Print Thread
Hop To
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
When I shoulder a rifle in a comfortable manner with a secure grip, my right index finger will contact the trigger some where in the middle of my index finger not the finger tip. My finger tip actually sticks out to the left of the trigger. To have my finger tip contact the trigger, I have to loosen and shift the grip of my right hand. I have tried several stock configurations including palm swells, closed grips and open grips with pretty much the same result. I shoot with the middle of my right index finger.

Sorry for the poor pic but it illustrates my finger position on a RAR.

[Linked Image]

1. Is this a "problem"?
2. If I wanted or need to fix my finger position what type of stock would be better suited to my grip or what modification to the action inlet would need to be made?

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If this were me, I would set down at a solid bench. I would have the gun on target, wanting it to stay on target without my grasp. Then I would get into the gun gently and see what happens to the cross hairs when you dry fire. To keep the cross hairs from moving, one must pull the trigger straight back. This will give you a visual of what is happening.

I do this in testing new loads so I can get a good picture of how I am gripping the gun and pulling the trigger. When I get no movement from dry firing, I am ready to test my loads.

Hope this helps.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Just chop off your index finger at the last joint; then you're good to go.

Seriously, it doesn't matter where the finger contacts the trigger as long as the pressure is applied straight back. For most folks without giant hands smile pulling the trigger with the middle of the finger would result in applying pressure to the left, pulling shots to the left.

It's usually more of a problem with handguns.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds like the first suggestion is to do some testing to see if it is really a problem. Makes sense, I'm 46 so this isn't anything new.

For the sake of discussion, if this turns out to be a problem or I just because I want to...what would I need to change on a stock?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get a savage varmint rifle. Do not know the model, but I have a heavy barreled, laminated stock 22-250. A [bleep] couldn't wrap a hand around that 4x4 piece of chitt.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
This must define a 1st world problem. Even w/ my old arthritic joints and stubby thumbs I find it possible to shoot a variety of non-custom firearms w/ a generous application of dryfire.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hey guys give your guns to Mikey, he can shot anything...

Didn't know I posted my question in the subsistence hunting forum, Settler Mike!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
SWJ, unless you are shooting a high recoil rifle, it is certainly not necessary to do a full grip on the rifle. thus you can use the center of the finger as is commonly recommended. Simply test a few different grips/holds to find out what works.

S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks, Fred.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by SWJ
Hey guys give your guns to Mikey, he can shot anything...

Didn't know I posted my question in the subsistence hunting forum, Settler Mike!

Says the guy seeking shooting instruction on the internet.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,241 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,259
Posts18,486,403
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.