Hop To
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I don't have any sympathy for them if they won't allow hunting for free or for a very minimal price. The argument that they might get sued doesn't hold much water because they can easily purchase liability insurance if they don't already have it (just like virtually every hunting club). Additionally, in most states, the duties of a landowner who is allows access to property for free is to advise of known risks. I don't buy the argument that they can't allow hunting for free for fear of injuries.

I doesn't matter if you buy it or not or if they take all the precautions you listed or not. Who in the hell wants to get drug to court every time some clown sprains their leg and runs off to hire some ambulance chasing lawyer. Even if you win every case you lose.

Well, this isn't a problem for any other species of hunting, not in any widespread degree. What's so different about hog hunting???

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't have any sympathy for them if they won't allow hunting for free or for a very minimal price. The argument that they might get sued doesn't hold much water because they can easily purchase liability insurance if they don't already have it (just like virtually every hunting club). Additionally, in most states, the duties of a landowner who is allows access to property for free is to advise of known risks. I don't buy the argument that they can't allow hunting for free for fear of injuries.

Why should I buy liability insurance so you can come hunt? Even with insurance I could still get drug into court. Just FYI, I allow any local people to come hunt hogs and varmits for free. All they have to do is ask. We don't have a lot of hogs but there are still too many coyotes.

Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This last drought did a number on the hog population around here as well as all the wildlife. Since it was broken [sort of] last year the hogs are rebounding.

Sport hunting doesn't make a dent in the hog population. They are just too smart. I could probably leave the house right now and kill a hog before lunch in a pasture belonging to the kids. But it would be 2 or 3 weeks before I could expect to do it again.

They would move to a different layup spot in another pasture.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Well, this isn't a problem for any other species of hunting, not in any widespread degree. What's so different about hog hunting???

The difference is money.

You can charge more for deer hunting leases and compensate for the cost of blanket liability insurance.

Hog hunting usually doesn't bring in that type of money.

Also, on private property where the hunting rights are leased, the people leasing the hunting usually have exclusive rights to hunt that property. That means the rancher can't just have a line of hunters running in and out for his own financial gain.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by curdog4570
This last drought did a number on the hog population around here as well as all the wildlife. Since it was broken [sort of] last year the hogs are rebounding.

Sport hunting doesn't make a dent in the hog population. They are just too smart. I could probably leave the house right now and kill a hog before lunch in a pasture belonging to the kids. But it would be 2 or 3 weeks before I could expect to do it again.

They would move to a different layup spot in another pasture.
Hogs are smart.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Feral hogs are like congress. Ours are kept under control but the stupid MFs in other places can't control theirs. Then their problems become our problems.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
here in Florida, there is a big problem with hogs also. One of the reasons, is that on WMA land, State Forests (of which there are many), and National Forests, you can't hunt hogs if it is not hunting season. Most of the year, they breed unmolested. They migrate from there to private land. There they can be hunted any time of the year, but they have a safety valve in being able to just go back to public land.
The State won't conduct private hunts, or let professionals come in and kill them.
Here in Gainesville, a large State Park, San Felasco, is over run with hogs. The anti hunters and greenies blame hunters for driving them onto the State park.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Feral hogs are like congress. Ours are kept under control but the stupid MFs in other places can't control theirs. Then their problems become our problems.

grin laugh

You get a gold star today!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

grin laugh

Two gold stars. grin

Last edited by DocRocket; 02/17/16.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Texas must ave too many fruckin lawyers , if getting sued by hunters on your property is such a great problem

virtually no one charges for hunting in these parts , and I have yet to hear of a landowner actually getting sued by a hunter.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
Texas must ave too many fruckin lawyers , if getting sued by hunters on your property is such a great problem

virtually no one charges for hunting in these parts , and I have yet to hear of a landowner actually getting sued by a hunter.....

Do you open up all of your land to let anyone that wants to go hunt on it?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Another big problem is all the deer feeders out there. All that extra nutrition allows them to squeeze out another litter or two every year.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I doesn't matter if you buy it or not or if they take all the precautions you listed or not. Who in the hell wants to get drug to court every time some clown sprains their leg and runs off to hire some ambulance chasing lawyer. Even if you win every case you lose.

In this country, anybody can sue anybody for any reason, then your left defending yourself. This is a prime example of why we need tort reform and why a landowner doesn't want strangers on his property..

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger

I would have sworn I paid to hunt pheasants in your state. And saw signs indicating that quite a few landowners wanted paying hunters.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Nebraska law limits landowner liability so long as the owner is not charging money to use the land for recreational purposes.

Nebraska Recreational Use Statute

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

If you don't follow lawsuits in regards to this and don't own property you just don't understand.

We lease a parcel from a LARGE landowner in the hill country.

one of his other lease holders built a blind. And let it rot... crawled up in it with his son, ladder broke, kid broke his leg. Even though EVERYONE hunting there signed a release and the landowner has a large policy in effect( an attorney to boot) he was sued.

I"d be embarrassed to even think to sue for my stupidity or ANYTHING that happens to me on anothers land basically.

Slidell mentions they can buy liability... how do you PAY for liability policy unless you charge?

We carry a million cap on our own property and thats not enough, but we dont' have pigs nothing to lease out for etc... which means if you ask to fish or hunt on ours, or if I invite you, i'm extremely picky about who I chance, and even then I"ve already paid for my property, my annual property taxes, and an insurance policy to let you on for free..... I see why folks charge. Totally.

I'm "lucky" that I have access to some property that needs pigs shot... and the lady even asked what I would charge...LOL, friends help friends... I have NEVER seen a pig during the day. Only at night. She has seen pigs in the last 20 years twice during the day...

Right now I had shot about half the sounder... but its back up to about 25, but NO clue as to when they come anymore... can be days before they show up...

And as duly noted, if sued, even if you win, you loose.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Not to mention the majority that would show up to hunt for FREE would have Yankee plates their vehicles. Who the hell wants that.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

grin laugh

Two gold stars. grin

Three gold stars !! Maybe the best quote on the Fire. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
you were likely in central SD and it is true pheasant hunting is a big money game there.....still dont hear of anyone getting sued

I am speaking of my own locality , the NE is a good mixed bag area for waterfowl , deer , yotes , and some years pheasant

and pay hunting is the exception to the rule

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 10Glocks, 338reddog, 35, 35WhelenNut, 11 invisible), 860 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,901
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.