Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Like I said guys, probably operator error on my part

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Find someone with a Hawkeye.

Could answer lots of questions.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Too hard and besides, they all still shoot very well, fouling and all. All I can tell you is I was meticulous in following the instructions and there was absolutely zero evidence of copper, carbon or powder fouling prior to application. My educated guess is Mod 70 barrels are rough to begin with, and no product will fill all the nook and cranies. On the other hand, I have a Weatherby Accumark with a Krieger that I've never treated, and those patches come out clean after only one or two passes.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Those premium barrels are easier to clean, don't need DBC as mush as the rougher ones. I treat my premiums anyway. Can't hurt and seems to help.

With those high performance rounds, throat erosion can rough up the bore and it's impossible to clean it "down to the steel".

Without a Hawkeye, you really don't know.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The factory barrel on my M70 375 H&H was amazingly rough, with the grooves loaded with "chatter". This I found while prepping the barrel for DBC. Once I saw how rough the barrel was I fire lapped it with my old NECO kit, then cleaned fully and applied DBC.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI

More likely a gravel road barrel than operator error.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've treated several very rough factory barrels with DBC, and it helped every one considerably.

I'm wondering if humidity might have an effect on how well it takes. The last step of de-greasing might not help much if the barrel immediately gets somewhat moist inside.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Too hard and besides, they all still shoot very well, fouling and all. All I can tell you is I was meticulous in following the instructions and there was absolutely zero evidence of copper, carbon or powder fouling prior to application. My educated guess is Mod 70 barrels are rough to begin with, and no product will fill all the nook and cranies. On the other hand, I have a Weatherby Accumark with a Krieger that I've never treated, and those patches come out clean after only one or two passes.

Krieger Krieger, or Criterion "Krieger"?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Maybe heat the barrel a good bit with a hair dryer to eliminate the possibility?

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've treated several very rough factory barrels with DBC, and it helped every one considerably.

I'm wondering if humidity might have an effect on how well it takes. The last step of de-greasing might not help much if the barrel immediately gets somewhat moist inside.

That is actually the only reason I'm interested in it. I just read your article about weatherproofing in SA and since my environment is often a lot like Phil Shoemaker's I thought it might be a good idea. On the other hand, it isn't often I don't have a cleaning kit close by, so it might be a moot point. Gun Shield, on the other hand, might be worth applying to the steel hidden in the stock.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 4ager

More likely a gravel road barrel than operator error.

Always a possibility, especially with high round count, high performance rounds.

Borescope.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman

Krieger Krieger, or Criterion "Krieger"?

No idea, all I can tell you is it shoots bugholes (like every other Weatherby) and it cleans easier than any rifle I own, with the possible exception of my Shiloh-Sharps.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Doug from DBC, helped me with a 338 Win mag that fouled after the treatmetn. Factory tube.

I simply had to shoot it and then clean and retreate a few times and it pretty much cleared up most of the fouling except the last inch or two would still foul.
WAY better than it ever was.

Being it shot groups as small as in the .2/.3s at times for 3 shot TSX groups, we didn't want to dump the barrel....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've done that as well. Treated my 300 H&H and 338s twice. I have thought about sending the rifles to them though.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I've been impressed with DBC.

I treat all my barrels. The premium ones just about don't copper foul, just some carbon that goes away with TM or Eliiminator soaks. The factory barrels don't foul as bad, don't need cleaning as often.

Never underestimate the value of a borescope to see what's actually going on.

DF

Asking out of ignorance -

Is this stuff just to reduce fouling, or does it have other benefits? I see weatherproofing mentioned a couple times, does it help prevent rust in carbon steel barrels?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have any of you guys tried DBC in a muzzle loader? If so, how did it work out for you? Thanks.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Have any of you guys tried DBC in a muzzle loader? If so, how did it work out for you? Thanks.

There was a recent thread on that.

May find it on Search.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I've been impressed with DBC.

I treat all my barrels. The premium ones just about don't copper foul, just some carbon that goes away with TM or Eliiminator soaks. The factory barrels don't foul as bad, don't need cleaning as often.

Never underestimate the value of a borescope to see what's actually going on.

DF

Asking out of ignorance -

Is this stuff just to reduce fouling, or does it have other benefits? I see weatherproofing mentioned a couple times, does it help prevent rust in carbon steel barrels?

From what I have read, it coats the bore with a micro particle ceramic material, cured by firing rounds.

The company does make protective coating products, not sure DBC does more than stated above.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yondering,

DBC works by creating a very thin layer of clear ceramic in the bore, which not only reduces fouling considerably but also protects CM from rusting. DBC will, however, erode in the throat area along with the steel, but reapplying works well, especially after a few fire-lapping bullets to smooth the throat.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, John.

I wasn't sure about rust protection with CM steel.

It does make sense.

DF

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 47 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,844
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.