Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Paying to shoot pest is like paying to plow snow in someone's parking lot.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I don't have any sympathy for them if they won't allow hunting for free or for a very minimal price. The argument that they might get sued doesn't hold much water because they can easily purchase liability insurance if they don't already have it (just like virtually every hunting club). Additionally, in most states, the duties of a landowner who is allows access to property for free is to advise of known risks. I don't buy the argument that they can't allow hunting for free for fear of injuries.

I doesn't matter if you buy it or not or if they take all the precautions you listed or not. Who in the hell wants to get drug to court every time some clown sprains their leg and runs off to hire some ambulance chasing lawyer. Even if you win every case you lose.

In this country, anybody can sue anybody for any reason, then your left defending yourself. This is a prime example of why we need tort reform and why a landowner doesn't want strangers on his property..

Absolutely. Unfortunately we now live in a Society where everything is always "Someone else's Fault". There is very little "Self Responsibility" anymore. Just try to afford Insurance after it happens just one time. I have to deal with this reality daily on my property.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
Texas must ave too many fruckin lawyers , if getting sued by hunters on your property is such a great problem

virtually no one charges for hunting in these parts , and I have yet to hear of a landowner actually getting sued by a hunter.....

I would have sworn I paid to hunt pheasants in your state. And saw signs indicating that quite a few landowners wanted paying hunters.

===========

And hefty prices, too.

As to the topic, when did the 24H crew become soured to capitalism? If a Texas landowner or any other landowner can market hunts and he then easily secures those willing to pay for those hunts; the more power to him.

The hunters determine the FMV for the hunts, not the landowners.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
you were likely in central SD and it is true pheasant hunting is a big money game there.....still dont hear of anyone getting sued

I am speaking of my own locality , the NE is a good mixed bag area for waterfowl , deer , yotes , and some years pheasant

and pay hunting is the exception to the rule

Sweet, can I come hunt your land next fall?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JP_Lucas
They're not losing it bad enough or they wouldn't charge so much for hunters to come kill them.
. Exactly! I have friends and family in Texas. I ask about hogs and they says yeah there are hogs. Then I start asking who has shot one and how many. Everything goes silent. I would love to hunt some but it's expensive. I would say the hog deal is over blown and somewhat of a myth

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I'm not naming anyone. But I know a lot of ranchers who let other folks hunt the hogs on their places for FREE!!!!! And they are generally INVITED to do so. And many times the hunters are told they may bring a trusted friend.

But what always rubbed me the wrong way was when folks you barely knew would come up and "offer their services" to help you with your "problem"..... Happened to me at least once a week at the shop. Instead of asking "do you know anyone who might be interested in some hog hunters, we'd be glad to pay?" It was generally the former.

And yes there were the rare individual who would ask the latter. And they owould generally find a place. And ranchers generally received them quite well. And they were treated fairly by the landowner.

I don't think it as much of a case of liability (which can be an issue) as it is a case of a landowner gettng burned by individuals with little or no hunting ethics. And it generally takes at least one hunt to vet folks. Sometimes that can be costly for the rancher.

Many just don't want to take that risk.

And there are a lot of folks out there that think ALL ranchers have "ranch hands and wets" working for them. Which is Total BS. Usually just a one man operation.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Texas must ave too many fruckin lawyers , if getting sued by hunters on your property is such a great problem

virtually no one charges for hunting in these parts , and I have yet to hear of a landowner actually getting sued by a hunter.....

Do you open up all of your land to let anyone that wants to go hunt on it?

I let quite a few folks hunt , in comparison to the amount of acres I own...hell it hardly makes a difference as trespassers run roughshod over the place if you aint watching every second

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tannerite will do it grin or maybe turn a bunch of jaguars loose? grin

I think Birdwatcher found some historical references from the 1800's, where even then, people were complaining about too many hogs. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac

As to the topic, when did the 24H crew become soured to capitalism?

Lately, it appears Capitalism, free speech, and civil liberties in general are taking a hit, here.

Sieg Heil, my man....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nobody has a problem with a profit it's just hard to understand the mindset of "I have a pest problem come here and pay me to help with it" if you're not used to it.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
you were likely in central SD and it is true pheasant hunting is a big money game there.....still dont hear of anyone getting sued

I am speaking of my own locality , the NE is a good mixed bag area for waterfowl , deer , yotes , and some years pheasant

I don't know , are you going to sue me ?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You mean like:

Individual rights trump all. I think the government killed Scalia. I don't care if the family thinks nothing is wrong, the government, that I don't trust, should do an autopsy.

Government that I don't trust steps over the family's wishes (I'm for family's wishes, unless I'm not). They (government) find no foul play. Since I don't trust the government, and think they had him killed, they obviously 'doctored' the autopsy results to fit their agenda.

Now I'm pissed because the government stepped over the family's wishes, just so they could provide us with some make believe report.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
RWE, how close are the hogs to you in N.C.? I've hunted them near the S.C. border in N.C.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

It depends, do you have liability insurance?

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raeford
RWE, how close are the hogs to you in N.C.? I've hunted them near the S.C. border in N.C.

I've heard reports in neighboring counties, but have yet to see one, nor see any damage caused by them on our property.

And as far as the reports go, I've yet to see a photo attached to any of them.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I hunted them north of Wadesboro. They were definitely doing some damage there.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter

What if the owner of the private parking lot doesn't want you to plow it?

You get mad when he says "No"?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

No,but I might ask wtf if he got stuck in the snow and bitched about it later in the day.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

No,but I might ask wtf if he got stuck in the snow and bitched about it later in the day.

I doubt he'd call you to bitch.

BTW... What part of "Hunting isn't putting a dent in the feral hog problem" do some of you not get?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

It depends, do you have liability insurance?

sure.....you need liablity whether you let hunters in or not.....does that mean youre going to sue ?

Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (35, 79S, 6mmbrfan, 35WhelenNut, 673, 264mag, 16 invisible), 962 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,890
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.