Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Ruger has had a lot of success with the "plastic junk mags" in the millions of 10/22s that they've sold since 1964.

Comparing the RAR mag to the 10/22 mag is akin to comparing a 710 to a Tikka IMO. eek

wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Would you prefer that Ruger would have adopted a plastic staggered magazine like the 710's for the RAR?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Technoman26
Since you're asking for opinions, I'll give you mine. The same reason they changed the finish on the blued version. Nobody liked the matte finish. Period. End of discussion. (from my POV at least)

I'm betting that in a year (or sooner), you'll see Ruger release a SS Hawkeye with the old Mark II style (or similar "shiny") SS finish.

Of course, that's WAG.

That's not my WAG but I hope you are right. I prefer the old MK II style to the "matte" finish on the all weather. BY A LONG WAY.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Where are all these cheap close out All Weathers located at??I am not finding them.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We went through well over 100. Just a few of the magnums left...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by czech1022

What happened?

Perhaps they felt sorry for Winchester?

Fu ck those Portuguese bastids...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boliep
Originally Posted by OlongJohnson
If anything specific, I'd say competition from Tikka. The T3 Lite stainless is lighter, easier handling, smoother bolt in the store, smoother/prettier finish on the metal and much nicer fit and finish on the stock. In an AR world, lots of buyers probably regard the DBMs as an advantage. Read up, you'll likely consider superb accuracy to be a safer bet with the Tikka. And at MSRP, the Finn is about $150 less.

Most buyers aren't going to regard being built a little heavier/more ruggedly, nor the controlled round feed as sufficient advantages to choose a Hawkeye over the T3, if both are at non-clearance street prices.

That said, I'm having a really hard time not picking up a blue walnut Hawkeye right now.

You forgot to mention that the Tikka has a far better trigger too.

Give me thirty minutes with a Ruger and it'll make you forget the Tikka trigger.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by Technoman26
Since you're asking for opinions, I'll give you mine. The same reason they changed the finish on the blued version. Nobody liked the matte finish. Period. End of discussion. (from my POV at least)

I'm betting that in a year (or sooner), you'll see Ruger release a SS Hawkeye with the old Mark II style (or similar "shiny") SS finish.

Of course, that's WAG.

That's not my WAG but I hope you are right. I prefer the old MK II style to the "matte" finish on the all weather. BY A LONG WAY.

I don't really think it's a metal finish but rather a cheap ceracote imitation coating. It sure rubs off pretty easy.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
CDNN has some on their site.

C
CMH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've been trying really hard to resist one of the leftovers in 338 since I found out about the closeout prices.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I don't think it failed, they just see more profit elsewhere right now. When the demand returns for the All Weathers, they will make more. For now, there are a bunch still out there.

I have a Predator, and the stock is very little, if any, heavier than the molded stock on the AW, although the barrel contour is a bit beefier. The laminated stock is nicely machine-checkered and well finished, but the recoil pad is a bit stiff compared to the squishy one on the AW. The two-stage trigger is pretty nice too, with just an occasional bit of creep in the final stage, easily managed. I floated it and trimmed the mag box a bit, which rounded out the groups just a mite. All in all, a really solid rifle; not cheap, but well worth the price.

Always liked the various laminated stocks on the 77's better than their synthetics
- I never could dream up a useful purpose for the boat paddles indentations: maybe a fitted snap in pouch for extra ammo with compass & first-aid ?
These newer synthetics leave me cold.

I need one of these laminated Predators in .204R, if I really want a lighter synthetic stock I'd rather install an McM of some sort.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

What happened?

Why?? You should of formed a group and bought them back in 2005 when they shut the plant down lol oh Lawrence you crack me up...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a couple of Boyds Heritage laminated stocks on my 223 and 6.5 Creed RAR-Predators. I like the ergs, but they add an entire pound to the package.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

What happened?

Given that the Hawkeye is largely based upon the Model 70,
and they are both stumbling in market share ...

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple of Boyds Heritage laminated stocks on my 223 and 6.5 Creed RAR-Predators. I like the ergs, but they add an entire pound to the package.

Mo Betta for Walkabout w/ McM ?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Putting a $500 McM on a $330 RAR-P seems like a "stone soup" build that will end up costing more than it is worth. At least that is the way I tend to look at it, seeing that I'm the owner of more than a couple "stone soup" build that got out of control, just a few dollars at a time.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Putting a $500 McM on a $330 RAR-P seems like a "stone soup" build that will end up costing more than it is worth. At least that is the way I tend to look at it, seeing that I'm the owner of more than a couple "stone soup" build that got out of control, just a few dollars at a time.

Everybody needs to go down a rabbit hole like that once laugh

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I love that analogy. It's perfect for most Savages.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
260 : I saw that yours were RAR based after posting, and I totally agree. It is way too easy to get in deeper than anticipated without prior rational thought & discussion.

I do think a Hawkeye 77 might be the ticket for my .204 Predator walk-Around though. And for XC Ski around - that wants a tad shorter barrel though.

The trend is towards cheaper and cheaper though. Market competition pushes this with each new design introduced. These older more traditional designs costs are slipping up into the price points that start to justify the semi-customs like Montana or Kimber's 84 L/M etc.

It is nice to have choices.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by lastround

Give me thirty minutes with a Ruger and it'll make you forget the Tikka trigger.

#1, I'm not anti Ruger.
#2, I can only speak for MY Tikka,

There's not any better trigger than on my T3 Lite SS
No offense.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 7 invisible), 1,420 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,511
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.