-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you have an angled scope? There's a kid that guides for me that is about 5'5" and he has this setup. He has a straight spotter though.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
both mine are straight, and would be fine in my truck. I'd wager he ain't guiding from a Corrola, tho....

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Get a monopod, get out of your truck and track what you want to see. Window mounts suck, I know as I own one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Joe_Kidd
Get a monopod, get out of your truck and track what you want to see. Window mounts suck, I know as I own one.

lol

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have one of these and it's pretty flimsy.

mount

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it I tried a pan and tilt model and hated it!

I found for to work properly/effectively, the vehicle has to be parked up so it was near level...I then switched a decent ball mount and found it much easier to use..

Re ball heads, If you have a large or heavy spotter, don't get a too smaller a ball head and get one of reasonable quality as otherwise they tend to slip over time..

I don't recall the brand I bought now, but it was around $50 of Amazon and it seems to work ok for me..

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just got the pan head. haven't used it yet though.

the ball head I've been using is the Manfrotto 486RC2. pretty big, but it has slots down the side so the spotter can be dropped very low, almost touching the glass. that part works well, but panning across a herd of elk or field with grazing deer, ect. is frustrating. I may get another window clamp and carry both pan head and ball head for a while.

my spotter has angled eyepiece and I like that, but spotting out of the truck may be easier with the straight spotter.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsonora
This is the only way to go.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000K...Pl=1&dpID=41bqA4sxt7L&ref=plSrch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000J...Pl=1&dpID=41aHU3OvjAL&ref=plSrch

I've used em all and this is the only setup worth a damn. When you lock it down it doesn't move. Everybody that has used mine bought one

Thanks!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you might can save a couple bucks, if you check ebay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111861852797

I'll replace my 700RC2 with this'un. Need the 700?.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by toad
panning across a herd of elk or field with grazing deer, ect. is frustrating. I may get another window clamp and carry both pan head and ball head for a while.

Ball heads can be frustrating as the tension has to set be absolutely correct, but that tension seems to alter has you pan ect.. This is particularly true of the cheaper plastic versions.

Not used one, but I suspect a trigger ball head might be the way to go?

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Mine is an older Bushnell. I used it in the Trans- Pecos country of west Texas where vegetation was sparse and the ranches ran in the 30 to 300 section size. We cruised the ranch two tracks, stopped often to use binocular, then used the spotter for interesting looks at antlers. No use hiking two plus miles for a juvenile.

My mount allowed the window to go nearly all the way up. That helped with both dust and cold. It was a pain on hand crank windows, but when I became well off enough to buy power windows, it was easy to use. Not sure how well the one touch up/down feature I now have would fare. It can be stopped, but perhaps not as easy to do as the previous type.

I also have a tripod. On hilltops where one can see miles in every direction, it was sometimes used.

As much "fun" as I have using a straight spotter, I can only imagine what an angled eyepiece would do to me.,

I think it may have been JB who wrote it years ago and I only pass it on. Unless you have mega bucks to spend, search for a spotter with a fixed eyepiece. It is much cheaper to make a good fixed than it is to make a good variable eyepiece. They are getting harder to find.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

I've used em all and this is the only setup worth a damn. When you lock it down it doesn't move. Everybody that has used mine bought one

thanks for that tidbit. just ordered one...

I hope you ordered each piece. It's the most rock solid setup out there. You don't have to guess where the scope is going to settle and I digiscope off mine quite a bit and there's no movement. Lock it down and you're done and I'm using a Meopta S2 spotter which isn't light

well, it works great!

[Linked Image]

and I found that I can twist the eye cup on the spotter all the way out and press the cell phone camera directly against it and get passable pix.

first attempt:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and an attempt to get the elk and antelope in the same frame (antelope in lower left)...

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I took this advice^^^^^^^^^^^ back in January.

I got the 128RC on eBay for $58 Delivered and the No. 243 window mount on Amazon.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
you got a hell of a bargain on the pan head.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

thanks for that tidbit. just ordered one...

I hope you ordered each piece. It's the most rock solid setup out there. You don't have to guess where the scope is going to settle and I digiscope off mine quite a bit and there's no movement. Lock it down and you're done and I'm using a Meopta S2 spotter which isn't light

well, it works great!

[Linked Image]

and I found that I can twist the eye cup on the spotter all the way out and press the cell phone camera directly against it and get passable pix.

first attempt:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and an attempt to get the elk and antelope in the same frame (antelope in lower left)...

[Linked Image]

PERFECT! Now you just need a phone skope or if you want to really crazy with a digiscope setup let me know and I'll post up how I have my Olympus TG-4 set up

Last edited by huntsonora; 04/11/16.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have an old Redfield window mount that weighs about 3lbs. Solid as a rock.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,364
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.