Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
My Glocks, some lube, run 2-3 mags worth of what ever ammo I have and I am good to go.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 308ld
Originally Posted by MOGC
Self defense carry? I carry a LCR 5 shot revolver. It has gone bang every time I shoot it. I also have a SIG 229 40 S&W I would carry. It has never ever FTF or jammed.

Accuracy, minimum...Keep it in 6-8" at 7 yards. I'm only looking at Self Defense. I don't think I would shoot anyone further than that.

So if a bad guy is shooting at you from 20 yards, he gets a pass?

No, when he gets to 7 yards I will kill him.

Great plan... chit.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Self defense carry? I carry a LCR 5 shot revolver. It has gone bang every time I shoot it. I also have a SIG 229 40 S&W I would carry. It has never ever FTF or jammed.

Accuracy, minimum...Keep it in 6-8" at 7 yards. I'm only looking at Self Defense. I don't think I would shoot anyone further than that.

So if a bad guy is shooting at you from 20 yards, he gets a pass?

No, when he gets to 7 yards I will kill him.

Great plan... chit.

You may have a 13 yard problem there...

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
'Self defense' occurs at whatever range the other guy might luck a shot into you. You have to be good; the other guy only has to be lucky.

I have always liked good revolvers and I've had several snubs that would ring a 12" gong at 50-100 yards.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I believe if you run 100-150 rounds thru any handgun with no hiccups at all you can consider it reliable. 500 is too extreme IMO. As far as accuracy goes, reliability is a whole lot more important than accuracy in a carry gun where it has been proven most shootouts occur withing 10 ft.

Most people could not shoot 200 rounds straight, witj one of these sub compacts that are so popular today

I have a Smith 686, and with cast bullets ,I can go 400 rounds or so without a cleaning if I am using Universal Clays.It is usually the bullet that mucks up a gun with that many rounds though

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/13/16.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
IMO, if you're shooting 2" groups at 12 yards you are not shooting FAST enough.

as long as it goes bang EVERY time I'm good with it.

"inch" groups at rock throwing range does not interest me.

multiple hits on man sized target is my goal.

accuracy on target, then SPEED is what I think matters.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Blammer, the interesting thing is, those of us who've competed in IPSC, Steel Challenge matches and other assorted shooting get-togethers can already shoot fast enough. IMO, those who can't shoot 2" groups at 12 yards, need more practice shooting first, and blasting second. The internet is filled with dash cam videos of cops who can shoot really fast...but they can't shoot very accurately.

But, I agree on principal, that once you "CAN" shoot, you should decrease your time. I often encountered guys who would shoot better groups than me, but I was policing my brass while they were still shooting their 2nd of two magazines.

There are guys who can shoot a double tap into 2" at 10 yards that is exceedingly fast. So, don't poo-poo small groups. Some can do it and some can't.

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 02/13/16.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

As far as reliability, I'd like it to go 500 rounds without any serious cleaning and still be malfunction free. Any malfunction has to have an explanation...ammo to light for the recoil spring, magazine springs too light for the slide speed, feed lips out of spec on a magazine, or whatever else might cause a problem.

I see no point in worrying about 500 rounds w/o cleaning as my carry guns are carried clean, & a 30 round shootout would be an extreme scenario.

If the gun will run 200 rounds with no malfunctions, shot 50 or so at a time & cleaned in between, or even the 200 straight through, I'm OK with it.

If 500 makes you feel more warm & fuzzy, OK fine, minus the not cleaning issue.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
For me, its not so much about reliability when dirty or whatever as it is about actually just functioning period along with not having some parts breakage or failure while breaking in. I had a Ruger LCP break the trigger bar at round #187, a Kimber 1911 break an MIM magazine catch at #768, a Glock G22 break an extractor hook around #1,500. All those new guns. Crap happens and all parts aren't solid and all guns aren't perfect all the time. Until I can get some rounds through the gun I'm not completely confident in the weapon.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So your procedure is to randomly hammer poorly fit parts together for hundreds of rounds in hopes the gun fixes itself? That's like trying to fix a rod knock by flooring the gas pedal. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What are you talking about?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For me it has to work every time given decent ammo. Accuracy, it has to be as good as I am that is 2" at 25 yards. Does not matter automatic or revolver. Have found over the years revolvers tend to do better. Automatics either great or very much not so..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t have a preset objective standard for round count or accuracy. For full and medium sized guns by major manufacturers, I may skip the practice ammo and run it straight out of the box with carry ammo for a couple of range sessions. I may or may not do that with mini-guns depending on perceptions about break-in issues. In terms of mechanical accuracy, they all are better than me. Sometimes I have to learn the trigger and sights to get my personal best out of it.

I don’t have a required number of rounds between cleanings. With some mini-guns I am happy if it can fire all rounds from every magazine without malfunction (about 50). All others, including some mini-guns, seem to be able to run a couple of days of practice/training without malfunctions.

For semi-autos I do a limp wrist test with carry ammo using strong hand only and support hand only. I try to hold the gun as loosely as possible without dropping the gun during recoil and see if it will cycle for a few rounds without malfunctioning. To date, I have not carried a gun that has failed this test.

Although not a prerequisite to carry, I like to verify reliability and/or learn quirks by running through some IDPA/defensive pistol type courses of fire.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SargeMO

I have always liked good revolvers and I've had several snubs that would ring a 12" gong at 50-100 yards.

I have a buddy that can do that with his 642. At 25 yds he's deadly accurate.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by blammer
IMO, if you're shooting 2" groups at 12 yards you are not shooting FAST enough.

as long as it goes bang EVERY time I'm good with it.

"inch" groups at rock throwing range does not interest me.

multiple hits on man sized target is my goal.

accuracy on target, then SPEED is what I think matters.

This is a good example of how this forum has gone downhill. There have been some comments on this thread that I didn't agree with, but I still found worthwhile. But this one, this one just doesn't even make any sense. It's just rambling for the sake of making noise without anything to contribute.

An accuracy standard of 2" at 12 yards has nothing to do with speed, because it's an accuracy standard. To say that any time you shoot a small group you have to shoot faster until your group is larger is the equivalent of saying that only large groups are useful. How absurd.

"As long as it goes bang every time"....So if a gun EVER malfunctions it's not suitable for carry? Because if "no malfunctions ever" isn't your standard, what is it? That's the whole point of the thread, to share information.

"Inch groups don't interest me"...."a man sized target"....I've got news for you, man-sized targets are measured in inches. If you think that a hit anywhere on a silhouette like what is commonly produced and hung up at gun ranges is a good hit, you're sorely mistaken. The blood pumping, air exchanging parts of a man-sized target are contained in inches. And unfortunately, bad guys don't always stand out in the open facing directly at you so you can hit them anywhere you happen to flinch a bullet into them.

"Accuracy on target"....Well accuracy is what we were trying to measure when you said we were shooting too slowly. How much accuracy is needed? A measurable accuracy standard is what I was asking about. But your reply is just "accuracy"....thanks for all the help.

I certainly agree that speed is important and I'm quite capable of shooting fairly quickly. Bill Drills in the low 2s and FAST Drills in sub 4.5seconds don't come from slow shooters, or inaccurate shooters.

But I also see the value in measuring accuracy independently of speed, which needs to be done to have a something to help determine when the speed is becoming detrimental.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't have a set break in period, but for the most part I run 50 rounds through a clean gun. Clean, then run 200 rounds through. This is usually cheap FMJ ammo. Clean, then I run 50 rounds or so of whatever HP I will carry.

I use 3 or 4 magazines that I will plan to carry as well. Any FTF and that magazine goes. I always load a full magazine, rack the slide from the slide stop, and then top off the magazine again before firing, since that is how it will be when carried.

If no FTF at that point, I don't worry about it. It still gets shot quite a bit after that anyway.

Most of this shooting is at an 8 or 12 inch gong at 25 yards. If I can't hit the 8 inch gong most of the time and the 12 inch gong all of the time, I'm worried. It won't be carried until it can.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These days most pistols are sufficiently accurate and reliable to get you through a defensive situation. It's training that's hard on handguns, especially sessions with high round counts. Anytime a malfunction is encountered that chips away at your confidence. So what most people are really looking for is a pistol that's sufficient to get through their training sessions without killing your confidence.

I had to become okay with trusting the law of averages and just "knowing" which guns are good and which I needed to be concerned with when I did bodyguard work because I was guaranteed at least once or more times per year I would find myself carrying an "issued" gun that I have no history with. But honestly anything that will function the rounds I carry and shoot a group less than 8-10 inches at 25 yards is probably going to get the job done... Doesn't mean that's my preference, just my understanding of "needs" vs "wants"

I only shoot more than 200 rounds per outing in any one pistol about once or twice per year. I'm happy to report in 12 years and 11k rounds of shooting my primary CC handgun it has let me down a grand total of once, a broken firing pin on a replaced firing pin that had around 4K rounds through it. Would have been terminal had it happened in a gunfight because it happened on round 3. Not much that could be done about that. It was a top quality part; chit happens.

I like a gun that can hit a man sized target at 150 yards, not a requirement, but a strong preference.

I typically do 200 rounds per session and my LE Commander tolerates that with ease. If I were doing 500-1,000 rounds per session, my LW Commander may not be my choice. Newer designs tend to do better with long practice sessions.

Have to admit, I've been eyeballing The CZ P09 and G19 of late. I struggle with shots over 150 yards with the G19, which is why I'm leaning toward the CZ.

Just like higher round counts, the 150 yard shot isn't a requirement, but it makes me feel better.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think this video is a great illustration of why you have to be accurate in inches. Ultimately, the bad guy was shot at point blank range so accuracy didn't matter at all. But they were extremely lucky that they had that shot to take. If that were your kid, would you want to wait until you had negotiated a chance to make a point blank shot, or would you want to put a bullet in his brain as soon as you saw him?

Look at the way the bad guy holds the kid. That's a matter of hitting a playing card at 12ish feet under crazy pressure. It's not a difficult shot, in itself, but if you add the pressure of the situation and the fact that most people have no idea what their holdovers/unders are at 3-7 yards and that shot gets a lot tougher.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No such thing as to much accuracy IMHO.

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Blue makes an excellent point about knowing precisely where your pistol shoots up close, using the loads you carry in it. If you're serious about preparedness, you prepare for the worst case- not the best or 'average' one. Murphy will not only show up at these events, the thumb itch will bring a five piece band and a twelve girl chorus line.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,865 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,797
Posts18,477,411
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.