Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Are they really that good?

Really would like a Mannlicher McWoody, but they don't/won't make it.

MPI starts at $725.00 for a Mannlicher with pad, studs, and paint.

Any opinions or first hand experience would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sean
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The only draw to an MPI is if you want something that is strange, like a Mannlicher thumbhole or some such. Or if you need a synthetic for some weird inlet like a sporterized Arisaka or a P14 that's been converted to LH, Doc can and will make a mold for it. They also make stocks for Savage 99, Win 88 and 100, Ruger #1 and other two piece stocks. They don't do McWoody because they don't mold color into the gelcoat, all their blanks come primer black and need painting. Also they are a lot of work compar d to a McM or High Tech and not for the inexperienced.

Edited to add. I'm assuming $725 is a finished stock, the blanks are cheaper than that and what I was referring to when I said they are labor intensive.

Last edited by TheKid; 02/04/16.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have one on one of my left handed mini Mausers. I like the stock really well but it's the standard classic stock and not a mannlicher. I emailed several of the synthetic stock makers when I was looking for a stock for the rifle and some never bothered to respond, some said no, McMillan couldn't seem to make up their mind whether they could make a stock or not for me. One email said they thought they could and when I tried to pin them down on price and turn around they said they weren't sure about it. MPI said no problem right from the first email. I think it was 4-5 months turn around if I recall correctly and I've been very pleased with the stock. I chose the full custom stock option.

Last edited by mart; 02/04/16.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, pre-bedded with pads and black paint. Custom paint from them is another buck-fifty!

Mart, I didn't contact Mcmillan direct, but did ask Rick. Basically I would have to pay for a one off custom mold. It's for an FN Mauser, but unless a whole bunch of people want a Mannlicher stocked Mauser, it's not in my budget.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone else has something to add it would be appreciated. If any one has a wood stock they want to get rid of I might interested in that too. Just not the Euro hog back style.

Sean
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Contact Rick Steinhour at Extreme Rifle Works. His shop is in TX.

Somehow he manages to fully install and bed any MPI stock you choose for less than the price MPI lists on their site.

I have had several MPI installed by him and each has been great.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
calikooknic,

MPI made a stock for my Weatherby Mark V Ultralight six lug. It started at twelve ounce. Once they added the Weatherby style cheek piece and got rid of the bottom metal it was about eighteen ounces. Without bedding, swivels or kick pad it cost $512. They made it fit a Sendero-light barrel contour.

If I get another rifle, it will have an MPI.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
AK416,

Thanks for that heads up.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by AK416

Somehow he manages to fully install and bed any MPI stock you choose for less than the price MPI lists on their site.

This.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by AK416

This.

Rick did one for me a lightweight for a Ruger. Its a nice stock and Rick did a great job. I would have no trouble going for a MPI from Rick again.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
MPI is 3rd rate dog chit. The stocks "kinda sorta" fit a pattern. Comb height, drop, cast are suggested values. Stock fill tends to come loose and rattle around inside. You get what you get - you won't get your money back or a stock made as promised.

Suggest you spend some time searching 24hrs for MPI stocks - I wish I had done more before I purchased.

David

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That's ancient history. Current MPI stocks are far better.
I have two of their Kevlar Classics. 18 ozs. ready to bolt up. And tough as nails. Been well tested, both of them.
After having a few less than satisfying experiences with McMillian, I'd be inclined to go with MPI before McM.
For a truly lightweight, tough stock, I know of nothing better. E

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I have two of their Kevlar Classics. 18 ozs. ready to bolt up. And tough as nails. Been well tested, both of them.
After having a few less than satisfying experiences with McMillian, I'd be inclined to go with MPI before McM.

2 years ago isn't ancient history. I've had problems ordering McMillan 's also - difference is McMillan eventually took the unsatisfactory stock back and replaced it with a stock that was built to specification at no cost. MPI told me there was nothing more they could do.

Buyer beware! MPI is dog chit!

David

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've had one MPI and it was a great stock.

I also have a Brown Precision and it is a good stock but lots of work to finish.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Canazes9

2 years ago isn't ancient history. I've had problems ordering McMillan 's also - difference is McMillan eventually took the unsatisfactory stock back and replaced it with a stock that was built to specification at no cost. MPI told me there was nothing more they could do.

David

Just curious who did the finish/install?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by noKnees
Originally Posted by Canazes9

David

Just curious who did the finish/install?

MPI

They had my barreled action for almost 8 months. Ordered a Kimber Montana dup pattern. What I got had so much drop and such a low comb it was impossible to get a good cheek weld and see through the scope, also had [bleep] rattling around in the stock - POS. Numerous conversations, no satisfaction. Shame on me, I had been warned about MPI, but thought they couldn't stay in business if they routinely turned out stuff that bad - wrong!

David

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Give Todd over at Bettin Custom Guns a shout. He has my lightweight Savage 7mm-08 right now. Not sure about a mannlicher, but he has several patterns and they all come in 24-26 oz with a 1" decelerator.

He charges $750, but that includes fully finished stock (with paint), full bedding, and cerakote on the metal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm pretty disappointed with the campfire. This threads been here for several days and not one picture of popsicle sticks. This place has really gone downhill.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those are certainly pretty sticks, but that's not the picture.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Those are certainly pretty sticks, but that's not the picture.

If I'm not mistaken, THIS would be "the picture" ...

[Linked Image]

-WGM-
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (22250rem, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 160user, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,235
Posts18,504,442
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.