-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
bought 175lbs of boston butts. first 20lbs got ground,seasoned and stuffed into 19mm casings .rest of it seasoned and ground into sausage. sold most of it to my buddies. i then took all the trimmings and bones and boiled them off in a big pot to make ponhoss. this was my first attempt at making it on top on the stove.ended up with 1-1/2 gallons of meat and 3 1/2 gallons of broth. white corn meal,salt & pepper and an hour or so later i had 17lbs of ponhoss. i wondered if i could get it rich enough without all the usual parts from a whole hog but it came out really good. my daughter says its the best she ever ate.i tend to agree. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not much Southern experience here. Is the ponhoss baked or smoked and then chilled? Sliced up like cold polenta and fried?

Looks interesting. Premade sausage and grits.

Sean
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Did someone say grits?

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sausage looks great! I'm not familiar with ponhoss, either. Give us a primer, please.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Not much Southern experience here. Is the ponhoss baked or smoked and then chilled? Sliced up like cold polenta and fried?

Looks interesting. Premade sausage and grits.

ponhoss is made by boiling all the scraps from a hog when butchering. most people add the hearts,tongue,head meat,bones to a kettle and boil it off the bone. then seperate the broth fron the meat. the remove all the bones and run the meat thru a grinder. put the broth in a pot/or kettle and boil it. add the meat to and let it boil. season it with salt and pepper to your liking.i like lots of pepper. then start adding white non-selfrising corn meal to it. as it cooks keep stirring the pot to keep it from burning . it will thicken up to where you can just pour it. i use a big coffee cup to pour it into pans to cool. let it cool over night then slice and fry until brown.

i also freeze it between sheets of wax paper after slicing ,then vacuum seal.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's like head cheese grits

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds about like scrapple. Same dish, regional names?

I've heard of PonHaus/Hoss before, but don't believe I've ever had it.

Looks great!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
some here call it scrapple to.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep. Does sound like scrapple.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
It's like head cheese grits

THat's what I was thinking, I broke out in the hives from head cheese (homemade) when I was young......

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The sausage looks real good as does the Pon Haus. We have always used yellow cornmeal and flour. I think the ratio is 5 lb flour to 10 lb cornmeal. Seems like the flour helps it set up a little better. We only made one 35 gal kettle this year. as we only butchered 9 or 10 pigs this time. We did do about 25 gallon of lard that turned out really well. I have made the Pon Haus on the stove a time or two, but would rather do it outside over an open fire as I am a real sloppy cook, and messes are easier to clean up that way. Also gives you a little smoke flavor. Enjoy it it looks great.
Bill

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bill_55
The sausage looks real good as does the Pon Haus. We have always used yellow cornmeal and flour. I think the ratio is 5 lb flour to 10 lb cornmeal. Seems like the flour helps it set up a little better. We only made one 35 gal kettle this year. as we only butchered 9 or 10 pigs this time. We did do about 25 gallon of lard that turned out really well. I have made the Pon Haus on the stove a time or two, but would rather do it outside over an open fire as I am a real sloppy cook, and messes are easier to clean up that way. Also gives you a little smoke flavor. Enjoy it it looks great.
Bill

never seen any made with flour added to it.we've always used white cornmeal but it getting really hard to find around here.i can remember mom making it on the stove when i was a kid. i'd rather stir the old iron kettle over a hot fire to. i just had all those bones from the boston butts so figured i try it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (5sdad, 10gaugemag, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, 14 invisible), 1,679 guests, and 997 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.