Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
No rodeo I was using 100 gn Remington Core Lokts.
I also used 100 gn winchester power points when I hunted with it. I realize many of you are using premium bullets instead of cup and core that I was using at the time.
The year before the 5 shot story I shot a mature 8 point that came by me nose to the ground after a doe. I shot him right behind the shoulder then again in the ribs as he was taking off. the third shot I swung through and fired when I pulled in front of him and hit him right at the hinge of the jaw. He had a really lousy blood trail to follow but I found him 3 to 400 yards away. His lungs were busted up and heart had a chunk out of it. Both of these deer were within 75 yards of me . It's ok if you don't believe me but you asked for experiences and I gave mine. I'll also admit that A big buck charged up with adrenaline chasing a doe might run the same distance with 30 caliber holes in him. The difference is in my experience with the bigger bullets they leave more sign to follow and the results are better. I used to deer hunt with a 243 and probably killed 30 to 40 deer with mine. I went to a bigger gun and won't be going back.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
If I didn't mention this already,the .243 is now my "big" gun.....

Gee Inqwe....

For your size and height, if you consider a 243 to be your "Big Gun".....

Then for Schtick, in proportion, his "BIG GUN" would be a 17 Hornet....

just thinking out loud is all.... whistle

I'm sure he'll be along showing us all pics of the number of brown bears he's taken with a 17 Hornet... with his hat on their head, and his rifle laying in the stream, beside his fishing pole and a salmon with a bullet hole in it... In HD... whistle

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by southtexas
Works great if you use a bullet designed for the job at hand.

not following this advice is probably the one big reason, for a 243 having a bad rep by some....

and most of those that give it a bad rap, have probably never used one to have it fail or succeed... they are just passing on someone else's 2 cents who probably heard it elsewhere also...and never shot one while hunting...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I also used 100 gn winchester power points when I hunted with it. I realize many of you are using premium bullets instead of cup and core that I was using at the time.
The year before the 5 shot story I shot a mature 8 point that came by me nose to the ground after a doe. I shot him right behind the shoulder then again in the ribs as he was taking off. the third shot I swung through and fired when I pulled in front of him and hit him right at the hinge of the jaw. He had a really lousy blood trail to follow but I found him 3 to 400 yards away. His lungs were busted up and heart had a chunk out of it. Both of these deer were within 75 yards of me . It's ok if you don't believe me but you asked for experiences and I gave mine. I'll also admit that A big buck charged up with adrenaline chasing a doe might run the same distance with 30 caliber holes in him. The difference is in my experience with the bigger bullets they leave more sign to follow and the results are better. I used to deer hunt with a 243 and probably killed 30 to 40 deer with mine. I went to a bigger gun and won't be going back.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Though we use the 243 a lot and have gravitated toward the 223 more recently, I do agree that for big bucks hopped-up on adrenaline running scared on public ground, I trust the 30-06 to leave a path of destruction that can be followed when necessary. As such, I don't see the 22/24 calibers as do-anything-anywhere-anytime deer rifles. But by choice, I very rarely hunt that way.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
It is totally unpredictable how far a deer will go after you bust it's lungs. I have a 172 lb. {dressed} 8 point on the wall that fell IMMEDIATELY to a 50 gr. soft point out of a .222 through the lungs. He had been hot on the heels of a doe right up until I let the air out of him from 125 yards. Conversely, The farthest I've ever had one go took a 12 gauge slug broadside through the lungs from 30 yards and then proceeded to run 250 yards across a field and jump the fence on the other side before it fell. That one was just a 130 lb. doe. The vast majority of the deer I've killed have gone down within 75 yards regardless of what I've shot them with and I've seen no discernible difference there in anything from .222 to .30-06 and 12 gauge slugs. I do hear you on the bigger hole, better blood trail though and generally agree.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The real question nowadays is: what does the 243 do better than a tight-twisted 223

The answer is simply, plenty. If there wasn't more lethality in a larger bullet going faster, guides in Alaska and PH in Africa wouldn't have minimum caliber restrictions...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The real question nowadays is: what does the 243 do better than a tight-twisted 223

The answer is simply, plenty. If there wasn't more lethality in a larger bullet going faster, guides in Alaska and PH in Africa wouldn't have minimum caliber restrictions...

For deer hunting, with what I've seen, I cannot tell the difference between the wound channel of the 223 and 243. Other than as Ingwe noted, how far away one round holds its velocity makes a difference.

I do not think that there is enough difference between 22 and 24 calibers to know the difference other than velocity.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

255 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 257 roberts, 300jimmy, 27 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,539
Posts18,531,120
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.