Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I could drive one right out of that 500 acre pine plantation into that impenetrable thicket.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by ihookem
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
Just because the current route isn't working doesn't mean a different approach can't.

A different approach would work really well. Ya see , in Wisconsin we got rid of them faster than you can slap a tick. They never even got a foot hold. The reason is , us Wisconsin boys know how to hunt. In Wisconsin we drive deer quite a bit and many get some bruiser bucks. I doubt those hogs are not any smarter than an old buck, NO WAY!. It seems, ( Texas boys , dont get hurt now) that you all sit in box blinds. You can't hunt hogs like that . One poster even said , he could have a hog by noon but it would be 2 weeks before one would come back in the same field. There is no reason you can't get drives going and push them enough for them to make a mistake. Good shooting and safety is a must however. Also, we have had these conversations before about hog problems. Lawsuits always come up. It is an excuse . I have hunted in Wisconsin all my life and NEVER heard of a lawsuit. NOT ONCE. And if you guys with hog problems are so selfish , then let the hogs ruin your land. And dont tell me I dont let others hunt my land. We do, we also let the neighbors hunt a bit, walk along our river, walk their dogs ETC. We are happy to share our land, of course , within reason and never asked for a penny. Not bad for a bunch of Yankees huh Steelhead.

Watching you tough guys "drive" hogs around here would be worth BIG money.
I'd buy a ticket to watch

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It would be the funniest show ever.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any greenbriars in Wisconsin?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I was thinking prickly pear... smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A "stroll" along an East Texas river or South Texas pear flat would be a hoot to watch.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Wisconsin hunters chase black bears with dogs.
I wonder if bear hunting dogs would chase pigs?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by whelennut

Yup. The challenge is getting to them once they're bayed.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by ltppowell
On that note, it is estimated that the whitetail population of the entire United States was 250,000 in 1900.

I was surprised, when reading "Journal of a Trapper, that Osbourne Russel who was born around 1800 and lived in Maine had never fired a rifle until he went West around 1830.

Apparently game was not nearly as plentiful by that time as I had always imagined.

In 1960, when I left for the Service, I would have to travel 20 miles to find deer. When I came home in 1964, they were all over this country.

There had always been wild hogs in the Squaw Mountain area in Northern Jack County but they had never migrated west of HWY 281 into Young County.

In the 'seventies, a couple of brothers who owned a ranch in the Squaw Mountain are rigged up a trailer with a trap door and caught hogs. Leasing pastures for deer hunting was becoming common by then and hunters would pay the boys to bring a trailer load to a pasture they had leased. They would feed them corn and water them in the trailer for a few days, then release them with a corn feeder placed where the trailer had been.

I know of three pastures, myself, here in North Young County where this was done.

In a very few years, hogs were plentiful all the way from Squaw Mountain to Jean. They seem to set up boundaries and stay in those boundaries for a long time. I saw the same thing in Cottle County, out under the Caprock. They stayed in pockets, even though the country adjacent to them was just like the area where they were established. Then they would suddenly appear miles away.

Just like W T deer, they use the rivers and large creeks as migration routes when they do spread out.

One of my long time M D hunting partners has a flying service in rice country and has a helicopter used strictly for facilitating rice "breeding" and killing hogs, since they are death on a rice field.

They do little damage to range land, wheat, or cotton, but play hell with a hay field.

They wipe out corn here, simply by rooting the seed as its planted.. Its amazing... folks have to replant quite often... once up its not bad though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
Just because the current route isn't working doesn't mean a different approach can't.

A different approach would work really well. Ya see , in Wisconsin we got rid of them faster than you can slap a tick. They never even got a foot hold. The reason is , us Wisconsin boys know how to hunt. In Wisconsin we drive deer quite a bit and many get some bruiser bucks. I doubt those hogs are not any smarter than an old buck, NO WAY!. It seems, ( Texas boys , dont get hurt now) that you all sit in box blinds. You can't hunt hogs like that . One poster even said , he could have a hog by noon but it would be 2 weeks before one would come back in the same field. There is no reason you can't get drives going and push them enough for them to make a mistake. Good shooting and safety is a must however. Also, we have had these conversations before about hog problems. Lawsuits always come up. It is an excuse . I have hunted in Wisconsin all my life and NEVER heard of a lawsuit. NOT ONCE. And if you guys with hog problems are so selfish , then let the hogs ruin your land. And dont tell me I dont let others hunt my land. We do, we also let the neighbors hunt a bit, walk along our river, walk their dogs ETC. We are happy to share our land, of course , within reason and never asked for a penny. Not bad for a bunch of Yankees huh Steelhead.

You don't have a clue.
You'd be better of trying to reason with them and LEAD them where ever you want them to go...

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Evidently some folks can NOT read, I"ve mentioned a lawsuit to a landowner in this thread TWICE now...

As to pigs being dumber than old bucks.... well that says a LOT for the posters ignorance of pigs.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

You can run them with dogs just like you do deer. That's how the settlers used to get them up when they rounded them up every fall. The problem with dogs is that there aren't very many people who actually keep hunting dogs these days. They are just too much trouble and work.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kids having fun with their pups...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rost495

They wipe out corn here, simply by rooting the seed as its planted.. Its amazing... folks have to replant quite often... once up its not bad though.

I've seen where hogs have gone through rows shoulder to shoulder eating the freshly planted corn kernels out of rows. When they got to the end of the field they turn around and clean out another bunch of rows in the opposite direction.

Not to worry, I'm sure Monsanto is working on a solution to the hog problem as we speak. We will worry about what the effects are to human consumption when we have to cross that bridge....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JoeBob

You can run them with dogs just like you do deer. That's how the settlers used to get them up when they rounded them up every fall. The problem with dogs is that there aren't very many people who actually keep hunting dogs these days. They are just too much trouble and work.

True dat, and the hogs that lived in the river bottoms were unmolested...livestock allowed to fend for itself. One of the coolest things about them is how fast they can be domesticated or go "feral".

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Pigs consistently rank among the smartest animals. Door latches in pens and hog houses are no problem for them. And I even saw a bunch of them make an improvised slip and slide out of some wet visqueen in a hog house when I was a kid. They were funny and looked just like a bunch of kids.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
When I was a lad in high school I didn't know you could hunt them without dogs.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Well, ok, I dont have a clue. Ya can have the hogs then. They are all yours. As for us. we dont have hog problems. We kill them on sight like Roundoak also mentioned. Matter of fact hunters knocked on farmers doors and asked to hunt for hogs. The hogs , although have it tougher up here from winters , didn't last long enough for most hunters in Wisconsin to even see one. And dont think we dont have brush like Briers and prickery pear. We got all kinds of stuff, even tag alder swamps. Oh well, hope I didn't hurt anyones feelings from down south. If you have land and hog problems , there are plenty of guys on this forum that are respectable and smart enough to not shoot a cow ( the lamest excuse to refuse hunters) , shoot tractors, get drunk and leave beer cans and candy wrappers and rut up the fields, ETC. that if you really wanted the hogs gone, again , there are good people on this forum would no doubt get a few pigs removed. Until then, good luck with the hogs.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Joe Bob... in the immortal words of Jerb Snow..."You just get ignoranter and ignoranter all the time".

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ihookem
Well, ok, I dont have a clue. Ya can have the hogs then. They are all yours. As for us. we dont have hog problems. We kill them on sight like Roundoak also mentioned. Matter of fact hunters knocked on farmers doors and asked to hunt for hogs. The hogs , although have it tougher up here from winters , didn't last long enough for most hunters in Wisconsin to even see one. And dont think we dont have brush like Briers and prickery pear. We got all kinds of stuff, even tag alder swamps. Oh well, hope I didn't hurt anyones feelings from down south. If you have land and hog problems , there are plenty of guys on this forum that are respectable and smart enough to not shoot a cow ( the lamest excuse to refuse hunters) , shoot tractors, get drunk and leave beer cans and candy wrappers and rut up the fields, ETC. that if you really wanted the hogs gone, again , there are good people on this forum would no doubt get a few pigs removed. Until then, good luck with the hogs.

We kill 'em on sight too.

Problem is, when they are 50 yards from a brushy creek when you see 20 of them, how many shots are you going to get?

Then how long before you see the group again?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (25aught6, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 222ND, 163bc, 61 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,489
Posts18,529,792
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.