Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Why is it that powder manufacturers give out load data freely in print & online but bullet manufacturers want us to buy that information in the form of a manual ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Several points:

The data provided for powders isn't normally provided by powder manufacturers. Instead it's worked-up by companies which buy powder from various manufacturers, then repackage and sell it. They normally test any powder with only one or two bullets in a specific weight, though a few test far more bullets.

Since new bullets appear all the time, powder companies are hard-put to test every one with all their appropriate powders. But when they do, they can cover their ass far quicker by posting the data on their website, rather than a paper manual appearing every few years.

Bullet weight makes a difference in pressure, but today there are so many different bullets that produce widely different pressures, you can work up a safe load with a certain 150-grain .270 bullet, then blow primers with the same load using a different 150-grain bullet. Yet handloaders still assume data for any 150-grain .270 bullet should be the same for any 150-grain .270 bullet.

Bullet manufacturers normally provide data ONLY for their bullets. They usually don't provide data for every 150-grain .270 bullet they make, but a maximum load that they found safe with ANY of their 150-grain .270 bullets.

Some bullet companies do post their data on-line. On the other hand, many handloaders don't use the Internet, or even own a computer, and are accustomed (or even happy) to spend money on new manuals, partly because many paper manuals provide far more information than load data.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Why is it that powder manufacturers give out load data freely in print & online but bullet manufacturers want us to buy that information in the form of a manual ?

Mike

Nosler is the exception to this, but good question.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Also powder manufacturers don't always shoot for accuracy, just pressures.

Bullet manufacturers usually show most accurate or most preferred load in some way or another.

Less time involved for powder manufacturers since they are looking for pressure only and not pressure/accuracy at same time.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NTG
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Mike

Nosler is the exception to this, but good question.

And Barnes.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I should also add that side from paper manuals often including various chapters with other information on handloading, the companies make money selling the books. Or at least one bullet company says they do. I would assume it's true for others.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My two favorite books as standard equipment is Hornady and Nosler. Norma has very good information in their reloading books. I always look forward to the stories associated with each cartridge. That's how you become a rifle loony, then you want one of those "other" cartridges to play around with.

It's all fun stuff, at least to me. I've a few "go to " rifles, and then the toys............

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
With the widely varying pressures created by different bullets, I sometimes wonder what purpose the data from the powder companies is supposed to serve if they don't designate a bullet. Along the same lines, it becomes very difficult to not cross the threshhold of safety when trying to match up bullets and powders from companies neither of which provides data for the pair.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

And Barnes.

Be sure to email Barnes and ask for complete data on a cartridge. They'll send back a PDF with all the data in the book, plus updates. It's a lot more than is on the web site.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad
With the widely varying pressures created by different bullets, I sometimes wonder what purpose the data from the powder companies is supposed to serve if they don't designate a bullet. Along the same lines, it becomes very difficult to not cross the threshhold of safety when trying to match up bullets and powders from companies neither of which provides data for the pair.

That's true, but a reloader should consider published data as a reference not a guarantee of results.

Data published by any source is really the results of a lab experiment that took place at a given time that contains many factors that are beyond control, so results may be similar but not exact.

Published data is designed to assist the reloader by providing guidelines for safe starting data and various reference points to help with load development in their rifles.

It's a damn sight better than nothing, as that was what I had a lot of when I started out reloading...none of the data today was available back then. The reloader had to work out a lot of things for himself in the absence of good data.

Reloading manuals of the day were helpful, as were the gun magazines and published articles and books by authors like Jack O'Oonnor, Keith, Whelen, Hutton etc...were an important and valuable resource back then. (JOC likely sold more 4831 than all the sales agents for the powder companies combined...)

Nowadays, manufacturers have done a lot of the work for us.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I enjoy getting new "bullet" reloading manuals from time to time. Data sometimes changes drastically especially when I reference old manuuals. But I do use as a guide line, with discretion. I imagine it is quite the task for a bullet co. to print a new manual with as many new cartridges and powders being introduced.
I sure wish Sierra would come out with one, I dont believe they've put out a new one in quite a few years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad

5sdad-
I'm curious which powder manufacturers currently distributing reloading information do not include bullet type in their data. The material I've seen recently from Hodgdon (H-, W-W, and IMR), Alliant, Western, Vihtavuori, and Norma all identify bullets used in testing loads for pressure and velocity.

Lyman's data identifies both powder and bullets for the loads they publish.

You may be correct for some imported powders. The recently published load data for Vectan powders may not indicate bullet types clearly. Also, in years past some powder maker's data did not identify bullets, which made interpretation difficult.

Thanks.
--Bob

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by nick

I sure wish Sierra would come out with one, I dont believe they've put out a new one in quite a few years.

What or how many NEW bullets has Sierra introduced in the last few yrs.

If they haven't, why should they produce new manuals often?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by OlongJohnson
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

And Barnes.

Be sure to email Barnes and ask for complete data on a cartridge. They'll send back a PDF with all the data in the book, plus updates. It's a lot more than is on the web site.

Between this and Hodgdon's website I have at least 95% of what I need.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a lot of reloading manuals, some new, some dating from the 70's. They can vary widely, Hornady and Nosler have been my go to's for the most part. Just got a 7X64 Brenneke that is not listed in normal manuals at all. Lapua and Norma list it but I don't have much in their powders. 280 Remington is about the same, but I will need be more careful here than I would be with say a 270 Winchester. AS always any change in components can be big change in pressure and accuracy.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Also powder manufacturers don't always shoot for accuracy, just pressures.

Bullet manufacturers usually show most accurate or most preferred load in some way or another.

Less time involved for powder manufacturers since they are looking for pressure only and not pressure/accuracy at same time.

Very logical answer. The powder companies interest in accuracy is probably low on their scale; they are most interested in selling powder while NOT blowing up the firearm. If the accuracy is sub-par, most shooters will blame the bullet manufacturer, not them. Bullet manufacturers recognize the value of accuracy on future sales.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by nick

What or how many NEW bullets has Sierra introduced in the last few yrs.

Jerry

"What or how many NEW bullets has Sierra introduced in the last few yrs. "

New powders have been introduced and Sierra should update their loading manual to keep up-to-date.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by jwall

Jerry

New powders have been introduced and Sierra should update their loading manual to keep up-to-date.

Agreed!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
It just makes you want to shake your head. frown

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 71 invisible), 3,231 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,105
Posts18,483,265
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.