Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
With the Lee Collet Neck Sizer, neck turning is less critical, IMO. There is no expander to pull a slightly asymmetrical neck crooked, the mandrel keeps is aligned.

Concentric ammo isn't that hard to achieve with this die, in fact this is about the slickest way to produce very good ammo with min. case prep.

But, I'm not a bench rest shooter...

DF

Earlier this afternoon I assembled a batch of 308 Winchester cartridges in once fired Federal American Eagle 7.62x51 milspec cases. I have not turned, sorted, or even measured the neck walls for uniformity. They may be great, but I don't know.

The cases were neck sized via Lee collet, and the bullets were seated using a Redding competition seater. Three pieces showed .002" runout on the seated bullet, the other seventeen showed .001" or less. Most being less.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Since I started using the Lee collet neck sizer for my 7-08's, my runout numbers mirror yours mathman. I was a FL sizer for years upon years, but didn't know what I didn't know.

I am much like Mr. Dirtfarmer....I think cleaning primer pockets, flash holes, and brass is a waste of time.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a Wilson seater, cut by the same reamer that chambered my 6.5-284 Krieger. Using the Arbor press is slower, but those rounds are very concentric. I did turn those necks.

I have other rifles that are about as accurate without all that fuss. The Lee Collet neck sizer is a "cheap trick" for producing good, concentric ammo... grin

Why make it hard... cool

Easy is mo betta... whistle

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Do you chamfer the case mouth?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Lee collet dies and redding body dies are like ice cream and apple pie!
Also the less neck tension you have before seating like with the standard mandrel at .002 the less run out you are likely to have.
I do like about 003 undersized and have bought several undersized mandrels from Lee which are totally interchangeable between calibers and I've also sanded mandrels.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You can cut your own mandrel with emery cloth and a drill.

Easier to take it off than put it back on. shocked

But they not that expensive.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have other rifles that are about as accurate without all that fuss. The Lee Collet neck sizer is a "cheap trick" for producing good, concentric ammo... grin

Why make it hard... cool

Easy is mo betta... whistle

DF

Will we see this part of Lee Precision's marketing paraphernalia in the future? grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tag

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
"Cheap and easy, why make it hard"...

You think Lee would buy that line? laugh

They're pretty good at marketing, already.

And, somehow they've managed to keep prices low.

Some of their stuff is marginal, some really good. The collet neck sizer and factory crimp die are their best offerings, IMO.

DF

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Some of their stuff is marginal, some really good. The collet neck sizer and factory crimp die are their best offerings, IMO.

DF

Agree. And I would put their 6 cavity molds right below them in the "bang for the buck" category.

Lee has done another run of the collet crimp revolver dies and I had to pick a couple of them up off Midway.

Love their collet stuff.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I think if they'd offer a kit with maybe a little higher quality collet die, a couple of mandrels for flexibility, and their own version of a body die they would be selling like crazy. But as it is right now they're probably running pretty much 24/7 making what they've always made. When I called in to get custom sized mandrels they were actually kind of rude to me, it really kind of made me mad, but I guess they'really so busy what's one less guy wanting a couple mandrels.

Last edited by kraky111; 01/16/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I called Lee to ask about ordering a .223 body die, for bumping shoulders, and the customer service lady couldn't understand what I wanted.
She transferred me to one of the technical guys who understood what I wanted and proceeded to tell me the astronomically high set up fee (around $150 IIRC) to make me one.
I asked why they couldn't just ream out the neck of an existing full length die. He said they couldn't because it's hardened steel.
So, being the DIY type, I simply ordered a standard F/L die and drilled out the neck. Works great and much cheaper than a Redding body die.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I load a lot of 3006 and kind of did something in Reverse.
I bought one of the RGB dies and ground down the expander ball so it will decap but It wont pull the neck off center when you pull the expander through it. I use it on dirty brass and then put that brass in my sonic cleaner. Later I put graphite in the neck and reverse plunge the neck with a different die and get 0 run out and the neck is seasoned and ready for bullet seating.
This works for me and speeds up the whole process and I get 0 run out before reloading.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I called Lee to ask about ordering a .223 body die, for bumping shoulders, and the customer service lady couldn't understand what I wanted.
She transferred me to one of the technical guys who understood what I wanted and proceeded to tell me the astronomically high set up fee (around $150 IIRC) to make me one.
I asked why they couldn't just ream out the neck of an existing full length die. He said they couldn't because it's hardened steel.
So, being the DIY type, I simply ordered a standard F/L die and drilled out the neck. Works great and much cheaper than a Redding body die.

Sometimes substitutions are possible with items you already have. For example, an RCBS FL sizer for 7mm08 works fine as a 243 Win body die.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Yep.

It's hard steel alright, but not harder than a grinding stone... smile

Here's how I turned a less than stellar Lee .22-250 FL sizing die into a body die to use with the Collet Neck sizer.

DF

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I had a 204 Lee neck sizer and needed one for a 20 TAC. Since I quit shooting the 204, I cut a little over 1/8" off the bottom of the die. Worked great except for the mandrel was too thick and bullets would seat without pressure, which means they came right out.

I ordered a .002 under from Lee and it worked fine. One little trick, is to lightly coat the outside neck of the case with white grease. Run the case into the die and when you pull it out, there will be little vertical ridges of grease on the neck. That is from the space between the collets. Lets you see how low the sizing is on the neck.

Last edited by FredWillis; 01/21/16.
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just set up the 7mm-08. .30-06 is next.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The instruction say to screw in until it contacts the shell holder THEN 1 FULL ADDITIONAL TURN. This is garbage. You do this and you can collapse shoulders as a number of folks here have attested to. 2/3 to 3/4 of a turn will be your sweet spot.

I never set up my Lee collet dies to cam over. In fact I adjust them to where the handle of the press is near horizontal. Then I put what I think is 20-25 lbs of pressure, raise the handle, turn the case a little and do it again. Works for me, and has for a long time. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another thing to be aware of is neck thickness. Case brands vary in this regard and can vary within the same manufacturer by different lots.

This is the reason that I do not set mine to cam over. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Recap:

Originally Posted by mathman
The first thing I recommend is to ignore the instructions supplied with the die.

The second thing I recommend is to ignore whether or not the press you're using cams over at the top of its stroke.

The die squeezes the neck onto a mandrel, so for a given neck thickness there is a finite limit to how much sizing you can achieve. This die will need adjustment to suit different thicknesses of brass.

Raise the press ram to the top of its stroke. Thread the die into the press until the bottom of the sizing collet (not the die body) just touches the shell holder. Measure the neck OD of a piece of brass.

Run the brass through the die using a full press stroke. It should take no effort since if you're set up as described the die has done no sizing. Turn the die into the press about 1/4 turn. Run the brass in again. You probably won't feel much sizing going on, but give the neck a measurement just to see. If it's still nothing, screw the die in another 1/4th and try again. You'll may start feeling a bit going on as you work the press handle, and if so you'll be able to measure a little sizing taking place.

Rinse and repeat using 1/16th turn in increments for the die. You'll feel increases in the force required for the sizing stroke. Since you're measuring the neck after each pass you'll eventually find two increments where the neck didn't get any smaller. NOW STOP TURNING THE DIE INTO THE PRESS. Remember you're squeezing the brass against a solid steel mandrel which isn't going to give, so even if the press stroke didn't feel like it took very much force the neck is as small as it's going to get.

There's a learning curve to the die, but it isn't hard.

I like to run cases through the die twice, spinning the case about 1/3 turn (rather than the 1/2 turn in the instructions) between passes. This means the parts of the neck that were under the splits in the collet fingers on the first pass will get hit on the second.

Originally Posted by mathman
Correctly executing the set up method I outlined above makes camming over or not a moot point, and it will not even come close to popping the cap. Furthermore since the full press stroke is used every time I don't have to "judge my lean" on the handle.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 22 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.