Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
New Haven is currently a .300 WM, so the bolt face works.

Thoughts?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Wrong thread pitch..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Well damn.

Guess I need to call Lilja.

Last edited by nyrifleman; 12/28/15.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sorry buddy. I saw the barrel on ebay as well... Looks like someone might get a good deal on that one, if that's the one you were considering..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
That's the one.

Knew it was too simple to work!

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Is the newer EW large enough to rethread the barrel? Seems like I remember a buddy doing it with a 243 Classic Receiver and putting a new FN barrel on his.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by beretzs
Is the newer EW large enough to rethread the barrel? Seems like I remember a buddy doing it with a 243 Classic Receiver and putting a new FN barrel on his.

Why yes I did... smile

I took a late 90's classic stainless BOSS in 243 and removed the barrel, took a brand new take off barrel from a current 243 FWT stainless, had the threads turned off, had it rethreaded, ran a reamer to headspace, clocked, and installed. You can't tell it wasn't original except it doesn't say "made in New Haven"

Shoots a ragged 3/4 inch hole currently.

I made it for my oldest daughter who just turned 8 last month. She picked out the stain for the stock, I refinished and checkered it ( her design on the forend).
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yup, your the man I was speaking of buddy.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Darn, I missed that one! I'm on the hunt for one of those barrels too.(if anyone has a line on one, pm me) I had a chance at another that I let slip through my finger before I figured out it could be done. I have a spare Classic Stainless .300 WM lefty that I'd like to turn into a .264 WM. For whatever reason, I think a Winchester marked barrel would be kinda nice.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tmitch
Darn, I missed that one! I'm on the hunt for one of those barrels too.(if anyone has a line on one, pm me) I had a chance at another that I let slip through my finger before I figured out it could be done. I have a spare Classic Stainless .300 WM lefty that I'd like to turn into a .264 WM. For whatever reason, I think a Winchester marked barrel would be kinda nice.

If you use a right hand barrel on a left hand receiver, wouldn't the lettering be upside down anyway? The cut-out for the extractor would designate how the barrel is indexed.... Pre64hornet, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the answer to the op's question is still no. He can't just "screw a 264 EW barrel on" to a USRAC receiver. Your suggestion was a damn good one, but I'm wondering what most smiths would charge for the extra machining work???? My next question is what changes, if any, were done to the BACO barrel's extractor cut-out to make it work on the USRAC? I believe Greydog here had issues with the depth of the cut-out. Thanks..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Pre64hornet, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the answer to the op's question is still no. He can't just "screw a 264 EW barrel on" to a USRAC receiver. Your suggestion was a damn good one, but I'm wondering what most smiths would charge for the extra machining work???? My next question is what changes, if any, were done to the BACO barrel's extractor cut-out to make it work on the USRAC? I believe Greydog here had issues with the depth of the cut-out. Thanks..

I wasn't answering the OP's question, sorry if that was a little miss-leading. I was answering Scotty's post.

The Smith I used was in Kansas City at Snap Shots Gun shop. He charged me 125 for the entire job. Barrel cost me 40. As far as I know he didn't do anything to modify the extractor cut out. All i asked for was it to work. smile I have fired it 40-50 times since the re barrel with zero issues whether I was very gingerly working the bolt after firing all the way up to cycling as hard and as fast as I could. Don't want my daughter to have any problems.

Last edited by pre6422hornet; 01/09/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. You have a very fair and good smith. My gunsmith does awesome work, but still charges me $160.00 just for a barrel install. Believe it or not, he's cheaper than most around here.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

If you use a right hand barrel on a left hand receiver, wouldn't the lettering be upside down anyway? The cut-out for the extractor would designate how the barrel is indexed....

I posted the question last year on the Gunsmithing forum when I was contemplating buying a .264 EW barrel off ebay. By the time I decided to go ahead, the barrel was gone. Don't remember the price now, but much less than a new turned blank.

Originally Posted By tmitch
Would it be feasible to fit a take off Winchester M70 barrel with the new 1.062"-28 thread to an M70 Classic left hand action with the 1"-16 thread? The minor diameter of the 1.062"-28 barrel shank is large enough to turn to 1.000" and re-thread. But since the extractor cut is on the opposite side (I would like the barrel markings indexed up) would the barrel have to be set back to remove it or leave it and just cut another? The reason is I have a couple left hand M70 .300 Win mags and would like to turn one into a .264 Win mag. I found an Extreme Weather .264 take off barrel and thought it would be nice to have a Win 70 marked barrel on my Winchester action. Is it worth the trouble?

Reply by Redneck
"Can" it be done? Sure. Is it worth it? That's a question only you can answer..

An extra extractor groove isn't going to hurt anything. The process, though, of remachining the barrel to fit the NH action, plus most likely having to adjust headspace since the lettering needs to be indexed is going to run about the same cost as a new barrel install..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

If you use a right hand barrel on a left hand receiver, wouldn't the lettering be upside down anyway? The cut-out for the extractor would designate how the barrel is indexed....

I posted the question last year on the Gunsmithing forum when I was contemplating buying a .264 EW barrel off ebay. By the time I decided to go ahead, the barrel was gone. Don't remember the price now, but much less than a new turned blank.

Originally Posted By tmitch
Would it be feasible to fit a take off Winchester M70 barrel with the new 1.062"-28 thread to an M70 Classic left hand action with the 1"-16 thread? The minor diameter of the 1.062"-28 barrel shank is large enough to turn to 1.000" and re-thread. But since the extractor cut is on the opposite side (I would like the barrel markings indexed up) would the barrel have to be set back to remove it or leave it and just cut another? The reason is I have a couple left hand M70 .300 Win mags and would like to turn one into a .264 Win mag. I found an Extreme Weather .264 take off barrel and thought it would be nice to have a Win 70 marked barrel on my Winchester action. Is it worth the trouble?

Reply by Redneck
"Can" it be done? Sure. Is it worth it? That's a question only you can answer..

An extra extractor groove isn't going to hurt anything. The process, though, of remachining the barrel to fit the NH action, plus most likely having to adjust headspace since the lettering needs to be indexed is going to run about the same cost as a new barrel install..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69

I think I'd trust redneck on this one... He makes some good points. Somehow I have a feeling good ol pre64hornet has an extra good thing going with his smith.... wink

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was thinkin' that too!

Charter Member

szihn

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Also a thing to think about is that unless it's a brand new take off barrel, why did the original owner take if off in the first place? Just a thought. I did a similar thing with a Douglas barrel originally on a Remington 700, which by the way has the same thread count as a pre64 model 70, and you can have a smith turn the threads down to the correct diameter, cut the extractor slot and then pick up the threads again and bang you got a model 70 barrel. I know because two smiths helped me do it on one of my gun projects.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 160user, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,951 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,657
Posts18,533,963
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.