Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 120 1 2 3 4 5 6 119 120
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thats the truth! Chasing with plenty of mag box room to play with.

HR IC

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Dakota - That may be from me attempting to close the bolt, extracting, and repeating the process. I can remark the bullet and try again.

Well, a short throat it is then. With the bullets that a 10 twist can digest, I don't think it is going to matter much so long as you don't mind not using factory ammo.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Those are my thoughts as well. However, its going to come down to how much deeper I have to seat bullets to get a fit and a kiss. As mentioned previously in this thread, I've got 3 or 4 bullets I'm most interested in shooting:

-80/85 Barnes
-87 VMax
-90 Lapua
-95 B-Tip

All will run in a 10 twist. BUT..how deep will I have to go, and will they impeded on a near-max powder charge in the fire formed cases? I'd like to reap the extra velocity from the AI case without over compressing the load and spiking pressures.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
2.710 is SAAMI maximum for the 243 Winchester. Trim length, case length and OAL is the same for the Winchester and the AI version. Here is an article with cartridge drawings of both. http://www.6mmbr.com/243win.html

Barnes lists the 80 TTSX OAL data as 2.610. Hodgdon lists the 80 GMX load data at 2.610, and the 85 TSX at 2.620. Even the 100 grain BTSP they show at 2.650.

I do know in some of my stuff, the Vmax bullets have a different ogive that results in needing to seat deeper than other bullets of the same weight, and I think that 87 was one of them. I don't think you will have a problem with the 80 TTSX at a good length. On mine, if I remember correctly, the neck of the case is between the first and second groove from the front on the 80 TTSX. The Barnes factory loads are crimped right into the first groove.

I just looked on a few sites, and many guys are loading the 87 VMAX at 2.650-2.665, so that throat might not be that short after all. The factory load is another story. Not sure on that one.

Last edited by KenMi; 01/20/16.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
The factory load is another story. Not sure on that one

Yes, this was the biggest bummer to me, and worth a call to Cooper. While I hand load for almost all my guns, it would be a nice option to have.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hard to believe that rifle sat there since 2013 with no takers. If the throat was cut too short and needs fixing, I wouldn't be shy about asking the dealer if anyone took it home and returned it before you. Not hard to envision someone getting it home, trying to load a factory round, being unable to, and returning it. Maybe he should knock some more off the price.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I would say call and talk to Kevin at Cooper. He is the one that shot it, but obviously won't remember that particular gun. But, I bet he would give some insight on the factory load issue, as well as give you the OAL they use in their test loads for that cartridge.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Smoke: If you got the deal I got, you wouldn't call the dealer back:) I could have the gun re-barrled two or three times and still come out on top.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
KenMi: Just called Cooper. They want me to make a dummy round and see how much deeper I have to go before it chambers. And in his (Andrew @ Cooper) words:

"I'm 99.99% sure that we can take the rifle back and lengthen the throat on our dime"

Good people right there.

Now lets see how much deeper I have to seat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
As a handloader I'd be happy with the short throat unless the bullets require seating so deep their ogives go below the case mouth.

+1. Don't let them lengthen it so much that some of the bullets you wish to shoot can't fit the mag nor touch the lands.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Originally Posted by mathman
As a handloader I'd be happy with the short throat unless the bullets require seating so deep their ogives go below the case mouth.

+1. Don't let them lengthen it so much that some of the bullets you wish to shoot can't fit the mag nor touch the lands.

That, and first figure out your top priority bullets (you already have). Make dummy rounds with those, figure length to lands, then see how it is. With it being the AI version, there would be no confusing it for ammo for another gun anyhow. The Barnes bullets usually like a decent jump, but with the way they are designed, I know you will get that, if they have to be seated to factory length. If the 243 Win. factory loads aren't really a priority, I'd not even worry about it, but keep it in mind for future reference. I simple bump with the seater die would make them usable for fireforming at least.

Last edited by KenMi; 01/20/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jeezus fhuqking Christ,you STUPID fhuqkers are amazing!!! Fhuqking WOW +P++!

Trip the POS,score sumptin' with a 9" or better and connect your first dot and attain your first fhuqking clue. Fhuqking HINT.

'Mi,you are a COLOSSAL dumbfhuqk. Congratulations?!? Holy fhuqking schit,say some more about "pressure",COAL and your "experience". Laughing!

Stupid fhuqkers were/are stumped by a fhuqking throat? Enjoyed the sage "advice",with dies and the rest.

I'm cryin' I'm laughing sooooooooooooo fhuqking hard. The last thing of interest to me,is a good "deal" on a piece of fhuqking schit.

Bless your heart.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That was helpful.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Ah Stick, you crack me up.

Chill with the twist talk bro. I don't want to shoot 105s. I have no need for 105s. I don't desire a 9 twist. But thats cool, say whatever makes you feel good. I won't block you because I don't care, and you say enough wise stuff to balance out the looney tunes.

But seriously, you crack me up by praising 6mm bullets that excel in a 10 twist, but hammer dudes who shoot a 10 twist. Good comedy right there.

Stick: "87' VMax and 90Skinners are UBER!"

Followed by...

Stick: "10 twist? Get a Fhuqking clue!"

smile

Hang around until Monday when I can come back to this thread with the seating depths that work. Then you can add to the discussion on whether I should proceed with my short throat, or let Cooper lengthen it to chamber factory ammo.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Remember back just a short time ago when if you were not rock a bob or a bob ai then you were fn stupid. Now it's an 8 spun 243. For the record this is the same dip chit that shimmed a montucky too get enough mils to shoot to the 2000 yard line all with a SS 6x.

Sugar Tits, a Cooper is more class than a fat little turd!!!!! like you dare pack. Keep throwing 105 at 2000k and leave your aluminum hat by the keyboard.

Next week a 6.5x47 in a 700 leaving it in the Hs for its perfect. Duplicating the VS countour with an 8.4spun Obermeyer and a little polish on the lugs a little square on the face and bush F pin. Topped with a 10x Ss and that's a one holer.
Ever time I flush a toilet I expect to read you drown no luck as of yet. <~ now that's imagine and pretend. And a little about a gun.

Hugs and kisses tittys LMMFAO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2000K with a 6xSS? on a Montucky? in 243? ohhhhhhhhhhkayyyyyyyy...

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Even better it's a 6x45 slinging 105 at 2590. Sugar tits has a little problem with cough medicine. POA/POI..

Note the lazy eye and a guy that had the nerve to call others fat. Ironic no?
[Linked Image]

If hacking your carrot counted as R-n-D, Sugar tits would be a NASA consultant.

Last edited by fredIII; 01/20/16.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Hang around until Monday when I can come back to this thread with the seating depths that work. Then you can add to the discussion on whether I should proceed with my short throat, or let Cooper lengthen it to chamber factory ammo. [/quote]

Just shoot the hell out of that Cooper and that throat will grow to where you want it. Sugar tits is right about spent primer

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's all about the break-in. Hopefully he's got a bull barrel not a cow barrel. Rehint

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now guys, stop picking on my little buddy Big Stick. He is only trying to help in his own little way. It is obvious that back when he talked/typed like a normal human being, people just weren't learning the proper way to do things, according to him. He experienced a transformation about five years back to where he conveys information in the way he does now.

He went from this: "I've read certain things and tested them thoroughly and have learned that if you do "x" and "y" you will experience better results. Try it and it may help"

To this: "when me 'n ma pards was young'uns my pa said we din't need no book learnun and if we just talked big s.hit and acted like huckleberries we could git er done better 'n all a you f.uckers. Hint, laffin' +P".

Last edited by TheBigSky; 01/21/16. Reason: I corrected a spelling error. Big Stick English is hard.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 4 of 120 1 2 3 4 5 6 119 120

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1Longbow, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,114
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.