Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
leftycarbon,

Have never had the opportunity to put a 200-grain Partition through both shoulders of a broadside elk, but have seen a 150 Hornady Interlock from a .30-06 through both shoulders and exit. A lot depends on what part of the shoulders they hit. In the instance of the 150 Hornady it went through both shoulder blades.

Perhaps the most impressive penetration from a 200 Partition I've seen was on an average 6-point bull. The bullet hit the middle of the big shoulder joint and exited at the rear of the ribcage on the other side.

Have shot lengthwise through a big mule deer buck with a 200-grain Partition, and have recovered a 168 TSX from a big mule deer from an angling shot that went in just in front of the left hip. The bullet ended up in the right shoulder.

I am not saying which bullet is superior, just saying that people who haven't used the 200 Partition shouldn't assume a TSX will always penetrate deeper.

John, you are pretty logical. Your views are probably somewhere in between O'Connor and Keith. Good to have you around here..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've shot 12 animals with the 180 grain partition in my 300 Winchester magnum and caught 2, one in a bushbuck and one in a blesbok. I've switched to 200 grain partitions in that rifle but haven't tried them on game.

So my choice would be 3,1,2.

TANSTAAFL
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Old Crab, I was a AB fanman all the way. I have since went back to a 180g Partition on my -06. Could not be happier. No loss in accuracy, nothing. Killes 'em dead.

My son loaded up some 200g. partitions that I use in my 300RUM. He likes them and they are accurate... even more so than the AB's in his -06. I know there is a lot to that equation, but he is sticking with that combo. I will stick with the 180's.

I think any of the three will do you well.

Good Luck.

WM

Last edited by Wondermutt; 12/08/15.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My first choice would be the 180 Partition, second the 180 grain Partition, third choice the same.
I have seen "lots" of elk taken with the Partition and the results are boring as hell, dead elk everywhere and Partition performance every time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
Here's a great brain teaser for you all when you look at terminal ballistics on three very fine bullet choices for big game... which would you pick after reading the ballistics?

bullet 1: 168 grain TTSX
mv: 2800fps; 500 yards energy: 1343ft/pds at 1898fps with sd of .253

bullet 2: 180 grain Nosler partition spitzer
mv: 2730fps; 500 yards energy: 1345ft/pds at 1834fps with sd of .271

bullet 3: 200 grain Nosler partition semi-spitzer
mv: 2625fps; 500 yards energy: 1380ft/pds at 1763fps with sd of .301

hmmmm.......

All good bullets, but the sectional densities are all growing with the additional bullet weight, and they all carry considerable energy to a 500 yard target.

So, if you could work up a "good load" (reasonable accuracy) with the three bullets above, which one do you think is really going to do more damage, generally, looking at the fps/energy/sd differences on the three???

How's this for a good brain teaser?
wink

TTSX and you can push it faster than 2800 without much of a problem.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
For Elk and Moose, there is only one right choice;

200 Grain Nosler Partition.

Forget the past the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bonecrusher338
For Elk and Moose, there is only one right choice;

200 Grain Nosler Partition.

No wonder they call you bonecrusher... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
memtb,

Unfortunately, retained weight doesn't have nearly as much effect on penetration as frontal area of a bullet....

It does seem that way sometimes,
but penetration tests done with 9,3x62 in elephant showed that weight retention was ones best friend by a large margin.

WL 286gn went 20"
WL 320gn went 40"

NP 286gn went 23"
AFrame 300gn went 42"

The 286NP is only 5% lighter that the AF300 and NP had rather noticeably smaller expanded dia. than the AF.
so the NP should be the winner, yes?...well no, since NP penetration was miles behind the AF.
Final weight for NP was 217gn (75%) and the AF 298.5gn.(99%)

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Used the 200 and 180 Partitions on quite a few animals, not from a 30/06 but from various 300 magnums. The 200 digs deeper but there are no flies on the 180 at any distance.It will exit sometimes and other times stay inside a heavy animal. It will break both shoulders of a bull elk from what I have seen. Seems it's velocity dependent.

My experience is similar to John's in terms of seeing the 200 gr penetration. One bull elk was hit back forward of the flank, into the back ribs, and the bullet smashed the upper leg bones on the opposite side....one of Elmer's "raking shots". I did not recover that bullet.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Starman,

Your results are classic "examples of one," and are flawed in other ways, since obviously original bullet weight and muzzle velocity were not the same.

Repeated bullet tests repeated in various kinds of media (including animals), using bullets bullets of equal original weight at a wide variety of velocities, show that frontal area of the mushroom affects penetration as much or more than retained weight. This is especially applicable at higher muzzle velocities.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
180 partition in 300 wtby has been a dismal failure on our white tails if you try a frontal shot, barely makes it to the hindquarter... I have a small 6mm, slower than 243 that does the same with 85 tsx...

On nilgai, which are 500ish pounds, I've shot a few... quartering shots the 180s never exited... ugh....

JB told me the 200 partitions where the thing with mags.. to not use the 180 partitions..

I solved the issue by going all barnes basically if possible.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Starman
memtb,

Unfortunately, retained weight doesn't have nearly as much effect on penetration as frontal area of a bullet....

It does seem that way sometimes,
but penetration tests done with 9,3x62 in elephant showed that weight retention was ones best friend by a large margin.

WL 286gn went 20"
WL 320gn went 40"

NP 286gn went 23"
AFrame 300gn went 42"

The 286NP is only 5% lighter that the AF300 and NP had rather noticeably smaller expanded dia. than the AF.
so the NP should be the winner, yes?...well no, since NP penetration was miles behind the AF.
Final weight for NP was 217gn (75%) and the AF 298.5gn.(99%)

Regarding the “winner”, initial and final weights and final expanded diameter only tell part of the story. How fast the bullet expands plays an important role. My guess is the NP expanded sooner/faster.

Impact velocity also plays an important role. Given identical bullets, it has been shown many times that the slower bullet will often penetrate deeper. This may be in part or even mostly due to how soon/fast the bullet the bullets expand or it may have to do with the mechanical properties of the impact – push your hand flat into water and there is no problem, slap it into the water fast enough and your hand will turn to mush.

For example, take a couple of .458” hardcast FN bullets fired from my .45-70 into water jugs. The first was a 460g Cast Performance WFNGC @ 1812fps while the second was a 300g Oregon Trail Laser-Cast bullet at 1167fps. The 460g bullet (461.2g actual) had a sectional density of .314 and started out with 3362 ft-lbs energy and a relative momentum of 836 while the 300g had a sectional density of .204 with a paltry 907 ft-lbs energy and a relative momentum of 350. After firing into the water jugs the 460g bullet retained 352.9g with a maximum width of 0.58” (due more to a bent/deformed tip leaning to one side than true expansion). Expansion and final weight of the 300g bullets was unknown as none were recovered but the Laser-Cast bullets are hard and little expansion or weight loss, if any, is likely.

Given just these numbers many people would expect the 460g bullet to penetrate further – after all it had 1.54x the mass and sectional density, 1.55x the velocity, 3.7x the energy and 2.4x the momentum, all packaged into a projectile with the same diameter and (more or less) construction. Those people would be wrong – way wrong.

In fact, the 460g bullet stopped in the 9th water jug. The 300g bullet repeatedly exited 12 water jugs. One notable difference was the amount of destruction. The 460g bullet violently destroyed many of the water jugs while the 300g passed through the 12 jugs destroying one or two but leaving only entrance and exit holes leaking water in the rest.

Another bullet tested was the 350g North Fork SS at 2189fps. This bullet started out with 3726 ft-lbs energy and a relative momentum of 767. It expanded to 0.80” and stopped in the 6th water jug. Not only did this bullet violently destroy most of the water jugs, it did a lot of damage to the sawhorses and plywood surface the jugs were resting on as well. The plywood was a 12” wide strip of 1/2” or 19/32” plywood. The front water jug was resting on the leading edge of the plywood, flush against the right side. The bullet impact not only destroyed a lot of the water jugs, the concussive force blew a hole in the plywood that matched the footprint of the first water jug. The force also broke the horizontal support of the front sawhorse, dropping the plywood and water jugs to the ground. It just goes to show that penetration is not a good measure of a bullet’s destructive ability. If it was we would all be shooting non-expanding spire point solids for big game hunting.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/06/16.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
what powder/how much do you use to get 2625 with a 200 partition?? ( 59 grain of h-4831?) also if you could get the federal high energy 180 grain tipped bonded bear claw at 2880 fps that would be one I would really consider. I do shoot factory ammo rarely , but my older federal high energy ammo loaded with both 180 partitions and 180 bear claws get 2888 out of a 22" Remington 700 mtn rifle. light gun a lot of recoil.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
roninflag,

Not Old Crab, but I use 59.0 H4831SC in my NULA .30-06 with the 200 Partition. It has a 24" barrel and the load averages 2690 fps.

Still have a little bit of the High Energy 180 Trophy Bonded load you mention, and in the NULA it averages around 2940 fps, with decent accuracy. But Federal doesn't make anything like it anymore, partly because in a few rifles with tight barrels and/or chambers it was pretty warm. I know of a couple rifles where the load blew primers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Starman,

Your results are classic "examples of one," and are flawed in other ways, since obviously original bullet weight and muzzle velocity were not the same.

MD,

you yourself compared a 200NP to the 168TSX for penetration
their MVs and original weights are also not the same, should we consider it a flawed comparison?

Repeated bullet tests repeated in various kinds of media (including animals),....

I don't put much relevance in any of those other( non animal tissue) kinds of test media.
Since none of them accurately replicate the mechanical properties of animal tissue reaction to projectiles.
some of them give very misleading results.
But they sure are good for entertainment purposes and to easily impress the uneducated.

Ballistic GEL:
is often used to test bullets, but its actually a Non-Newtonian (shear thickening) media,
can you say animal tissue reacts with the same Newtonian properties?
For a start, blood itself reacts the exact opposite to the reaction one gets from ballistic gel,
blood gets less viscous(less resistant) when agitated while ballistic gel gets more viscous(more resistant) with agitation.
(to give people an idea of how important the Newtownian nature of a particular bullet test media is,
just consider that they are designing bullet proof vests with Non Newtonian-shear thickening fluids.
So its not something to ignore.)

Telephone book tests:
These tests make me laugh, simply because animal tissue does not at all react like wet paper to a rifle projectile.
Paper has very different shear and tensile properties to animal tissue. Wet paper also "wads -up" to form a
clump in front of a travelling projectile....as such it produces a larger frontal- larger wound channel and larger exit hole
in the paper than would be achieved with just a bullet passing through animal tissue.
We know that the greens found in an animals gut do (like paper)also wad-up and slow/stop a bullet considerably
So a sensible person would not use either of such type clumping-wading materials to simulate penetration of animal tissue
..or the common chest shot.

Water jug tests :
water is not like animal tissue because it does not compress.
Water is also not like blood or ballistic gel, because the Newtonian nature of water is that its viscosity does not change
with agitation.
Water is at best a good bullet trap.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd let the accuracy of either the 180NP or the 200 NP which one to use. Either one is as good as the other.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a bad choice in the bunch. Lot of talk on how the bullet performs after it hits the critter. I'd say that how it prerforms getting there is just as important. Especially if you find yourself needing to take a poke. That being said, I'll add the 175g Barnes LRX to the list.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Starman,

I don't use ballistic gelatin or wet paper, because I have found through plenty of experimentation that neither resembles shooting animals.

You might read the chapter in my most recent book on pre-testing big game bullets to find out what I do use, because the "test media" used more closely replicates the results from shooting lots of animals.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Sorry, but I am 1;2;3. I have shot a bunch of animals with the 30-06 and Hornady 165 grain bullets. They never let me down. Actually I don't shoot anything but 165 grain Hornady bullets. Moose aren't that hard to kill, and there isn't one animal I shot with the 30-06 that a heavier bullet or partition would have made them any deader...

This.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Sorry, but I am 1;2;3. I have shot a bunch of animals with the 30-06 and Hornady 165 grain bullets. They never let me down. Actually I don't shoot anything but 165 grain Hornady bullets. Moose aren't that hard to kill, and there isn't one animal I shot with the 30-06 that a heavier bullet or partition would have made them any deader...

This.

Of course same could be said of smaller rounds too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 35, 44mc, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7887mm08, 10 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 910 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,152
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.