D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
The phone in question is a government phone. The FBI can (and most likely already has) get a list of contacts from the cellular service provider.

I understand that...I don't have a smart phone & I'm technologically ignorant about what data they can retrieve via phone records...that said, can these records the provider has show websites visited, posts on websites or emails sent?

Do dead terrorists really have civil rights protections?

This is not about the civil rights of a dead terrorist. It's about the civil rights of everyone with an Apple device. As I understand it,the government isn't just demanding the information on this one phone.They are demanding a way to access information on every Apple phone.

So, you are agreeing that if the 9/11 terrorists used Apple products, you'd support their right to privacy? I wonder if the families of the 3,000+ victims would agree?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Are you dense? It's not about the terrorists rights. It's about yours and mine.
Once the program is created, they can use it on anyone's phone.
Even if the gov't could keep the program from getting into the wrong hands, which is doubtful, China, or whoever else gets their hands on it, it will get out there in the "wild"

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by djs
e]

So, you are agreeing that if the 9/11 terrorists used Apple products, you'd support their right to privacy? I wonder if the families of the 3,000+ victims would agree?

Hmmm...I haven't been paying attention, but I kinda wonder how many Trump supporters that agreed with him about George Bush not protecting America on 9/11 also agree with Apples decision not to help...kind of a conundrum huh???

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Am I the only one that sees the irony of Tim Cook refusing back door access?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by djs

Sooo many cowards trying to trade a little bit of freedom.....if it will save just one life.....it's for the children...if you have nothing to hide...

I would rather we as nation suffer an attack of the scale of September 11th every month than than suffer the the death of freedom. Freedom is a dim glow mostly in our past at this point but cowards are rushing to extinguish even that little glow.
Tim Cook and I would disagree on just about everything but he's right in this and he's not a complete coward and a surrender monkey. If you support the government in this then you are the people who Ben Franklin was writing.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
The phone in question is a government phone. The FBI can (and most likely already has) get a list of contacts from the cellular service provider.

I understand that...I don't have a smart phone & I'm technologically ignorant about what data they can retrieve via phone records...that said, can these records the provider has show websites visited, posts on websites or emails sent?

Do dead terrorists really have civil rights protections?

This is not about the civil rights of a dead terrorist. It's about the civil rights of everyone with an Apple device. As I understand it,the government isn't just demanding the information on this one phone.They are demanding a way to access information on every Apple phone.

Not at all but the feds don't just want into that particular phone. They want Apple to redesign less secure so they can easily defeat the security on any of their phones.

It's not a case of not letting the feds into a terrorist house to search.It's as if they wanted a key to every house so they could search anytime they wanted.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 02/18/16.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If I understand what I've read about this iPhone issue with Apple, they are asking Apple to unlock the phone to retrieve data from two terrorists who had possession of the phone. The phone belongs to the terrorist's employer and they are ok with it. The Feds belief the data wipe feature is turned on and will destroy the data after 10 attempts to unlock phone, thus asking for Apple's help. I don't personally see a problem with this.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
The FBI are asking for a back door into the phone bypassing the lock code. Also there's a code to unlock the key code that encrypts the data on the phone which they'd have to aquire. Otherwise they would have encrypted data with no means of decryption.

Once the FBI had the back door they could access anyone's else's phone without any constraints.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Odie, appreciate the very civil reply and explanation with Apple and this iPhone. I'm not very modern in my understanding of all things technical in this new computer age. I was at the apple store having my phone checked out last week and just seeing what a bunch of kid's could do with my phone was a bit eye opening for an old man. If they can do what they where doing with my phone, I can't believe they can't or aren't already doing what the Fed's want already anyway. I'm not sure I would trust apple anymore than the Fed's for that matter. The Fed's can pretty much get any and all files, paperwork, records they want with a court issued subpoena, not sure what would be different with encrypted phone data.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
This should scare anyone who values whatever privacy we have left.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It's the Information Age folks....

Even the DNR "asks" you if they can share "your information"... When they say can I let other people contact you...

When you go to a website and they play advertisements based on what you google.... WTF...

OK HINT....

Google Victoria's Secret, and lingerie and the see what kind of ad's you get played even here on 24hr campfire...

I say use it to your benefit - Google lingerie every time you get on the net and enjoy the ride...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Odie_54
The FBI are asking for a back door into the phone bypassing the lock code. Also there's a code to unlock the key code that encrypts the data on the phone which they'd have to aquire. Otherwise they would have encrypted data with no means of decryption.

Once the FBI had the back door they could access anyone's else's phone without any constraints.

So in other words, they need physical possession of the phone and would need physical possession of any other phone where they wanted to decrypt the content...& unless a person gives them permission, they'd need a search warrant...

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
If the files weren't saved to icloud then yes you need the phone and the four digit unlock code. If the files in the phone are encrypted then you also need the eight digit (plus) passcode.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by djs
I wonder if the San Bernadino attack had occurred at Apple's headquarters and a couple of dozen Apple employees were the victims and that additional attacks (on Apple employees) were planned, would Tim Cook still wave the "customer privacy" flag?

Perhaps.

Either that or they would be asking why TF is a government importing criminals to blow up people asking to erode freedoms, violating the law, oaths and spending money to bring on crime unabated. To make an awesome clean up crew?

I'm sure if the local city council dropped a few dozen MS-13 members into the local trailer park I'm sure no one would question what the local PD would have to do to "fix" the ensuing problems....

Jesus.

Create the problem to create the "solution"; apparently its working.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by djs
I wonder if the San Bernadino attack had occurred at Apple's headquarters and a couple of dozen Apple employees were the victims and that additional attacks (on Apple employees) were planned, would Tim Cook still wave the "customer privacy" flag?

Perhaps.

Either that or they would be asking why TF is a government importing criminals to blow up people asking to erode freedoms, violating the law, oaths and spending money to bring on crime unabated. To make an awesome clean up crew?

I'm sure if the local city council dropped a few dozen MS-13 members into the local trailer park I'm sure no one would question what the local PD would have to do to "fix" the ensuing problems....

Jesus.

Create the problem to create the "solution"; apparently its working.

This ^^^

Someone is awake here. We are being played, We have been played for a good many years now. History and the true order of "Cause and effect" events and actions that lead up to where we are now is what they are not teaching in School.

Truth is we started the whole Middle East conflict for Private Oil Companies in the first place. The U.S. and England threw the first blow out of pure greed that has now Snowballed into the Radical Extremist situation we are in now.

Not to Defend but we really did stick our nose where it did not belong in 1953. The results of this action has been milked and milked ever since to gain more power over the People. We are being taken as fools and most are inept enough to let it happen.

It's not at all about Safety it's about Money. Nothing Sells Product and Services better than Fear and when Business slows down more Fear must be created to get sales back up again. It's deceptive high pressure Salesmanship at it's best.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Odie_54
If the files weren't saved to icloud then yes you need the phone and the four digit unlock code. If the files in the phone are encrypted then you also need the eight digit (plus) passcode.

So what's the problem??? I thought the govt. already had a site where they were collecting and storing data...wasn't it in Utah???
Isn't that what all the stink about Edward Snowden was all about?

If the data they're trying to retrieve is ONLY in the phone in question & the only way to unlock that phone is by having physical possession of it, what's the problem???

Lets say hillarys phone was an apple...what then??? Would everybody still think she had the right to privacy???

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TBREW401
This should scare anyone who values whatever privacy we have left.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sheeittt...just stay at a Holiday Inn & watch re runs of mission impossible, you'll be fine...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trump is an idiot, he either doesn't understand the can of worms he's trying to open, or he's just another evil POS who doesn't care.

This whole thing isn't about ONE phone, once that phone is cracked (regardless of how they do it), that means the FBI will now have access to any phone it wants in the world.

You'd have to be quite the puzzy to give up your personal privacy because you're afraid of terrorists.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
You'd have to be quite the puzzy to give up your personal privacy because you're afraid of terrorists.

Hell yeah!

Next thing you know, people will want the goobermint overseeing control of the internet.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 257 roberts, 1minute, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,686
Posts18,494,041
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.