake 😇 2 different butts need two different injections ...to see what u like apple juice ,salt with out iodine, butter in the blue squeeze bottle, and a hit of rub, is basic and easy,u can very the juice (but stay away from cherry juice!! 😷. Bacon grease/soyvsauce / mustard in and out >>>Been there done that , thing is u want it a bit on the salty side IMO ...I wash the cryovac pkg with the butt in it and inject right in the pkg /easy/clean and its all in there , remove and rinse before u add the the rub ...I start my butts/porkers at room temp ...192deg foil with a stick of blue bonnet, and a had full of brown sugar seal and drop in a pre heated cooler of the right size...pull it to eat any where's from a hour of set time to 10 hours ....if u did it right ...no one can tell ! .....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well how did it go ?

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
The method "anonymously" PM'd to me ( grin ) worked like a charm!

The temp went higher than I thought it would, and faster: in 2 hours & 40 minutes, it was already around 285 degrees. The meat had gone from 32 to 108 in that time. I closed the vents down from 100% open to 80%. Still, in another 2 hours, the temp was at 290, and the meat was already at 151. This time, I closed the vents down to 20% open, and the temp settled at 225 and stayed there. The meat ended up done (192, as it turned out), in about 9 1/2 hours.

The meat was a tad light on the smoke ring, but had excellent smoke flavor, good bark, and was really juicy. The biggest difference I noticed in this batch was that the meat kept its moisture really well even after shredding and cooling. This is the biggest difference I noticed between brining and injecting. The brined meat I've smoked in the past would often dry out once after it was shredded & allowed to cool.

I did one butt with Stubbs Texas Butter Marinade, and the other with the Chris Lilly recipe that's all over the web. I gave the former to a buddy whose wife is on the mend, and we ate the latter. While I liked the latter a lot, I think I'll have to try the former for myself: the scrapings from the grate were awfully damned good, and the friend and his wife were RAVING about it.

I think there's probably something to having some fat in the injection cocktail: there was none included in the Lilly recipe. My gut tells me that some EVOO would not be out of place in the mix. wink

Thanks again to all.

FC

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

I think there's probably something to having some fat in the injection cocktail: there was none included in the Lilly recipe. My gut tells me that some EVOO would not be out of place in the mix. wink

Thanks again to all.

FC

A little fat in the injection is never a bad thing. While pork butts have the ideal fat-to-lean ratio that you want in a slow-cooking meat (about 75/25 lean to fat) they do vary from piece to piece and a little extra oil to help lubricate the muscle fibers during cooking is never a bad thing. The extra juiciness you're experiencing from an injected solution is likely due to better salt penetration of the butts vs basic brining which requires a long, slow process of osmosis to draw the salt into the product. By injecting a saline solution into the muscle, you're allowing the salt to penetrate deeper where it holds onto water throughout the cooking process giving you a better piece of meat when all is said and done. Also, allowing the meat to "rest" before cutting or shredding prevents drying out as well.

If you really want to do it up right, grab yourself one of these bad boys and pump 10% of the weight of the meat you are cooking in brine into the sucker and then let it sit in brine as well for 24 hours. You'll think you've died and gone to heaven. That's how I make the Irish-cured bacon for St. Patrick's Day every year where I work.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Butcher BBQ injection.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by byc

Enough bushin round the beat, what gives?

Dizzy what with what?

Sean
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I do a 50/50 injection of Apple juice to Apple Cider vinegar. I do this the day before and coat with a rub. Let sit and soak.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Dr. Pepper with garlic powder

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Originally Posted by byc

Enough bushin round the beat, what gives?

Dizzy what with what?

1 Cup Apple Juice
1/2 Cup Peach or Mango Nectar
2/3 Cup Sugar
1 Tbsp Kosher Salt
1/2 Tbsp MSG (it makes even water taste good!!)
1 Tbsp Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust ground fine with a pestle and mortar

I also like Butcher BBQ's Pork Injection mixed with peach nectar or Dr. Pepper instead of water.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Never felt the need to have to inject a pork butt

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

398 members (160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 163bc, 1OntarioJim, 33 invisible), 2,186 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,134
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.