Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
If you were selling your entire collection in one sale, how much would you expect to discount the value from retail?

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
As little as possible

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Crap. I posted this in the wrong section.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Why do you expect a discount???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Joseywales
If you were selling your entire collection in one sale, how much would you expect to discount the value from retail?

20-30%

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Collection of........?

Black Cows Matter!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What about shipping,do I get a Senior Citizens discount,

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
25-50% depending on the quality and homogeneity of the collection. If all high end, high dollar, high demand pieces then on the lower end of the scale. The value of the collection would decrease from there. Alternatively, a very focused collection of highly valued rare pieces could be sold at a premium assuming there were several buyers interested in keeping it all together. Are you buying or selling?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Not selling yet. Thinking ahead for my wife/estate, way ahead I hope. I'm a hunter/shooter, so never bought for collectible value, but some have that status now, due to age, condition, etc.

If left to my estate, they'd probably be bought by a dealer and there's a bigger loss there. Was just curious.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Joseywales
I'm a hunter/shooter, so never bought for collectible value, but some have that status now, due to age, condition, etc.

I'd cull the primo stuff from the herd now and make specific plans for it. If you have a mixed bag of collectable and everyday pieces, you're going to take a pounding on the value of the lot. People will go after the desirable stuff and give the rest almost no value.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Yeah. I'm thinking a table at the gunshow for the long guns. Handguns is "messier". I've sold some GB over the years, but shipping can be a pain.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sell them here easy peasy no commission and likely somebody that will appreciate it

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
toa Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You have already come to realize that after you're gone, the collection is more than likely not going to go for what it's worth.
Now here's a suggestion, start selling them, for what they are worth.
You and your wife, take that income and do the things you two have talked about doing, but have not done.
Whatever that may be, travel, home remodel etc.
Can't take them with you...enjoy the time you have. They are in the end, just guns.

Just my $.02 and, well you get what you've paid for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The easiest way would be to send them to Rock Island Auction in Rock Island Illinois. They put them up on auction through out the year and get a fair price sometimes more than I expect. They charge about 20%
http://www.rockislandauction.com/

NRA Life Member. Illinois Rifle Assoc Life Member, USN,
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by toa
You have already come to realize that after you're gone, the collection is more than likely not going to go for what it's worth...

They'll probably go to the wife's new boyfriend, anyway. smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tell her to Auction it off

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by pal
They'll probably go to the wife's new boyfriend, anyway. smile

Ouch

C
C
Well guns are a horrible investment. Except for a very few exceptions guns made in the last 75yrs do not appreciate in time adjusted value. For instance a gun that cost a weeks pay in 1955 is still worth about a weeks pay today.

Unless your stuff is highly desirable pre 1900 winchester rifles, NIB Colt Pythons, documented celebrity owned etc etc etc I would start selling now and use the money. When you are gone it will be sold for less by people who simply don't care if a gun brings $1000 or $700.

I guess if you have a bunch of museum quality 1 of a kind firearms you can ignore my post.

Last edited by Cleatus; 02/14/16.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Joseywales,

I will throw out a couple of possibilities:
If they are high-end collectibles, civil war era, militaria, or stuff like Pythons, James Julia Auctions specializes in guns and other collectibles. They are in Maine, but travel all over the country, too.
Their home page: http://jamesdjulia.com/division/gun/

You can get an idea of the quality of merchandise by looking at these lists for the next auction there.
Their current listing for an auction March 14 & 15 - part one - 759 items:
http://jamesdjulia.com/auction/391-spectacular-auction-of-quality-arms/?session=1

The listing for the second lot - 687 items so far:
http://jamesdjulia.com/auction/391-spectacular-auction-of-quality-arms/?session=2

Otherwise, for single guns, this forum, Ruger, etc. and the gun shows or Gunbroker (better than any of the others, IMO) in spite of their warts.

Other auction options include Rock Island as suggested by raamw, or one that I have followed somewhat to see the quality of their merchandise and the prices they get:

Gunrunnerauctions.com, in Burton, Ohio (south east of Cleveland)
They seem to auction about 200 every month, and they will take a collection and sell it as they get to it. They get some really nice collectible and high-end guns, and get some pretty good prices for them.

I would suggest watching the auctions on Gunrunner and maybe Rock Island to track the quality and pricing for a while.

Myron

Edit to add:
The LAST thing I would do is bundle them up and take them to your local friendly gun store. This is a sure way to get the least out of them.

Last edited by speedsixman; 02/16/16.

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Tell her to Auction it off

This, if you have many, a local auction will almost assuredly get the most money for them. Some will bring more than they are worth and a couple may bring less. Almost certainly the aggregate will be higher.

If your collection is 10 guns, I wouldn't bother with it and just ask a friend to help her sell them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 32 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,253
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.