Campfire Regular
W
What a magnificent German Shorthair Pointer! very best WinPoor

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Conformation and probably little else runs thru that Dogs veins. He was bread to look good, hunting ability was secondary. Little more than a caricature of the breeds original purpose.

The show Dog circuit has ruined more than one Sporting breed, and this is the Gun Dog forum not the show Dog forum. Different worlds and it makes little difference if the animal falls into the Sporting Dog grouping.

Last edited by battue; 02/17/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have no idea if that dog can hunt or not, but he is beautiful animal.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There certainly seems to be those breeds that have been breed to show, and those within the breed that were breed for their original purpose. I have a Black Russian Terrier, she is from stock that was more centered on their original purpose, The Red Army's guard dog. However if I choose to show her I believe that she would do well. The BRT has not been breed out in the US yet. Each one is unique to it's self.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This is what the Westminster Kennel thinks an English Springer Spaniel-a hunting group dog-should look like. It's their standard.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
Conformation and probably little else runs thru that Dogs veins. He was bread to look good, hunting ability was secondary. Little more than a caricature of the breeds original purpose.

Yep.....there's no faster way to ruin a hunting breed than for one of em to win the Westminster....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, the wife saw an add for a "free to a good home" dog. "A pure breed" English Springer Spaniel. She grew up with them so I said OK. That dog was the most moronic unstable beast I have ever had. She looked just like the one that won Westminster that year. I did find her a good home, an older couple that was home all day. Separation anxiety from hell, she could get through any kind of crate. Did not play well with any other dog as well. Kind of burned me on a dog other than a puppy.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Westminster Kennel wouldn't allow a great hunting Springer in the arena. He would bang all the bitches, go find a Pheasant, retrieve it to hand then lift his leg on a judge for trying to ruin his purpose in life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
Westminster Kennel wouldn't allow a great hunting Springer in the arena. He would bang all the bitches, go find a Pheasant, retrieve it to hand then lift his leg on a judge for trying to ruin his purpose in life and then go to the pub for a pint of stout.

grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You win.... smile

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in the 1950's my dad had a wirehaired pointing griffon that won Best of Breed at Westminster.

The dog, George, was also a field trial winner. The dog had it all, looks, brains, instinct.

All dogs will hunt to some extent. I bet in the right hands that shorthair would make a decent field dog.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The 50's are a half century gone. The standard has evolved even further into defined conformation being what the judges grade on. That Dog didn't even have to point a dead Fox to win its race.

Today's hunting standard is to avoid show blood linage and there is no reason not to with all of today's great bloodlines. I would rather take my chances on two known ability non-registered hunters than one out of predominantly show stock and the odds would be in my favor.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You got my point. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, I bet he at least has a nice lope. But I wouldn't risk any more. On top of that he is behind the curve. Like kids, Dogs learn when their brains suck up clues like a sponge. There was a time I could have been fluent in Russian. Now it is to late.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I cannot watch a dog on TV nor a photo and tell if he can hunt any more that I can look at a photo of a pre 64 mod 70 and tell if it will shoot an inch or less.... BUT Ive never had one that would not! I would like to hide a Bobwhite out back in the broomsage and take him for a walk, for some reason I think he would lock up on point BUT probably go ape
$hit when the 410 went off! LOL v best winpoor

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bud's wife has a Bijon that will point birds in the yard. Locks-up pretty as you please and holds. Don't think he will amount to much in the field.

Have seen some train Dogs on planted Birds and they point them real nice also. When they get about 2 feet away from the plant.

Pre-64's were bread to shoot and hunt. wink

Last edited by battue; 02/18/16.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never met a GSP that wouldn't hunt.

Have met a few that needed convincing to hunt with you, however.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have a Dog close by right now, that will hunt his heart down to a flutter every time you put him down. We've shot more than a few Birds in our time together. He isn't what you would call great and he came out of great blood. He has more try than a great nose which kinda makes up for it. But put him down with a great Dog and he is playing catch-up.

I've made it a point to put him into a lot of Birds and that is why we have shot more than a few. The great ones find you a Bird when there are few around.

It's always a crap shoot. You up your odds when you stay away from the show lines. As always there are exceptions, but that is what they are.

Last edited by battue; 02/18/16.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have no doubt CJ will hunt and look great doing it. Here's my pup at 10 weeks sired by a dog from VJK MYST

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Paul4; 02/21/16.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Here he is a 10 months

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, Amos63, 9 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,328
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.