Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
I have stumbled into a few old (100 rears or so old) guns over the years and have nearly always had a long, laborious task of cleaning the barrels. I am wondering if others have found a better means of cleaning the bores other elbow grease.

My present procedure is to a foaming bore cleaner and letting it sit for a while followed by dry patches on a jag. Repeat a couple times before doing the same process followed by a wire brush then patches. I'll often switch to a solvent of some sort and let soak even longer before brushing at this point When I get tired, run out of bore cleaner, or wear out enough brushes I'll try some bore paste if desperate.

This can take days, even weeks to accomplish and even then the barrel usually still looks pretty bad with a light shined down the barrel as well as continued very dirty patches run through the barrel. I realize the barrel will not usually look factory new but I think it could look better and am wondering if there is something else to try. Thanks for any suggestions.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a big fan of Ed's Red.

For one thing, it's cheap. For another, you can adjust the recipe to suit your needs. In your case, Ed's Red may be just the ticket in that it keeps working if you leave it in the bore.

I can take a dirty barrel, run one wet patch down the barrel and then let it sit for a couple weeks. The Ed's Red will loosen gunk and when I come back in a fortnight, the barrel comes clean very quickly.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a gunwriter, but.

Have made a hobby of buying older firearms and rehabbing them; am just a guy, not a gunsmith. But what's been highly effective on the EXTERIOR for gummed old oil, varnish overspray/brushed, light corrosion etc has been Ed's Red. So started to use that instead of my usual Montana Extreme for initial bore scrubbing, and with jb borepaste, saving montana extreme or rimfire blend for the last swipes on a fairly cleaned up barrel. There are no shortcuts am afraid, but this system has seemed more timely for me - busting crud/soaking w/ ed's red, bore paste as appropriate, then using the boutique stuff to finish up.

Again, not what you asked, but have seen some amazing improvement on exterior/parts surfaces, which led me to using it for crummy bores.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
These days there are several bore cleaners that can be left inside indefinitely, and the longer you leave 'em, the more stuff comes out.

What I've found useful is after the dang barrel is really clean, applying Dyna-Tek Bore Coat. DBC essentially seals the rough spots, at least as long as they aren't too deep. It also helps noticeably when shooting cast bullets through rough bores, especially when there's at least a little shine left in there, somewhere.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
Thanks for the suggestions, I guess I was hoping for an easier way but in vain.

I looked at Ed's Red a while back but the flammability issue worried me. I do my cleaning in the winter so am indoors. I may have to change my pattern as I do like the price and I am getting my collection of solvents down to a manageable level.

Again, thanks for the ideas.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
re: flammability, agree whole-heartedly, be careful with it. Keep stored in a closed mason jar. I have a "system" of laying used patches out flat on the bench to collect at the end of working and put in outdoor trash directly, same with any bits of rag, they get laid on a wire rack outside to air out before going in trash, out of fear for fire risk. To date, have not forgotten, but you are right to be careful with it. That said, is it any different than using Hoppe's in that regard? Doubt it. Plus side to doing this - can't smell any solvents in that room.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Where can you get Eds Red? Iv never heard of it before?

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a homebrew solution that you mix yourself. You can find a description of it here.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
You can divert a small quantity, up to 4 ounces per quart of the 50-50 ATF/kerosene mix for use as an "Ed's Red-compatible" gun oil. This can be done without impairing the effectiveness of the mix.

FYI.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Tag

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm lazy, and all that scrubbing bores me, been using one of these for years, and it workds great. Two solutions one for copper & one for lead.:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/243419/outers-foul-out-3-bore-cleaning-system

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outers-Cop-Out-II-Elecrotromagnetic-Gun-Bore-Cleaner-/252262900067?hash=item3abc0a6163:g:VeAAAOSwGotWowAe

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

In 2 weeks I could earn enough money to buy a gun with a better bore. I always marvel at the guys that are selling old guns will claim the bore should "clean up".

I have owned hundreds of old guns and the bores were as old as the rifle and never spent 2 weeks cleaning the bore on a single gun. If the bore is dark and pitted, a good soaking for maybe a couple hours or overnight in the extreme case, will usually clean it enough to get acceptable accuracy with cast bullets.

If you are looking for a shiny bore in a poorly maintained gun, you are better off looking at a different gun...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had decent luck with this stuff. (midway link is just for convenience, pretty sure you can find it other places.)

It cleaned up a couple of old guns I thought were relatively clean and really did job on an M700 I got from a friend who had no idea when/if the owner previous to him had cleaned it last.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/78...aming-bore-cleaning-solvent-5-oz-aerosol

Good luck,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
50-50 Kroil and Marvel Mystery Oil works pretty well

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Awhile back I was cleaning a Remington rolling block in 7MM and
when I pushed the cleaning brush out of the muzzle, small clouds of rust came out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I buy test tube stoppers on line, plug the chamber and fill the barrel with Hoppe's #9. A couple overnight soakings, each followed by a bore brush scrubbing, removes a lot of junk. It even worked on a Savage 99 that I doubt had been cleaned since it was new in 1952.
A size 00 stopper will fit a chamber from 30-06 head size through belted magnums like 338 Win Mag.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Ed`s Red sounds like Cancer waiting to happen.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
"keep away from pets and stupid people" I love it.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
Shrapnel,

You are right regarding the typical rifle bore, I am probably harboring unrealistic thoughts on one particular rifle. I have been able to get the bore of most rifles pretty darn clean but I have one which is giving me fits. No matter how much cleaning, a patch comes out pretty dirty after running a wire brush down the bore.

I've used various cleaners including an Outers Foul Out to no avail. Accuracy has improved but it still has a ways to go. I first blamed the shooting on the scope, a Lyman Alaskan with a faded dot, but borrowing a reproduction 7/8" scope helped only a little. I hoped to find an easier way of cleaning the barrel but I guess that is a pipe dream.

So is getting better accuracy though I haven't given up on bullet selection. The 250/3000 can be a little persnickety and this one is proving it in spades. My other ones were pretty easy so I guess the Law of Averages is catching up.

Thanks all for the suggestions, it looks like I'll just have to keep plugging away at it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (1234, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 22kHornet, 160user, 57 invisible), 15,817 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,907
Posts18,538,875
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.