Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
trb696 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi all, been learning alot and loving it here. Found this for sale today. No clue on mfg/model. It's in .25-06 with a synth stock. He wants $300 for it.
The only info is stamped on left side of barrel just fwd of reciever and read "-.25-06-REM-RW"
Then on left side of receiver just aft of barrel stamping reads "GR_9xxx"
No othermarkings seen.
Bolt looks in rough shape but rest of it (barrel, rifling) is OK for being an actual used hunter, not a gunsafe mushroom. Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited by trb696; 01/09/16.

"The Individuals Rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the State, nothing is so dangerous to a Society."
Underestimated by everyone...
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
A photo would be very helpful.

trb696 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I know I'll frustrate you guys ,but I'm having heck trying to figure out how to post pics ugh...sorry...

Last edited by trb696; 01/09/16.

"The Individuals Rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the State, nothing is so dangerous to a Society."
trb696 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

trb696 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I think these links will work

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Post the "IMG"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm not an expert by far but it's an old Mauser 98 Military rifle re worked into a sporter rifle. I have no.clue as to.the exact M98 action was used.

trb696 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks! Gets me a little closer. And do you have a big w.a.g. or guestimate on what going rates are for them?

trb696 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
The barrel contour was chunky compaired to a rem 700 sporter fer sher. And rougher, not a high smooth sheen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$300 on up depending on the actual components (trigger, barrel, stock, etc.) and the quality of the workmanship. Not long ago, I saw a Kimber Sporter .280, VZ24 action, with a fluted stainless barrel in a cheap plastic stock, with the military trigger, and a cheap scope sell for $400 in a VA gun shop. I considered it, but found a nice Sako High Power built on an FN, with a Sako trigger, barrel, and walnut stock for $200 more.

I might go $300 for it if there aren't any obvious issues, just as a beater or donor.

Last edited by Pappy348; 01/10/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

trb696 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Cool beans, the trigger was nice. No creep, crisp @ 4-5lbs. The bolt has crappy finish. Someone tried sanding out rust pitting so it has patches n swirls. Ugh geeze.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Welcome to the 'fire! Looks like you've found something pretty cool.

I know a guy who'll jewel the bolt body/extractor for <$70 shipped. He does a beautiful job and it's likely cover the blemishes you reference.

I'd strongly consider that rifle depending upon components & condition. IMHO ya can't go wrong on a sporterized LR98 for $300.

Some questions I'd ask:

What brand is the trigger? (Timney, Parker Hale, Jaegar, and Sako have all made excellent triggers just to name a few... This is big, as a trigger can really make or break a rifle)

What brand is the barrel? (I built my first custom in ignorance and used a cheap Adams & Bennett but it shoots REALLY well because it was installed properly. If it's unknown get measurements from along the shank and compare to a taper sheet)

What brand is the stock? (Cheapo Tupperware stocks like those sold thru MidwayUSA as Fajen SUCK because they're so flimsy but there are some that are ok and others that are good)

I like old Mausers and you can find real deals out there. Good luck.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Here is an example of the work referenced above; gold tint is due to lighting:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

trb696 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Now THAT bolt is PURDEEE! WOW I dont know the intimates on the big parts as I hadn't taken it down to inspect past the stampings in the pics. The guy who has it is one who likes to turn a quick dollar and isn't into the "N'th" degree like most of us here. I'll have to see if he'll let me bring to the bench for an in depth autopsy lol. But price guestimates are helpfull ;-) Btw LOVE the Fire and the nice attitudes here. Awsome bunch of people! I am impressed and will be learning every day. Beware the man who says he knows everything about anything...

trb696 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I offered 250 expecting a little negotiating or "ok with a trade". Nope, lol, said he'll just keep it. Had to try ;-)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

423 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 48 invisible), 16,895 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,875
Posts18,538,030
Members74,050
Most Online20,796

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.