Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I'll post a link below of a review I read lately that I really liked. The guy who wrote the review is very well known and respected in the shooting industry. I picked one of these up and played with it this afternoon and I'm really impressed. I was trickling some reloader 25 and I'm telling you this scale knows every granule that hits the pan. Most weighed .02 -.03 grain the scale always returned to a zero.
I don't think there's another scale near it in the price range.
http://benchrest.com/showthread.php...for-measure-technique-refresher-practice

Last edited by kraky111; 01/12/16.
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Fwiw.... I used my new digital scale today to double check my technique on my RCBS 10 10 scale. I calibrated it the way I usually do and then set it to throw 50 grains of Varget. It wasn't a huge deal but right away I found out my calibration is actually producing 50.1 approx grains. I'll have to adjust for that.
I threw 10 charges and trickled up the way I normally do and I found that my charges varied from 51.10 to 51.18 grains. I had about four or five that were at 51.15.
The bottom line is my 10 10 scale and the way I do things is good for a plus or minus .04 grains of powder which is probably 2 granules one way or another.
When I was done I asked quick load what the difference in speed would be with a 30 odd 6 between 51.10 grains and 51.18 grains and it came down to a whole whopping 4 fps. It would probably be slightly more as you went to smaller cartridges and slightly less if you want to bigger ones.
Obviously individual variation in case capacity, primers, neck tension, annealing and acts of God have more to do with your extreme spreads than my scale.
It would certainly seem it's probably not worth it for me to do all my reloading shell for shell on the new digital scale but it's kind of fun to have it just so I can check myself from time to time. And someday I'll have to break out my Hornady auto dispenser and just see what that thing does. I'm still glad I bought it for under $100 it's a pretty quality piece of equipment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting..to date I haven't seen one under a $ 100 worth a chit. I'm on my third one now a GemPro 250 after having an RCBS and Lyman POS. The GemPro is light years ahead for accuracy IMO.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/reloading/reloading-powder-scale-ds-750.php

I've had good luck with the mtm. Think I paid like $40 for it new. It replaced a Lyman digital that was a total POS.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Just because a scale reads to .01 grains doesn't mean it's accurate. It could be off by +/- 1/2 grain but still read to .01gr.

Coming from Grizzly doesn't give me any more confidence in it. Most of what they sell is rebadged Chinese stuff, and quality control is questionable. I use their stuff, but don't expect it to be labratory grade, as the OP seems to be claiming for this scale.

If I'm going to spend $100 on another digital scale, I'll just spend another $30 and get another Dillon that I know is good.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I'm quite sure it's made in China.
I never said it was laboratory grade but it reads test wts perfectly. And Dillon gets Who to make their scales?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I bought a Hornady electronic scale with the primary purpose of weighing cases. My shooting partner has an RCBS that he has to recalibrate each time he starts it up. I found I do not have to recalibrate mine and it always returns to zero.

I have checked and double checked against my balance scale and they always read the same. Since it is so accurate, I have begun to use it to set up my powder measure. It sure does make it easy. Then I check against my beam scale.

I would buy another in a heartbeat.

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I just tested out my Hornady auto dispenser and was pleasantly surprised. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be accurate to plus or minus .1 grains. I ran a bunch of charges @ 70 grains and at 50 grains. It pretty much was .075 grains over or under those exact settings with most charges being very very close. For fun I put the 70 grain charge on quick load pretending to load a 300 win mag and found out that would result in a plus or minus 4 feet per second based on what I was doing.
And yes I realize there is a little plus or minus going on with the digital scale but over all my confidence in the Hornady auto dispenser is back!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

426 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 257wthbylover, 58 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.