Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Too long to post here, but worth a read if you have the time:

http://www.chron.com/sports/outdoors/article/Texas-losing-war-on-feral-hogs-4685490.php

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
They are even in west Texas now. From the desert in the West to the lowland swamps in the east.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
From the article:

Just to stabilize Texas' feral hog population would require removing about 70 percent of the population over a single year and continuing that level of population reduction for multiple years, Bodenchuk said.

"Right now," he said, "we're not even taking half that number."

True statement.

Pretty disturbing. But that ratio fits anywhere there are feral hogs.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The TV shouldn't have canceled American Hoggers.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

While I'd catch that show occasionally for laughs, and am even friends with one of permanent cast members, it was only entertainment... smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
But go try and hunt some and the hand comes out demanding money.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't the outfitters actually charge folks to come out there and kill these pests? It seems like there ought to be some give and take by the property owners. If they really want to get rid of these things, why not give people more access to the pigs? Cut the prices to hunt on private property out there way back, and you'll get more hunters looking to help with the problem. Seems like a win/win. They could see reductions in the pig numbers, and still generate modest trespass fees to let others hunt.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hunting isn't going solve anything.

In fact, it can make hogs go nocturnal.

The only proven way to significantly reduce population is by catching the entire sounder with a large trapping system, or to snare in areas that have net wire fences where hogs continually traverse.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

While I'd catch that show occasionally for laughs, and am even friends with one of permanent cast members, it was only entertainment... smile
Please don't tell me Mountain Monsters ain't real.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I've got a friend in the hill country who owns several thousand acres. Every time I go see him we have a blast chasing and killing hogs on his place but the population continues to grow. He's constantly bombarded by request from people to "help" him control them. He's not opposed to folks hunting his land but he's afraid someone will get hurt and sue him.

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 02/17/16.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
They're not losing it bad enough or they wouldn't charge so much for hunters to come kill them.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Indeed. FWIW, there is a significant financial incentive for motivated land owners to do so. I know one rancher near Llano who is making almost as much money off feral hogs as he is off his cattle.

He traps them using one of those falling corral gizmos, shoots the old and young, then loads the weaner size pigs into his 5th wheel and hauls them to the slaughterhouse. They get slaughtered per FDA regs, and he sells the meat in farmer's markets in the Austin area for top dollar as Organic Free Range Pork.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The take away is that Texas cannot hunt its way out of this problem. Blaming landowners for trying to compensate for some of the financial damage that hogs inflict on their property is pointless and unfair.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't have any sympathy for them if they won't allow hunting for free or for a very minimal price. The argument that they might get sued doesn't hold much water because they can easily purchase liability insurance if they don't already have it (just like virtually every hunting club). Additionally, in most states, the duties of a landowner who is allows access to property for free is to advise of known risks. I don't buy the argument that they can't allow hunting for free for fear of injuries.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Luckily Idaho so far has only 1 very small population of them. They were illegally planted here about 8 or 10 years ago and so far haven't spread. The IDFG wants them gone but as you all know, that's not easy.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Indeed. FWIW, there is a significant financial incentive for motivated land owners to do so. I know one rancher near Llano who is making almost as much money off feral hogs as he is off his cattle.

He traps them using one of those falling corral gizmos, shoots the old and young, then loads the weaner size pigs into his 5th wheel and hauls them to the slaughterhouse. They get slaughtered per FDA regs, and he sells the meat in farmer's markets in the Austin area for top dollar as Organic Free Range Pork.
In the olden days hogs ranged free and were rounded up and driven to market, just like cows.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I don't have any sympathy for them if they won't allow hunting for free or for a very minimal price. The argument that they might get sued doesn't hold much water because they can easily purchase liability insurance if they don't already have it (just like virtually every hunting club). Additionally, in most states, the duties of a landowner who is allows access to property for free is to advise of known risks. I don't buy the argument that they can't allow hunting for free for fear of injuries.

I doesn't matter if you buy it or not or if they take all the precautions you listed or not. Who in the hell wants to get drug to court every time some clown sprains their leg and runs off to hire some ambulance chasing lawyer. Even if you win every case you lose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
North Arkansas eliminated them back in he early 50's when free range was canceled. They have come back in some area's from people turning them loose, for one reason or another. South Arkansas did not ever eliminate them as far as I know, most likely from the huge amount of paper company land. You can get rid of them by trapping and hunting if the incentive is enough. My opinion only. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have any sympathy for them if they won't allow hunting for free or for a very minimal price.

Why should they allow hunting for free ? If they have lost money from the damage done by feral hogs then they may as well make money from feral hog hunts on their property.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Was someone asking for sympathy?

You may want to brush up on your liability laws as well. A simple release of liability does not stop anyone from getting sued.

As has been stated by many folks, hunting isn't putting a dent in feral hogs.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (35WhelenNut, 7mm_Loco, 673, 264mag, 44automag, 450yukon, 18 invisible), 1,011 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,888
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.