Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 25 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Originally Posted by ironbender

Just a point of information here. They had burn permits at the time of the fires. The Hammonds got the remainder of the 5 year sentence because they were prosecuted under the umbrella of an anti-terrorism law.

Yes, they were convicted for arson on federal property. If that law were evenly applied, the jails would be overcrowded with farmers and ranchers. Total BS IMO and a miscarriage of justice. I may or may not know some folks who fires might have got onto fed land, and no one gave a single f@*k and no one went to jail.

I agree that it's BS, norm. Just pointing out FWIW that it was not for burning without a permit - that is all my point was.

I'll add, THAT is what the Bundy Boys should have been protesting.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
There is lot of stupid on both sides.

Bundy had a legitimate gripe loosing his AUM's so some fatcat could build condo's, solar project, whatever without due process or compensation by a department that lack checks and balances it should have. He should have kept paying and kept grazing, he would have had more support.

Hammonds got a raw deal, 5 years for burning without a permit is way over the top. It's hard to argue that there wasn't some bureaucratic overstep on feds part. Thats a problems that could have been resolved with more political pressure by the people.

The militia looks a bunch of unorganized people without a solid plan looking to get famous. It they had a clear message, and clear set of demands that were rational, they would have got more traction.

Gov Brown should have left them alone and stuck to munching carpets, her decision to allow the traffic stop made a martyr, I have a feeling someone is going to pay the price down the road. Another week or two, they would run out of beer and money and left anyway, what was the point of forcing the issue.

Just a point of information here. They had burn permits at the time of the fires. The Hammonds got the remainder of the 5 year sentence because they were prosecuted under the umbrella of an anti-terrorism law.

Just a quibble, the Anti-terrorism act took effect in 1996 and changed the penalties are certain crimes, one being arson of federal property. A "jury found Dwight Hammond guilty of one count, and Steven Hammond guilty of two counts of, Use of Fire to Damage and Destroy Property of the United States, in violation of 18 U.S.C. §§ 2 & 844(f)(1)."

They were not prosecuted under the 1996 act but rather 18 USC 2
the Act-"(AEDPA) is an act of Congress signed into law on April 24, 1996. The bill was introduced by former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole, passed with broad bipartisan support by Congress (91-8 in the United States Senate, 293-133 in the House of Representatives) following the 1990s World Trade Center and Oklahoma City bombings, and signed into law by President Bill Clinton.[1][2]

The real issue is the mandatory minimum rather than all the other chaff.

it seems to me, that law was intended to incarcerate someone(s) that did arson to a fed bldg or such, rather than burning sage.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
[quote=Stormin_Norman]There is lot of stupid on both sides.

Bundy had a legitimate gripe loosing his AUM's so some fatcat could build condo's, solar project, whatever without due process or compensation by a department that lack checks and balances it should have. He should have kept paying and kept grazing, he would have had more support.

Hammonds got a raw deal, 5 years for burning without a permit is way over the top. It's hard to argue that there wasn't some bureaucratic overstep on feds part. Thats a problems that could have been resolved with more political pressure by the people.

Just a quibble, the Anti-terrorism act took effect in 1996 and changed the penalties are certain crimes, one being arson of federal property. A "jury found Dwight Hammond guilty of one count, and Steven Hammond guilty of two counts of, Use of Fire to Damage and Destroy Property of the United States, in violation of 18 U.S.C. §§ 2 & 844(f)(1)."

They were not prosecuted under the 1996 act but rather 18 USC 2
the Act-"(AEDPA) is an act of Congress signed into law on April 24, 1996. The bill was introduced by former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole, passed with broad bipartisan support by Congress (91-8 in the United States Senate, 293-133 in the House of Representatives) following the 1990s World Trade Center and Oklahoma City bombings, and signed into law by President Bill Clinton.[1][2]

The real issue is the mandatory minimum rather than all the other chaff.

it seems to me, that law was intended to incarcerate someone(s) that did arson to a fed bldg or such, rather than burning sage.

No disagreement. What probably should have been at most a misdemeanor turns into 5 years under the stroke of an unintended consequence. The fault lies with congress and the President's Assistant Attorney's General.
Though from the opinions and orders in the criminal and civil case the Hammond's were not without blame.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It appears the stand-off is over.
http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-st...want_charge_drop.html#incart_maj-story-1

Check out the comments.

Alone in the Fortress of the Bears
70 Days Surviving Wilderness Alaska:
Foraging, Fishing, Hunting
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Well I guess it is time to send these guys some Depends and band-aids.

I have always been a bit puzzled....I grew up on a dairy/hog farm and we never had time to take a 3 week vacation. Are these guys really ranchers?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Murder and felonies all around!!! Welcome to the Brave New America!

LOL
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
the dead guy was a professional foster parent

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by northwestalaska

I have always been a bit puzzled....I grew up on a dairy/hog farm and we never had time to take a 3 week vacation. Are these guys really ranchers?

Posting this from Hawaii on day 8 of a 2 week vacation.

All my gov't buddies talked me into joining them for some much needed R&R.... Nice break from welfare ranching.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My tan is at about a 9.25, I should post up some selfies later.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That chit I see on your flip-flops?

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, one of the G-men has very little alcohol tolerance and chit all over the place.

Typical considering the source.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson
My tan is at about a 9.25, I should post up some selfies later.

Sam,

hope you're enjoying the vakay,

talk of tans, tan lines, and flip flops belongs down in the AI thread.

Please, post NO pics of YOUR tan lines.

Geno

PS, girls on the beach, yeah we wanna see those tan lines! Post pics here so I don't miss them.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by wageslave
That chit I see on your flip-flops?

There's no way SamO wears flip flops.

Don't be trying to drag other people down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like edited and unedited video feeds are up. More than ample opportunity to live through that stop. Looks as though he elected to sacrifice himself.

Now to root out the rest of the suicidal rats.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/28/16.

1Minute
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
9:28 of the youtube video is where is looks like he went for his waist.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There was no need to shoot him. He was not a threat. Not from what I saw. Not in those conditions. Who was the shooter?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by kingston
There was no need to shoot him.

Bull.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by kingston
There was no need to shoot him. He was not a threat. Not from what I saw. Not in those conditions. Who was the shooter?

Seriously? Hands-up, to reaching for a loaded weapon?

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Wow that was quite "routine" traffic stop... When I been pulled over usually just one cop car... Watching that video is sad...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 21 of 25 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1234, 53 invisible), 18,601 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,966
Posts18,539,797
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.