Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 120 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 119 120
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by KenMi
Getting back to the original topic (12 pages ago), I don't really think there is as much of a problem as perceived. One type of factory ammo won't chamber, and the Vmax that are loaded past max OAL won't chamber.

For a non-custom rifle, the chamber should be within SAAMI specs. Being out of spec means it wasn't cut right. If the chamber's not cut right, I'd be wondering what else wasn't done right. Once he starts shooting it, it's his problem to deal with, not the dealer's.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Sugar tits here is today's project a five digit 700 with a new Obermeyer on it how many 700 do you have with five digit serial number.

[Linked Image]

As to the hair it's like the top of your head in that freezer. You funny little fat [bleep].

OP shoot the dang gun throats grow you will be fine just shoot the thing.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
[Linked Image]

Tomorrow I might role out of bed before 11:30 am. Lol.
Oh and welfare check cleared the bank now I can shoot 2000 yards like you lmfao. Ps fruit is. [Linked Image]

EARNED. Show me some more chitty spools of fishing line.

Last edited by fredIII; 01/23/16.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by KenMi
Getting back to the original topic (12 pages ago), I don't really think there is as much of a problem as perceived. One type of factory ammo won't chamber, and the Vmax that are loaded past max OAL won't chamber.

For a non-custom rifle, the chamber should be within SAAMI specs. Being out of spec means it wasn't cut right. If the chamber's not cut right, I'd be wondering what else wasn't done right. Once he starts shooting it, it's his problem to deal with, not the dealer's.

There is not a SAAMI spec for the 243AI cartridge. AI reamers are cut to the buyers spec, not a SAAMI spec.

With the info posted so far I do not see it as a problem other than a snug chamber if he wants to use factory 243 ammo in the rifle, even at that there is at least one brand that does chamber. Cooper has already offered to open up the chamber a bit more if he wants that done. With the group showing on the test target I would shoot it first before sending it back to have the chamber opened.

I have a Rem 700 in 243 that had the same issue with having to seat the bullets even deeper than what is shown in his picture in order to chamber the cartridge. As far as I was concerned it just gave me more ability to chase the lands as the erosion ate them away. The standard 243 eats away the lands very quickly and I imagine that the 243AI will do so even faster. If you have the opportunity to borescope a 243 with 1000 1200 rounds through it that will ruin your day.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
It's not like ordering a semi-custom rifle and having it delivered totally different from the specs shown for it. MRC played that game.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by drover
Cooper has already offered to open up the chamber a bit more if he wants that done.

I hadn't seen that part, that would be my answer. With some of the cartridges they have specs for, it's hard to believe there's none for the 243 AI, but there you have it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by smokepole
Cooper has already offered to open up the chamber a bit more if he wants that done.

I hadn't seen that part, that would be my answer. With some of the cartridges they have specs for, it's hard to believe there's none for the 243 AI, but there you have it.

Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
KenMi: Just called Cooper. They want me to make a dummy round and see how much deeper I have to go before it chambers. And in his (Andrew @ Cooper) words:

"I'm 99.99% sure that we can take the rifle back and lengthen the throat on our dime"

Good people right there.

Now lets see how much deeper I have to seat.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There is not a SAAMI spec for the 243AI cartridge. AI reamers are cut to the buyers spec, not a SAAMI spec.

With the info posted so far I do not see it as a problem other than a snug chamber if he wants to use factory 243 ammo in the rifle, even at that there is at least one brand that does chamber. Cooper has already offered to open up the chamber a bit more if he wants that done. With the group showing on the test target I would shoot it first before sending it back to have the chamber opened.

I have a Rem 700 in 243 that had the same issue with having to seat the bullets even deeper than what is shown in his picture in order to chamber the cartridge. As far as I was concerned it just gave me more ability to chase the lands as the erosion ate them away. The standard 243 eats away the lands very quickly and I imagine that the 243AI will do so even faster. If you have the opportunity to borescope a 243 with 1000 1200 rounds through it that will ruin your day.

drover

I believe the 243AI version helps reduce the erosion, despite burning a bit more powder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=OutdoorAg]I treated myself to a nice 243 Ackley Improved from the fine folks at Cooper, and begin prepping the gun for an initial loading session and range trip.

First: Grabbed 3 handholds that I use for my Tikka 243. These are Virgin Winchester brass, 87r VMax, loaded for the Tikka chamber.

They will not load. Not a single one. I can't get the bolt to close. Every single one sticks and has to be popped out with a cleaning rod down the muzzle. I'm not shocked as they are loaded to the specifics of my Tikka. Whatever, time to try a factory round.

Second: Grabbed 3 factory Winchester Super X. Winchester brass, 100gr soft points.

Obviously new factory rifle that is not compatible with more common factory loads is unacceptable. I would ship it back to Cooper service department at earliest convenience.

[

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Once again I don't see it as a big problem. The OP is a handloader, so if some factory rounds don't fit just shorten them up a bit with a seating die. It's only going to be an issue for a particular bullet if the ogive gets below the case mouth.

With the typical problem being "I can't reach the lands with magazine length cartridges" it seems like this "screw up" is actually a gift.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Gee Stumpy....So the Answer was you had Tourettes before you pissed on that Electric Fence... just doing so, enhanced the Tourettes Syndrome....

Well that makes sense.... ( Schtick Translation... Dat Makes Cents....)

Last time I went outside?

when was the last time I mailed up $5 to contribute to that bail you out of jail fund?.. that would have been it...

who needs to go outside when we can read about ALLL the wonderful stuff you do every day???? complete with pics and authentic Alaskan BackWoods Trailer Park Gibberish?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
And the gun is clearly chambered for 243AI. It is only presumed that it should even be able to chamber 243 Win. in the first place. The companies that make brass for that cartridge won't even do a special order run of brass without first having one fired cartridge. That is how much variation there can be in the AI chambers. I'm sure throats vary as well. It is a handloader chambering, so it is really a moot point. And the gun will probably do the best with lighter bullets, so again, 100 grain loads isn't really what it was designed for.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Characteristics of the narcissitic personality disorder:

Reality distortion and Inability to See and Hear -- The child sees situations through his own sense of woundedness and neediness. . .

Mood Switching --The child's fractured self is caught in mood swings. She may go back and forth between "I'll be good" and pouting or outrage because she isn't getting what she wants. . .

Poor Impulse Control and Frustration Tolerance -- The child is highly reactive to outside stimuli that seem to threaten his sense of self and cannot delay gratification. He wants things NOW! . . .

Poor Ego Boundaries and Need for Control -- The child cannot view things from any other perspective other than his own. He is so caught in his own neediness that he cannot feel empathy for others.

Denial of Uncomfortable Feelings --The child keeps the focus on what he wants not how he feels. His constant demanding keeps him from feeling the pain inside.

Frequent Anger and Rage --The child substitutes anger and tantrums as a way of keeping her uncomfortable feelings from being experienced. She becomes a master of rationalization and justification of her explosive actions . . .

Need for Admiration --The child erroneously believes that he is special and should be given special privileges. . .

Grandiosity and Fantasy --The child spins grandiose fantasies to cover up the internal wounds of his fractured self. He sets up elaborate fantasy schemes of winning, becoming powerful or gaining revenge for injustice. Daydreams of becoming rich and famous without talent or hard work are common.

Idealization and Devaluation of Teachers or Therapists --The child will make you feel that you are wonderful and special as long as you humor her. "As long as you give me what I want, you are the ideal person for me" . . .

Externalization of Blame --The child cannot allow the bad feelings of being at fault for anything. He/she/they/YOU are the problem! He avoids feeling vulnerable by blaming others.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'pole,

You are missing more than a bunch. Hint.

Personally...I don't put ANY store in how a rifle behaves with Ping Pong Ball Factory Fodder. Hint.

The rifle is doomed ala twist rate and it's owner,though in no particular order,if only obviously...................

twatshooter,

Someone VERY wise mentioned at inception,to punt,though for reasons beyond your "abilities" to grasp.

Hint.

Laughing!..................

'MI,

The haste in which you flaunt your Dumbfhuqktitude is HILARIOUS! Congratulations?!?

Someone who "knows" and "does" as "much" as you,is ALWAYS going to be best served by asking questions,as opposed to giving "answers". Hint.

Now 87 'Max have lotsa bearing surface and proud ogives?!?

Holy fhuqking dog schit,will your STUPIDITY ever end?!?

Wow +P++!...................

Fredrica,

You sappy CLUELESS Kchunt! How big of a bet didja' haveta' lose,to suffer that Goat Fhuqked piece of fhuqking schit and try to keep a straight face? Laughing!

POS mounts,POS scope,POS stock and POS contour/length to make SURE it "handles" like schit. Too fhuqking funny! Points awarded for CM too. Google it. Laughing!

Never have seen an early 700 done right. Laughing!

That mould be broken and ONLY you don't know what THE Original Halibut Rifle is. Hint.

Laughing!

[Linked Image]

Now of course any/all with a shred of sense,know that the best and by an order of magnitude akin to your STUPIDITY...700's ever "built" by Remington,were 1st Gen Ti's.

Here...now you can say you've "seen" one of them too,you "lucky" kchunt.

Laughing!

[Linked Image]

On the brightside,as to 700 receivers that Big Green actually made,nothing means less than serial number digits. Pardon my being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess. Hint.

Now were one forced to rock Retrostalgic,I'd be inclined to suffer an M40A1 Return handle with matching numbers and lace it with Marty's ring/rail.

Just sayin'.

[Linked Image]

Though due the inherent nature of that schitty low comb,one could certainly go 20MOA and Maxima's,to do a better job of keepin' a M40A1 Return in line. Pun be intended. Google it.

Now you can say that you've "seen" a few of those too.

Laughing!

[Linked Image]

You "hard chargers" are a fhuqking hoot!

Wow +P++!.................

drover,

Coopers are notoriously sloppy in headspace,which is of course an issue separate from throat geometry and twist rate. They BEG to wear Virgin false shoulders as an opening move and it'd be 308 Lapooey for me,if forced to suffer that piece of fhuqking schit.

The BEST move and by landslide,is to punt and get something good instead.

Hint.................

math',

I hear good thangs about a 243AI twisted/throated right..................(grin)

'vek,

I find it funnier than fhuqk,that she makes a fuss of NOT wanting a 9" or better RPM,but as an opening move procured 100gr Ping Pong Balls.

Jeezus Fhuqk is there nooooooooooo end to the fhuqking AMAZING Stupidity?

Laughing!...............

Shefire,

Like YOU "have" five dollars!?!

Laughing!

No schit you never venture Outdoors,that was a "surprise" only to you.

Congratulations?!?

Laughing!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]
(disclaimer POS 10" and even chittier non-AI)

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
And here I was led to believe the 10 inch twist is what saved the .243 in the first place.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
"Now 87 'Max have lotsa bearing surface and proud ogives?!?"

Uh, yeah, it only takes looking at the picture with the sharpie on it to figure that one out. I wasn't talking about the bearing surface. Or load one yourself and see. I HAVE. Oh wait, but they are a cursed bullet anyway, because they don't tip the scale at a magical 105 grains. Just keep flinging the 105's in bliss and for once don't get concerned what others do with their own guns.

Too haughty to admit someone else could be right, and to arrogant to ever admit fault. Walking on very thin ice, my friend. Usually it takes something big to change someone like that, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but that's what fate usually brings.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very nice.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Big Stick

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sweet rigs. And a damn big fish.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
Page 7 of 120 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 119 120

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

301 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 16penny, 260Remguy, 45 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,689
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.