Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
...just how big of a pain is it? I'm really thinking of adding one to an AR build I'm doing, but it seems like getting one could be a pain. Is it a hassle and is it worth it?

Last edited by Huntingnut; 01/21/16.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wouldn't ever get rid of iether of mine. Would like to add more as I can....

Beyond that I see no pain whatsoever.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two. A .22LR can and a .223. I really like the .22LR but think the .223 was a wasted $700.

It really wasn't too much of a hassle to get them. My dealer was very helpful in getting the LEO sign off and walking me through the whole process. A good dealer can make very easy to obtain one. I bought them about 10 years ago though and don't know if anything has changed. Back then it was about an 8-10 week wait to get approved.

IMO, if I had it to do over again I would start with another .22LR (great fun) and then maybe get a .308 can. Are they worth it? For me....NO. I'll take more noise and better balance and handling any day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not at all a pain to get, just a matter of doing it. A lightweight multi-caliber can like the SilencerCo Omega, Griffin Recce 7 or TBAC Ultra 7 are well worth the investment. I find myself shooting suppressed more and more, I love it. A good can will make you want to thread ALL your barrels. I've got my AR's setup for the QD brakes and several bolt guns threaded for the direct thread mounts.

Last edited by wareagle700; 01/21/16.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Even on supersonic rounds it knocks the noise level down quite a bit.

But to think you could put it on any rifle and shoot supersonic through it and be really quiet, thats where most folks think they've been had.

Like the 300/221 craze... I see NO use at ALL for the round unless its suppressed and subsonic wiht the quietest powders....
I don't even like the action noise of the AR15 with it. I'm building one again, just for a specific purpose of trailing wounded deer with our dog, so I have some sort of quiet firearm for me and the dog in case we have to shoot all of a sudden.

I agree that a good can makes you want to thread everything you own.

I sure hope they take the damn regs off suppressors so you can go in anywhere and pick em up. I'd have about everything I own suppressed then including shotguns... I really want a shotgun suppressor if they work.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They definitely work Jeff. The Salvo is just crazy quiet.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Not at all a pain to get, just a matter of doing it. A lightweight multi-caliber can like the SilencerCo Omega, Griffin Recce 7 or TBAC Ultra 7 are well worth the investment. I find myself shooting suppressed more and more, I love it. A good can will make you want to thread ALL your barrels. I've got my AR's setup for the QD brakes and several bolt guns threaded for the direct thread mounts.

Do you have a Omega if so how do you like it? I ordered one about a month ago.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, I love it. Its almost as quiet as my Specwar, which is a very quiet fulll size can. To tell any difference you have to shoot them side by side. The Omega is lightweight and has more mounting options. Accuracy is great with the suppressor on also.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Yes, I love it. Its almost as quiet as my Specwar, which is a very quiet fulll size can. To tell any difference you have to shoot them side by side. The Omega is lightweight and has more mounting options. Accuracy is great with the suppressor on also.

What calibers have you ran it on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
.223 (AR-15's), .243 (Tikka T3), and .308 (AR and several bolt guns)

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Thank you Sir I will be running it on my 6.8,223,6x6.8 and 204 AR's was really hoping it does the job well. A buddy has a thunder beast and it sounds good but I really like the versatility of the Omega.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Are they worth it? For me....NO. I'll take more noise and better balance and handling any day.

I am just the opposite...I have gotten to the point that I have absolutely zero interest in shooting a rifle without a can in any circumstance.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Do you always run the 7.62 end cap or do you change it to the 223.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I keep the 7.62 cap on it. Its still very quiet on .223's and I don't have to worry about forgetting to swap and sending a .308 through that .224 hole. wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most everyone says it is a big hassle until they buy their first one. Go the trust route (its cheap and easy) and use a shop that sells plenty of suppressors. If you are forced to go the online route, contact Dakota Silencer.

R
R
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Most everyone says it is a big hassle until they buy their first one. Go the trust route (its cheap and easy) and use a shop that sells plenty of suppressors. If you are forced to go the online route, contact Dakota Silencer.

This sums it all up. I just did the paperwork on my first two at the first of this month and there really isn't anything to it. Use and experienced shop is excellent advice!

I'm hooked and considering doing a form 1 now for an AR I am building. Good luck

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
They're worth it.

Get a 22LR can if you only want one. Buy lots of subsonics. Nobody doesn't love them.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE

This is the other question I had...trusts are the easiest way to go?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, a trust is the best way to go.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have 2 in jail at my dealer awaiting their stamp. I waited way too long as I always thought it was going to be a hassle. It was really easy going the trust route. Just have to wait now.....I opted for a 30 cal ultra 7 and the Spectre 22 cal. Lots of good choices out there.

Rick
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (12344mag, 270cowboy, 1lesfox, 44mc, 35, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 1,087 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,846
Posts18,517,426
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.