Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Back in the late 80's I bought a surplus, but almost new, Mark 4 to use as a toss around Rifle instead of beating up any of my other more valuable Rifles. I never used it for hunting and have only fired a couple hundred rounds through it for adjusting the sights and playing a little.

Last week I dug it out and decided to remove the full wood Military furniture and embed it into a synthetic sporter Stock. I got to tell you that from the first time I shouldered it I realized that it was now the most balanced, stable and steady Rifle to shoulder that I now own!

Since they make Hunting rounds for the 303, I would be very interested in what opinions you all would have concerning the mark 4 or the 303 round for hunting?

Edit for correct terminology: I should not have used the term "Embed" since these have a two piece Butt and Forestock configuration. I should have said I had to "Fit" a bolt on Sporter Stock Set. smile

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 01/24/16.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You need to catch up with Steve Redgwell(sp). Great wealth of knowledge in all matters 303 British and the Enfield rifle.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thank you! I will go see what I can dig up on Steve. I looked around on here a bit but without a search feature it is hard to locate anything related.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Look what I found...Thanks!

http://www.303british.com/index.html

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ingwe had the best looking 303 British rifle I've ever seen! and Vongruff makes some awesome martini's in 303!

Last edited by mooshoo; 01/24/16.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mooshoo
Ingwe had the best looking 303 British rifle I've ever seen! and Vongruff makes some awesome martini's in 303!

I found it! thank you!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...9336501/1/303_British_7_62x54R_and_30_40

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hunt with the 303 quite a bit. An 1895 Winchester, and a Lee (I think, as it's been highly butchered) i found in a gun shop a couple of years ago. Both love the 150 Hornady SST and the 174 & 215r Woodleighs.

Here is this year's deer with the Lee and 150r SSTs
[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I hunt with the 303 quite a bit. An 1895 Winchester, and a Lee (I think, as it's been highly butchered) i found in a gun shop a couple of years ago. Both love the 150 Hornady SST and the 174 & 215r Woodleighs.

Wow! The voice of experience! I am privileged that you joined in and shared your experiences with this Rifle and Rounds.

Thank you for the picture of your Rifle and great buck! I think the Barrel length of these Rifles could be a real advantage in accuracy!

Good to see you are still at it!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Here is this year's deer with the Lee and 150r SSTs
[Linked Image]

that is a nice 303!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really liked the results I got on deer with the 180 power points in my Jungle Carbine.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Back in the day when I was less monied than now my only hunting rifle was a .303, it did not group as well as I would have liked but I surely killed a great many deer and elk with it. In reality anything the 308 Win will do the .303 Brit will do.

Have fun with it - it will serve you well.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mooshoo
that is a nice 303!

Yes it is! that is Old School stuff there!

Who needs a 5K Rifle when you are sporting a Barrel that long! smile

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 01/24/16.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by drover
Back in the day when I was less monied than now my only hunting rifle was a .303, it did not group as well as I would have liked but I surely killed a great many deer and elk with it. In reality anything the 308 Win will do the .303 Brit will do.

Have fun with it - it will serve you well.

drover

Thank you. I'm thinking it will get tried out on the next hunt. I picked mine up for $69.00 and gave 30.00 for the Stock set right after but never put it on. I guess judging a Rifle by Price paid isn't always accurate. smile

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Not a purist, I broke down and bought one of the Ruger #1's chambered for 303. Took a while to find what the rifle wanted, but now it's definitely a favorite. Pleasant to carry and plenty of thump. Mine prefers the Sierra Pro Hunters, either 150's or 180's, seated over Varget.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two Brits, a BSA model "E" P-14 Sporter and a Ruger. I honestly haven't done much with the Ruger but the BSA has been a real joy. It shoots the 174 gr Hornady RN very well and absolutely loves the Woodleigh 215. The very first group I fired with the Woodleighs went into 5/8".

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks. I believe the rifle is a (sadly) butchered Lee Speed. Made in 1916, it has some WR markings on the metal and i am in the process of identifying its origins.

[Linked Image]

The three shots in the bull are 150gr SSTs and the three below (off target) are the 215 Woodleighs.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 303 is one of my favourite cartridges and the Lee Speed styled sporting rifles are definitely my favourite stock configuration.
This is a coupe of threads on some I have done

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?246222-A-Lee-Enfield-Sporting-rifle

http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/topic/19093/Bills-Lee-Speed-cure#.VqVqsORunIV

And then there is these two with one being a 375 and then mine in 400

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=260603&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

The martini makes a great little 303 as well even in the original military configuration
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?226756-A-Martini-Enfield-303-again

But it much nicer in the sporting stock
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=273104&an=0&page=0#Post273104

Last edited by VonGruff; 01/24/16.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They're about as common as hockey sticks up here. I'm told back in the day many a hardware store would have a barrel of No. 4s and a barrel of jungle carbines the 4s were five bucks and the carbines 6 or 7. I've got a J C that was my gramdpa's and had a Parker Hale sporter for a bit.

The surplus rifles were made to put a lot of rounds down range in a hurry and reliably and accuracy took the back seat, if you can get 5 or 6 moa you're doing OK. The sporter I had though with a tighter chamber and 4 groove deeper rifling was much more accurate 1.5 to 2 moa. I used to see the Canadian Rangers at a range I belonged to they still use the No. 4s. They were pretty handy at swapping parts back and forth and tinkering and some of them could beat 5 or 6 moa but not by much and only a couple rifles out of a dozen would maybe make 3 or 4 moa. They are what they are cool old units and the actions super reliable and dependable. Good magazines too actually.

I wouldn't mind a Ruger no 1 one day. Other than that the cartridge doesn't lend itself to much other than the Lee Enfield action. Which, I've seen them customized to shoot other rimmed cartridges 45-70 fairly often. That would be kinda kewl too...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Salty303;
Good evening to you sir, I hope this finds you well and the weekend was an acceptable one for you.

My first center fire rifle was a P14 in .303 which if memory serves I gave $15 for to a buddy. That would have been '74 or so I want to say.

I recall in around that time seeing 45 gallon drums of full wood SMLE's in the old Army & Navy store in Regina and they were $15 - the barrel full of "sporterized" ones were $25.

Honestly as a life time gun trader I can't recall how many I've owned - has to be over a dozen, though at least one got sold before I'd exited the gun show where I'd just bought it.

The most accurate I've played with were both SMLE's - both No 4's with 4 groove barrels. One was a Parker Hale sporter and the other still in cut down military wood.

The PH will group 180gr Sierra Pro Hunters into about an inch for three shots if one can work around the two stage trigger. The No 4 with the military wood we fooled with the bedding and trigger some to see what it'd do.

Strangely using 173gr .308" Lake City Match full patch bullets that goofy rifle put in a couple 1" groups with 5 shots. It shot way, way better than it had any right to, but there it is.

Oh, I've been front and center when at least 3 local mulie bucks were on the receiving end of one of those 180gr Sierra's and they certainly died forthwith. The same load killed a few BC moose too I should mention.

My late father killed a few Saskatchewan moose with a .303 before going to a .250 Savage 99 first and then finally a .308 Model 100. He said he liked the .308 best for moose, but they all worked well enough for our family to eat the results.

Lastly and I apologize for repeating this information, but in a lifetime of knocking around the edges of civilization in a couple provinces, the most common firearms in the hands of subsistence trappers and farmer/trappers back in the day was either a 94 Winchester in .30-30 or some variety of .303 British rifle.

They're not fancy, but the evidence indicates they work when asked to. grin

All the best to you in the upcoming week Salty.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why thank-you for the well wishes Dwayne and back at you sir. It is evident that you know your way around the various incarnations of the 303 British service riles. $15 in the 19 early 70s you say wow that's quite a bit of inflation since right after the big one when like I was told a fiver would seal the deal... Now as I'm sure you've seen an unmolested no 4 goes for more like 500 when you can find one for sale.

Dan

Last edited by Salty303; 01/24/16. Reason: signing off
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,673
Posts18,474,828
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.