Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The phone in question is a government phone. The FBI can (and most likely already has) get a list of contacts from the cellular service provider.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Apple has already "opened" over seventy other phones for LE agencies prior to this. All apple has to do is take the phone, crack the code, mine the data and give it to the FBI. Lose the tinfoil...

If that was the request, Apple would do so. That's not the request. The FBI wants the info on how to "open" the Apple devices, crack the code, and mine the data. Big, big difference.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by 4ager
Apple has already "opened" over seventy other phones for LE agencies prior to this. All apple has to do is take the phone, crack the code, mine the data and give it to the FBI. Lose the tinfoil...

If that was the request, Apple would do so. That's not the request. The FBI wants the info on how to "open" the Apple devices, crack the code, and mine the data. Big, big difference.

My understanding is that if you enter the wrong four digit code more than ten times in a short (computer generated) timeframe the device will erase all stored data. The FBI wants to turn off that function so they can crack the lock code.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
The phone in question is a government phone. The FBI can (and most likely already has) get a list of contacts from the cellular service provider.

I understand that...I don't have a smart phone & I'm technologically ignorant about what data they can retrieve via phone records...that said, can these records the provider has show websites visited, posts on websites or emails sent?

Do dead terrorists really have civil rights protections?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Odie_54

My understanding is that if you enter the wrong four digit code more than ten times in a short (computer generated) timeframe the device will erase all stored data. The FBI wants to turn off that function so they can crack the lock code.

Apple phones do not erase data. What they do, is they've built in incremental pauses of 1, 5, 15 minutes, 1 hour, etc, which defeats the code program. Sean you are correct, I suspect they will reach a compromise as they've done this over 70 times previously.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
From instruction manual...

You'll find several settings and options:
Turn Passcode Off.
Change your passcode. Enter a new, six-digit passcode. Or tap Passcode Options to switch to a four-digit numeric code, a custom numeric code, or a custom alphanumeric code.
Require Passcode—Immediately: By default, as soon as you lock your screen, you'll need to enter your passcode to unlock it. If you don't want to need your passcode immediately, change this setting.
Allow Access When Locked: Allow access to some features when your device is locked, including Notifications View, Siri, and Control Center.
Erase Data: Choose whether to erase your device automatically after ten failed passcode attempts.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

COrrect...Apple will have to create an algorithmn to crack the four digit code . They can then access the data within the phone. internet sites visited,messages, text etc etc. If our government gets the program everyone will have it in a matter of days.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Turn Passcode Off.
Change your passcode. Enter a new, six-digit passcode. Or tap Passcode Options to switch to a four-digit numeric code, a custom numeric code, or a custom alphanumeric code.
Require Passcode—Immediately: By default, as soon as you lock your screen, you'll need to enter your passcode to unlock it. If you don't want to need your passcode immediately, change this setting.
Allow Access When Locked: Allow access to some features when your device is locked, including Notifications View, Siri, and Control Center.
Erase Data: [b]Choose whether to erase your device automatically after ten failed passcode attempts.[/B]

For an I-Phone five or six?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Turn Passcode Off.
Erase Data: [b]Choose whether to erase your device automatically after ten failed passcode attempts.[/B]

For an I-Phone five or six?

Yes, both..

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, choose, otherwise the default is as I described (that I obtained from listening to Rush. If that is the case, the program that attacks the phone by constantly inputting permutations, would not work after ten tries

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

I understand that...I don't have a smart phone & I'm technologically ignorant about what data they can retrieve via phone records...that said, can these records the provider has show websites visited, posts on websites or emails sent?

Do dead terrorists really have civil rights protections?

This is not about the civil rights of a dead terrorist. It's about the civil rights of everyone with an Apple device. As I understand it,the government isn't just demanding the information on this one phone.They are demanding a way to access information on every Apple phone.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

This is not about the civil rights of a dead terrorist. It's about the civil rights of everyone with an Apple device. As I understand it,the government isn't just demanding the information on this one phone.They are demanding a way to access information on every Apple phone.

They'd be a busybunchofmotherfuckers trying to unlock & retrieve all that data...wouldn't they have to have physical possession of the phone???

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

They'd be a busybunchofmotherfuckers trying to unlock & retrieve all that data...wouldn't they have to have physical possession of the phone???

iphone data is backed up on icloud. Depends on the user to what they choose to backup (photos, music, contacts, documents...). Once you have their code you can also access their cloud.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Raeford

What really hits me about this damned situation: We The People have lost ALL FAITH AND TRUST in OUR GOVERNMENT!
No[actually hell no]I'm not a conspiracy theorist as I know it's an impossibility that all of the .gov could never get on the same page to conspire, but some alphabet agencies have proven that they can't handle having the power.

I absolutely agree, it is a sad state of affairs that there is actually reason for folks to now feel this way, myself included. But we should never be forced into allowing them to look into our Underwear Drawer any time they like. The verbiage of "If you have nothing to hide..." should not go so far as to allow access to everyone's Underwear Drawer Stains or not. There has got to be a limit to it or we are no longer a Free Society.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

iphone data is backed up on icloud. Depends on the user to what they choose to backup (photos, music, contacts, documents...). Once you have their code you can also access their cloud.

It is my understanding that the phones simply store digitized (encrypted) links which are the hooks that access digital data stored elsewhere (encrypted), that the phones themselves can't actually be mined. Listening to Rush this morning, he described how even your fingerprint (password override) is never 'photographed', but is rather, converted into digital code. (Which may or may not be another way of calling it a digital photo, I don't know.) I only know enough about this stuff to know that what the Whitehouse is putting out is ignorant nonsense, either because they are ignorant, or because they want us to believe this is nothing more than 'picking the lock' and opening the safe. (It's not!)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
all data in the phone is encrypted, there will be messages, text, photos on the phone. They will get the Icloud email address and look in there but I cloud does not backup photos.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
99.99% of people who think they understand what encryption, and computers do - don't have a frigg'n clue..

Most of what the loudest voices are complaining about is complete BS.

But it's the Internet - everyone has the right to be offended...
Understanding what they were talking about ... Hell that never stopped anyone.

This may be the first time I feel like BigStick... Laugh' n....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then explain......... (Hint)

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Raeford

What really hits me about this damned situation: We The People have lost ALL FAITH AND TRUST in OUR GOVERNMENT!

Americans have never trusted our government. If we did then there would never have been a revolution or a civil war. Distrust of government is the reason there's a second amendment. Government is the natural enemy of freedom and must be limited, there are things government should never be given power over and this is one of those things.

As another poster mentioned, this is not about the civil rights of a terrorist, it's about the civil rights of millions of iPhone owners. In the big scheme of things that is MUCH more important than the FBI's investigation of one terrorist act. Just because the FBI and one judge wants something does not mean Apple should accommodate it, whether it's done under the color of law or not. This has the potential for huge amounts of abuse, it should rightly scare everyone.

As an example: Apple's CEO Tim Cook is a homosexual. What if Saudi Arabia decides to hang someone for homosexuality and wants to unlock their iPhone so they can get the names of his gay lovers. They get a judge to sign off on it & order Apple to do it. Should Apple comply? It's done under the color of law from a lawful government, so is it the right thing to do?

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I wonder if the San Bernadino attack had occurred at Apple's headquarters and a couple of dozen Apple employees were the victims and that additional attacks (on Apple employees) were planned, would Tim Cook still wave the "customer privacy" flag?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 39 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,959
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.