Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by fgold767
Son in law got laid off last Monday...worked his a** off all the last week moving office ...spent weekend in hospital discovering the stress of the job gave him an ulcer...was at home recovering when his boss texted him to call him...to tell him he was laid off!....he did get 3 months severance pay but this was just cold and unfeeling....

Can't be... cost of gas is down, 7 years of obama, the country is in great shape......

Sorry to hear this.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by savage24
Originally Posted by silver78
So why do we employees continue to honor this old tradition of giving two weeks notice. Are we collectively a bunch of suckers?

As others have said, it is more about my personal code of conduct. I worked for a company run by one of the biggest a-holes in this city. I gave a 2 week notice when I left because I'm not the a-hole, he is.

Additionally, I would be very cautious of a prospective employer that told me they needed me to start immediately and not give notice to my current employer. If they are running their business in a way that puts them in the position of needing you NOW and cannot get by for two weeks and don't give a flip about you doing the honorable thing with your soon to be former employer...that should pretty well tell you how they will treat you also.

Bingo!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A lot of places require 2 weeks notice to be paid for your accrued vacation time etc. If you leave without giving notice you could risk that payment. I have witnessed employees give longer notices to their employers to help them find a replacement only to no longer earn vacation time etc during their time left at the company.

that being said, the company I work for is very good about making sure there are no suprises. They will let you know months in advance if your work is not fitting in with the rest, or meeting expectations.They will also let you know if a work slowdown is coming and there might be a lay off. To my knowledge, the two lay off victims were given a month severance, and the one person who was let go with no notice due to his impact of office morale, was given a good severance as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I worked for an ass once. When I gave notice, somehow my schedule got pretty busy. The second week I reminded him of some crap that he laid on me about a year prior and said he'd have the next 4 days to think about it, since I wouldn't be around.

The look was priceless.

Felt good to be a gangster.....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Absolutely give 2 weeks unless the company has a history of firing people in their last 2 weeks. This was the case years ago when I worked at Capital One. They were firing just about everybody who'd given 2 weeks, then stomping and screaming if somebody left without notice.

I gave the notice. And got threatened a couple times in my last 2 weeks, but not fired.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All my life I gave a notice. Sometimes two weeks and other times a month, depending how important my duties were to the company. Some here may remember me posting about the company where I was working last year. Payroll checks were bouncing, creditors were not getting paid, and the owner was double gouging by get money from the bank on items shipped at the time an order came in when we didn't have any material. The owner of the building was a friend. He told me the first rent check bounced. The metal supply store owner told me the first check she received was written on a closed account. Since I didn't need the job I was enjoying myself with all the soap opera foolishness. I was working in the grinding room working with industrial knives. There was an constant chance of getting cut. It was kind of an on going saga. By reading over the shoulder of the HR lady after hours I discovered the owner let the workman's compensation laps. I told her, "I won't be here tomorrow. I'm quitting." And that was that.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Now that I'm 15+ years self employed the thing that pisses me off most is I can't lay me off nor accept 2 weeks notice.

I'll probably leave this job on bad terms. The boss is an ass hole.

grin

Now that there is some funny schit!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have always thought that it was appropriate to give one pay-period of notice when you were going to leave a job.

As an employer, I always gave a severance package to people who I let go, unless they stole from me or misused company equipment. I didn't give notice, but I paid them whatever was due for the current pay period, plus the next two weeks of pay, plus one week of pay for each year of service, plus payment for any accrued vacation, plus I continued all company paid benefits for up to 90 days.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 78 invisible), 3,342 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,631
Posts18,533,232
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.