-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
can't get my computer to defragment, and it really needs it. it is so bogged down and likes to lockup frequently...
<br>
<br>it used to defrag just fine, but not anymore. i will disable the screen saver, and shut all programs down, then tell it to go, and for as long as i want to wait, it won't get past 10% done (i've waited as long as 72 hours)...
<br>
<br>any help? please?
<br>
<br>

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

<br>I've had that problem a couple of times. Try running scandisk first, then try to defrag. If it is really bad, you might need to reload Windows and start over again, as it usually indicates some corruption in your programs. Just my 2.5 cent's worth- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have the same situation here. When I run scandisk, it cooks for awhile, gets about 20% through the scan, then I get a message saying I have irrepairable damage to my drive. At that point I spew forth some profanity, cancel the whole thing, and go back online.
<br>
<br> I wondered if reloading the operating software would correct the problem, but honestly, it's a ways over my head. I don't want to screw up my internet connectivity email account etc. I doubt I could get it all re-established for quite awhile.
<br>
<br>MM

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Montana: You need to do a full surface scan. What OS is this ? I can help ya if you want.
<br>
<br>Tex

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Definately start with a full surface scan also. And what OS is this?
<br>
<br>Cheers
<br>
<br>Tex

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
i tried doing the whole scan...it goes for a bit, then restarts... goes for a bit, then restarts, and on and on.
<br>
<br>os is windows 98.
<br>yeah, i definitely want help!
<br>
<br>

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Texas Hunter,
<br>
<br>I'm running windows 98.
<br>
<br>When I start the "thorough" scan on the scandisk, it cooks for awhile, eventually gets to where it is scanning disk surface, gets to about 46,000 of 1,600,000 segments and eveything locks up. all I can do is a hard shutdown.
<br>
<br>Before that happens, I usually see a message saying I have serious disk damage, and may require a replacement. Sounds kind of grim......
<br>
<br>MM

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Believe Tex will probably know more about all this, but this is the way I get it done.
<br>
<br>Delete all cookies and temporary internet files.
<br>Shut all programs.
<br>Disable screen saver.
<br>Run scan disk.
<br>Ctrl/Alt Delete to get to all open applications.
<br>One by one, highlight and end task on all but Systray and Explore.
<br>Start defragger.
<br>
<br>If all that won't do it, try a utility like Norton System Tools or some such.
<br>
<br>Tex,
<br>Please tell me if this is bs. IT man at work told me this once and it has worked on stubborn machines for me in the past.
<br>
<br>Good luck!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
BT - Start with a cold boot. As soon as Win 98 is loaded, hit Ctrl Alt Del. This will bring up a window of active drivers and software. Close all programs by selecting End Task (Not Shut Down) one by one EXCEPT for Windows & Systray.
<br>
<br>Once all the programs are closed, attempt defrag once again.
<br>
<br>If you still get hung up, reboot your computer in Safe Mode hit F8 repeatedly when rebooting until you see the safe mode screen. This will bypass most of your drivers. Once stable, you can attempt defrag in Safe Mode.
<br>
<br>If you are still having problems, attempt a surface scan in Safe Mode.
<br>
<br>If you are still having problems, then you may well indeed have surface errors. This is the precursor for a total disk crash. Better begin to backup as many user files as possible. Don't bother with program files as long as you have the disks.
<br>
<br>It is always a good idea to install two hard disks on any system today. The D drive should be used as a back up to your C drive. If your C drive craps out, you simply remove your D drive and you user files are safe. Partitioning a drive is of little use.
<br>
<br>Good luck!
<br>
<br>Sorry Westman - we posted on top of eachother....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Try this,
<br>Hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE once(and only once). Check if anything is running in the background such as Norton or some of the spyware or junk software that comes with the OEM operating system. Compaq, Dell and others add a bunch of crap programs that run in the background. If there is a program running in the background shut it down (the "End Task" command) and try it again.
<br>
<br>The disk defragmentation in Windoze 98 is painfully slow. Sit back, relax and go shoot something. If your drive is really screwed up, it could take days to defrag it.
<br>
<br>To keep Windoze 98 running somewhat well? reboot every 24 hours or you will be greeted by the dreaded"Blue Screen Of Death".
<br>
<br>Here are two links to help Windoze 98 run better. All of the usual disclaimers apply here.
<br>
<br>http://www.speedguide.net/Windows/index.shtml
<br>
<br>And
<br>
<br>http://www.winguides.com/registry/tweaks.php?os=Windows98&page=1
<br>
<br>Back up your registry before you try any of these tweaks!
<br>
<br>And finally, upgrade to Windows 2000 Professional NOW!!!. Windoze 98 and ME are crap(ME is really crap) and Windoze XP is a bloated resource hog.
<br>
<br>If none of this works, try a 12ga shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot. It won't help your computer but you will feel much better
<br>
<br>Good Luck
<br>ZM

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had the same problem. My machine was doing exactly the same thing you all are describing. There is something running in the background that is causing the defrag to start over endlessly. On the advice of the most eminent Texas Hunter, resident computer guru and all around good guy I bought Norton Utilities and followed directions. Cleaned up every problem. Machine now runs like a top and has since Disk doctor got hold of it. General cleaning once a week keeps it perking.
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Boggy,
<br>
<br>That is usually what is happening. Something is running in the background. that is why you kill everthing with the end task command at ctrl/alt/del.
<br>
<br>Of course, that does not stop what ever is running. Some of those things are good though, and Norton or similar utilities recognize that.
<br>
<br>Good advise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would also recommend going Here and downloading the free Easycleaner program and running the "Clean Registry" and "Unnecessary Files" after you find them and select all and delete all of them your computer will run noticeably faster!
<br>
<br>I run it about once a week!
<br>
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was having the same problem and what I was told to do is as follows.Click your start icon,then click Run, type in msconfig,click OK,your system config utility will come up.Click startup,and then go thru the list of programs unchecking each box.If you want you can write down which ones you've unchecked,so you know what ones to check after defragging as they may not all be checked. Restart and then try defragging again,which should work as you'v closed all programs that were running. go thru the same steps and recheck the boxs and restart.Its kind of a pain but its the only thing that worked for me.You may recognize some programs that you can start manually from your program list,such as a scanner,CD burner,Webshots,etc.These I don't recheck as it just bogs performance down.I always recheck the c:\windows files.
<br>These things aren't called PCs(personal confusers) for nothing.
<br>Jeff

Jeff

I'm NOT the JScottRupp of Wolfe Publishing.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Montana: You need to get anything that you need backed up on that computer dealt with. Emails.. Address book.... anything you need a copy of ..... get started. That drive really will die sooner or later here. SOMETIMES you can scratch it down and do a low-level format and mark out the bad sectors using software from the drive manufacture. A cheap new drive will run ya 75 bucks. 110 gets a killer disk...And getting that stuff copied BEFORE it craps on ya is worth the 75 bucks.
<br>
<br>There is one more major upgrade I would recomend. It really is finally time to bail on Win 98 if at all possible. Win 2000 or Win XP with ntfs is so far and away superior... 100 times as stable as win 98 ever dreamed to be.
<br>
<br>email me and I can help ya with the disk errors anyway.
<br>
<br>Sheister actually sent me his computer to fix for free but I walked Spike all the way thru installing a new disk and a fresh Windows Install on the phone if your brave... (grin)
<br>
<br>Have you guys also both tried booting in to Windows under safe mode and try the defrags/scandisks there?
<br>
<br>email me if I don't see this thread fast enough.
<br>
<br>Tex
<br>
<br>m-k-withers@attbi.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hi Tex, I have had to do the safe mode thing a couple of times when this one gets slow. PIA but gets the job done. I also run adaware 5.62 every couple of days to wipe out spywaer and use regclean every time I defrag. So far so good, haven't seen the "blue screen of death" in I don't know how long.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks for the help guys, I'll apply what you have suggested. If I need a real "pro", there are quite a few of the younger Marines in the unit who are wizards with these things.
<br>
<br> If my system crashes, I wont be out much. I'll back-up my photo album. Other than that we only use this thing for email and internet.
<br>
<br>Thanks again, MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ok, start up in run level one... Oooops, wrong OS [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Just be sure to back up your irreplaceable data ASAP. And I second the advice to step up to Win 2K. The filesystem used by NT and Win2K is much more robust than that used by Win 95,98 and ME. Win XP is a pig. I'll never move to it on a personal machine. I'm joining the ranks of the penguinheads.
<br>
<br>Regards,
<br>Scott

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ok, start up in run level one. Log in as root.... Oooops, wrong OS [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Just be sure to back up your irreplaceable data ASAP. And I second the advice to step up to Win 2K. The filesystem used by NT and Win2K is much more robust than that used by Win 95,98 and ME. Win XP is a pig. I'll never move to it on a personal machine. I'm joining the ranks of the penguinheads.
<br>
<br>Regards,
<br>Scott

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10gaugeman, 2500HD, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 222Sako, 52 invisible), 3,349 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,705
Posts18,534,770
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.