Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Smith & Wesson M&P-15 AR 5.56 Nato 1/7 twist.

I tried shooting some reloads through it...Winchester brass, Nosler 50 gr BT. When I pull the charge bar back and chamber a load, all I get is a click, sometimes nothing. THEN I can't extract the unfired round with out pounding on the chargebar.

What's going on?

Why is it called a double u, should'nt it be called a double v?
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Common problem. You need to run the brass through a small base die to ensure proper FL resize. Redding makes one.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm no expert but I'd say small base dies are probably in order.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was the brass FL resized?

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mailmanmark
Was the brass FL resized?

No I'm pretty sure I ran it through a neck sizer only. The reloads were originally for a 223 Kimber Montana.

Why is it called a double u, should'nt it be called a double v?
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That is the problem. Full length resize and that should fix the problem. A small bsae sizer die probably isn't necessary.

μολὼν λαβέ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
screw your die in a 1/4 turn at the time, size the brass until it does not get stuck, no need to load a bullet to try it, just make sure it is trimmed. You die is not into the press far enough and is not sizing the brass all the way. You don't need small base dies, I have reloaded 1000's of 223 cartridges with regular dies... and seen the exact phenomena on this and other cartridges.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Make sure you aren't smashing the neck down into the case and bulging the shoulder

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've had the same thing happen with a brand new AR pistol upper. The reload rounds fired fine in my other ARs and in my friends AR that was with me. Factory ammo would fire fine in that AR pistol upper, but none of my reloads would fire or extract.

Over the course of a couple trips to the range I ended up shooting about 200 rounds of factory ammo through that pistol upper to break it in and then went back to my reloads. They have all worked flawlessly since.

Good is not good when better is expected. ~ Thomas Fuller
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've NEVER seen an AR need small base dies. Ever. But anything is possible.

First your brass needs to be sized to your chamber. What is your chamber reading? How much are you sizing it? IE neck size it better come ONLY from that chamber and even then it could be fun at times.

Better to bushing neck/FL size them about .002 to .003 under fired size...

I've also never seen a chamber that needed 223 brass to be trimmed.... but do pay attention to that just in case...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff, there isn't any difference between a .223 SB die and any other random 223 die. They both size to the same dimensions within a tolerance. You can find regular dies that size smaller than a SB die.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It's due to fireforming in the Kimbers chamber and then neck or partial sizing.

Small base die will fix your existing brass or you can start new and keep the respective brass segregated.

If you want to share the brass between the two you will need small base dies.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not sure about those small base dies. I share brass among about 5 different 223/556 and just FL size with standard RCBS dies.

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with the others, you need to set up your die to resize your cases. Along with a FL die set (skip the small base, it's not mecessary), get a headspace comparator to use with a set of calipers to set your die up with. You have no idea how much you are sizing without one. Set your dies up to bump the shoulder back .002"-.004" and you should be good to go.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Supertrucker
No I'm pretty sure I ran it through a neck sizer only. The reloads were originally for a 223 Kimber Montana.

I'm guessing you no longer have the Montana, and you don't want to chuck the brass.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by deflave

Small base die will fix your existing brass or you can start new and keep the respective brass segregated.

Really bad advice. If you use a small base die, and don't adjust the damn thing properly, IE the brass going through has a longer shoulder to base (datum line length), you'll get wedged brass just like you're getting now. Mashing the ass-end of the case down more isn't solving the problem. Like Rost said, a SB die is never needed except maybe if it is surplus range pickup that has gone through a hot SAW.

Like Rost said, obtain the tooling to actually measure the datum length of your brass, after its fired and after it is sized. I like to shoot for resized brass 0.005 shorter than the chamber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty much.

Good idea to fire some factory loads in the AR in question, and measure the fired cases with this and a caliper:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/47...space-gage-5-bushing-set-with-comparator

Once you have the measurement of the shoulder location of a fired case, adjust your sizer die so it is setting back the shoulder ~.002-.003". Then you should have good accuracy and reliability.

I've never needed small base dies, in several AR's, of both the -15 and -10 variety.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BarryC
Jeff, there isn't any difference between a .223 SB die and any other random 223 die. They both size to the same dimensions within a tolerance. You can find regular dies that size smaller than a SB die.

Thats dumb. SB are SUPPOSED to size the base diameter smaller for easier chambering.

If the 223 SB are not doing that, then its false advertising.

Like I said I have never seen a 223 SB or owned one.

In a M1A I have SB 308 size dies produce ammo thast more accurate.. sample of one.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sometimes multiple rifles can share brass without issue. Matter of fact, lots of times they can.

But when they can't, you need a small base die.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rost495

Thats dumb. SB are SUPPOSED to size the base diameter smaller for easier chambering.

If the 223 SB are not doing that, then its false advertising.

Like I said I have never seen a 223 SB or owned one.

In a M1A I have SB 308 size dies produce ammo thast more accurate.. sample of one.

I'll bet you $20 a SB die fixes his problem.

Travis

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 25classic, 2500HD, 222Sako, 57 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,965
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.