Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lenz Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have a custom shop model 70 7mm stw made in 94
GXXXX I removed the action from the stock and noticed a lug on the barrel about 4 inches
In front of the lug on the action. This is the first time I have encountered this , it may be the norm for older Winchesters but the first I have seen . What is this ? What purpose does it serve? I was going to glass bed this rifle but this has me stumped .

GB1

L
Lenz Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Well I must have a one of a kind

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Lenz
Well I must have a one of a kind

I do believe that you hit the nail on the head there...

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Only ones I've seen are on the Safari Express or Super Express in the heavier calibers....... .375, .416 & .458

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, I had a M70 African (458WM) built in 1978 that had the barrel lug you describe - it was supposed to keep the stock from splitting during recoil. Maybe the custom shop thought a 7mm STW would benefit from one.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B2

L
Lenz Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Thanks Guys ! That makes sense to me now . This was a individual custom order. I have went and looked at the order and it didn't mention that detail . Every aspect of this rifle was special ordered
Although at this time the Stw was not a production round yet. Maybe they felt this was going to be too much for the B&C stock it sits in.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Now for the question of the day. How are you going to glass bed it?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a Custom Shop 7mm STW takeoff barrel (Sporting Sharpshooter) and it does not have such a lug.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
As others have said, secondary recoil lug used mainly for the big boomers. CZ put them on any rifle over 375 H&H.

He went over yonder way
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a custom shop model 70 7mm stw made in 94
GXXXX I removed the action from the stock and noticed a lug on the barrel about 4 inches
In front of the lug on the action. This is the first time I have encountered this , it may be the norm for older Winchesters but the first I have seen . What is this ? What purpose does it serve? I was going to glass bed this rifle but this has me stumped .

Is it a Sporting Sharpshooter or a Sharpshooter? I have both ,both are in McMillian stocks and Im not sure Ive had either out of their Stocks... I will check, I would have thought thy would have wanted the barrel freefloating , I have shot guns bedded full length that were tackdrivers as well, I the stock wood? very best WinPoor

IC B3

L
Lenz Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Model 70 custom super grade 7mmS.T.W 24" sightless barrel, matte blue , McMillan synthetic black fiberglass stock "Super Grade" configuration with cheekpiece-black Decelerator recoil pad. Custom bedded stock - hand honed action -hand lapped barrel- hand engine turned bolt and follower- flat sided bolt sleeve -steel trigger guard,and magazine cover, claw control feed extraction-un knurled bolt handle - special custom shop proof stamp -initials on trigger guard . April 11,1994
This is what the work order said in all
It does have the bedding on both lugs and tang
I have had this rifle for a very long time and never shot it
No need to I already have two other stw's . But I did get around to it and a tac driver it is. So I thought I would give it the same treatment as the rest of the rifles I own . Pillars and a good bedding. What would it hurt ? Now I don't know what to do ? Remove the extra lug and proceed or leave well enough alone? The cost of this new was $1800.00 in 94
Had never been shot when I got it . I don't want to degrade it no more than it will be from me shooting it.

L
Lenz Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I made a mistake when I said it was a B&C stock it has a McMillan

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I would not remove the lug. Winchester put it there and at the risk of being rude they know more about rifles than you do. If it's accurate just the way it is why mess with it??

L
Lenz Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Because I always want a little bit better than what I have ,and the quest to achieve it gives me something to do.
There is no question about it I can mess a good thing up but sometimes I do make them better. Didn't work with my ex wife but she was a mess the guy before me left , so I gave up and now another has taken my place. I pray for him daily. Long story short God gave me a woman who is perfect now and she is trying to fix me.... I wish her all the luck lol

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It's your rifle so do what you want to with it but I just don't see the purpose to mess with a Custom Shop rifle that's already accurate. Why reduce the value just because you can? Like I said it's your rifle so if it's something you want to do go ahead and do it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Heeler
As others have said, secondary recoil lug used mainly for the big boomers. CZ put them on any rifle over 375 H&H.

Correction. Any rifle over 9.3x62mm...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Model 70 custom super grade 7mmS.T.W 24" sightless barrel, matte blue , McMillan synthetic black fiberglass stock "Super Grade" configuration with cheekpiece-black Decelerator recoil pad. Custom bedded stock - hand honed action -hand lapped barrel- hand engine turned bolt and follower- flat sided bolt sleeve -steel trigger guard,and magazine cover, claw control feed extraction-un knurled bolt handle - special custom shop proof stamp -initials on trigger guard . April 11,1994
No need to I already have two other stw's . But I did get around to it and a tac driver it is. So I thought I would give it the same treatment as the rest of the rifles I own . Pillars and a good bedding. What would it hurt ? Now I don't know what to do ? Remove the extra lug and proceed or leave well enough alone? The cost of this new was $1800.00 in 94
Had never been shot when I got it . I don't want to degrade it no more than it will be from me shooting it.

Leave it alone unless the bedding is crap. I've seen some of the hot glue bedding come out very easily. Sometimes even stuck to the metal because Winchester didn't use enough release agent. If it is a tack driver like you say it is and the bedding doesn't look bad, leave it as is...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Because I always want a little bit better than what I have ,and the quest to achieve it gives me something to do.
There is no question about it I can mess a good thing up but sometimes I do make them better. Didn't work with my ex wife but she was a mess the guy before me left , so I gave up and now another has taken my place. I pray for him daily. Long story short God gave me a woman who is perfect now and she is trying to fix me.... I wish her all the luck lol

That's understandable. I've been known to be the same way. My first thought is if you have to ask us what to do with your rifle, you may not know enough about doing a quality bedding job on your rifle. I've glass bedded damn near every rifle I've owned over the years and have glassed both recoil lugs when they have been present. It's generally rare that rifles have dual recoil lugs unless they are real heavy kickers and known to break/crack stocks. Here's a CZ 550 American that I glass bedded. Accuracy did improve after bedding. YMMV:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just my 2C but I would leave the Custom Shop gun alone! If you are not going to use it and one day may sell or pass down it will hold value much better left alone! Every Custom shop gun Ive owned was a tack driver! I just let a Custom Shop 22-250 go locally, Sporter Varmint with original order form, all paperwork ,box and shipping sleeve, fantastic wood, I had my first varmint scope a Redfield 6x18 on it in Bueler Mounts.. It did 1600 and I still hated to see it go! very best winpoor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

If you get a chance post a photo, I love the post Custom Shop guns! very best WinPoor

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (akpls, 300_savage, 2500HD, 79S, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 12 invisible), 1,378 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,926
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.