Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by lightning
Apple are Muzzie sympathizers! They murdered 14 of our citizens!!

are you really too stupid to see the big picture?

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
All the FBI needs to do is-- give Apple the phone to download the data.
Apple then gives the data and phone back to FBI.
No other phones are compromised.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by TBREW401
All the FBI needs to do is-- give Apple the phone to download the data.
Apple then gives the data and phone back to FBI.
No other phones are compromised.

That wouldn't fit the fb-of-i's agenda...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And Apple would like to see the rest of us stripped of our right to keep and bear arms! There grounds for not helping the FBI in this dose not hold any water with me! Going with there reasoning, then we should have not broken JN-25, the Imperial Japanese Navy had its privacy rights violated! Like it or not we are in a War, and wars are won or lost on whom is better at getting intel from the enemy while keeping their own secure! I am sure that that fudge packer would get a better deal from the muslim enemy we have to fight and crush! Its one phone from enemy combatants- if this was 1943 he would be looking at maybe being shot for aiding and abbetting the enemy in a time of war!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It would also require them to create something that doesn't already exist. And once it exists, it could be a thing that could be a legal entity which governments might force forfeiture of. The technology in these devices has become a lot bigger than simply a little notebook or diary. Perhaps what the government is asking for could be compared to asking to look at "Alice's" Mead® spiral notebook, except that the subpoena actually says every Mead® spiral notebook existing should be their's for viewing upon demand, and at any time.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by gmsemel
And Apple would like to see the rest of us stripped of our right to keep and bear arms! There grounds for not helping the FBI in this dose not hold any water with me! Going with there reasoning, then we should have not broken JN-25, the Imperial Japanese Navy had its privacy rights violated! Like it or not we are in a War, and wars are won or lost on whom is better at getting intel from the enemy while keeping their own secure! I am sure that that fudge packer would get a better deal from the muslim enemy we have to fight and crush! Its one phone from enemy combatants- if this was 1943 he would be looking at maybe being shot for aiding and abbetting the enemy in a time of war!

lame analogy. Apple didn't say the FBI shouldn't hack the phone. they just said that Apple won't hack the ipone.

you should be a good citizen and disable all of the security features on your phone so the .gov won't have any problems recovering your data...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Despite what the FBI would like us and the Court to believe, this controversy really isn't about this particular iPhone or the dead terrorist who was using it (it wasn't actually the terrorist's phone ... it was owned by his employer, the County of San Bernardino, and interestingly enough, someone, either the County or the FBI, actually changed the password to the terrorist's iCloud Account AFTER the FBI took custody of the phone ... Hmmm ... some finger pointing going between the County and the FBI right now).

What this controversy is really about is the Executive Branch of our government doing an end-around Congress and the legislative process and putting the "squeeze" on a private company through the use of a Court Order, (which was originally obtained "ex-party" ... meaning without Apple being present in Court to contest or argue against the Order), to force that company to re-write its operating system, simply because the Executive Branch (FBI, NSA, CIA) doesn't like the encryption features of a particular piece of software. Now, if, for national security reasons, Congress sees fit to make a law that restricts encryption software from being sold in this Country or being used in software, firmware, computer operating systems, communication equipment, or requires some sort of law enforcement "backdoor, then those are issues and debates that should be undertaken by Congress, where the issues of national security vs. an individual's right to privacy can be fully considered. This is not an issue that should be decided by some unelected Federal Magistrate ... the lowest judicial officer on the Federal Court Totem Pole ... (who was probably deliberately picked by the DOJ/ FBI's lawyers in a bit of astute "forum shopping").

The bottom line: Unless Apple folds (which I doubt ... since it has the money and legal talent to go "toe-to-toe" with the Feds on this issue to the bitter end) this controversy will not be quickly resolved and will ultimately be decided by the Supreme Court.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Apple did?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
It would also require them to create something that doesn't already exist. And once it exists, it could be a thing that could be a legal entity which governments might force forfeiture of. The technology in these devices has become a lot bigger than simply a little notebook or diary. Perhaps what the government is asking for could be compared to asking to look at "Alice's" Mead® spiral notebook, except that the subpoena actually says every Mead® spiral notebook existing should be their's for viewing upon demand, and at any time.

At least you understand the situation. wink

Still would like to know how FBI knows the doomsday option is enabled on that phone.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Apple did?

??

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
someone, either the County or the FBI, actually changed the password to the terrorist's iCloud Account AFTER the FBI took custody of the phone ... Hmmm ... some finger pointing going between the County and the FBI right now).

WTF? You have to have the original passcode to do that...

Got to wonder if the FBI didn't accidentally lock the phone themselves.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Odie_54
someone, either the County or the FBI, actually changed the password to the terrorist's iCloud Account AFTER the FBI took custody of the phone ... Hmmm ... some finger pointing going between the County and the FBI right now).

WTF? You have to have the original passcode to do that...

Got to wonder if the FBI didn't accidentally lock the phone themselves.

BINGO!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Feds F up and now try and make Apple look bad so they can hack anyone's iPhone.

During the Friday call, the unnamed Apple executive said the company has been diligently working with the FBI to try to aid the terrorism investigation. After days of working with the FBI, Apple proposed one final attempt to recover roughly six weeks of data that was locked on the phone.

The idea was to force the iPhone 5C to auto-backup to Farook’s iCloud account. With a legal court order, Apple can and does turn over iCloud data. For some reason, Farook had not backed up the phone for roughly six weeks prior to the attack. The executive said Apple does not know whether the auto-backup was disabled or enabled, but he did say that the previous iCloud backups, which were handed over to investigators, were sporadic.

Apple suggested that the FBI take the iPhone 5C, plug it into a wall, connect it to a known Wi-Fi network and leave it overnight. The FBI took the phone to the San Bernardino County Health Department, where Farook worked prior to the December 2, 2015 attack.

When that attempt did not work, Apple was mystified, but soon found out that the Apple ID account password had been changed shortly after the phone was in the custody of law enforcement, possibly by someone from the county health department. With no way to enter the new password on the locked phone, even attempting an auto-backup was impossible. Had this iCloud auto-backup method actually functioned, Apple would have been easily able to assist the FBI with its investigation.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

When that attempt did not work, Apple was mystified, but soon found out that the Apple ID account password had been changed shortly after the phone was in the custody of law enforcement, possibly by someone from the county health department.

icloud has to recognize the device that you are using when you're trying to access the account. You can pair the account with any device but that device will be listed on the account. That should be traceable...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Apple did?

??

I was typing and all tracking shlt on this website slows down and corrupts my replies. I was trying to understand if a previous poster was claiming Apple directly or indirectly killed 14 citizens.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
So, either the FBI is playing dirty and trying to get a meta-key to gain access to everyone's phone,

OR, they are a bunch of idiots who changed a password and now forgot what it is. Sounds like evidence tampering to me.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
So, either the FBI is playing dirty and trying to get a meta-key to gain access to everyone's phone,

OR, they are a bunch of idiots who changed a password and now forgot what it is. Sounds like evidence tampering to me.

I'll take door #2......No wait, door #1...........Awe schit! theres more than one answer here.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Apple has just hired former U.S. Solicitor General, Ted Olson, a partner at the prestigious law firm, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, as its outside counsel in this matter. Mr. Olson is a "legal heavy-hitter," who, as former Solicitor General, and as a private attorney, has argued numerous cases before the U.S. Supreme Court.

I think it is safe to assume that the hiring of Ted Olson is a sign that Apple takes this matter very seriously, and will not be intimidated by the "huff-n-puff and blow your house down" tactics of the Feds.

I predict that by the time this issue is decided, one way or the other, whatever is on that iPhone will be ancient history, and of little or no practical use to the FBI.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Once again, if Apple's encryption can be cracked, even by the person that wrote the code, then it's a defective product, and everyone that's paid for that service should get their money back with interest. Cave into this, and the government will now have access to everything.

Not an Apple user, and I don't encrypt anything, but I fully support the company on this one.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/21/16.

1Minute
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The FBI should hire the guy that hacks my Iphone and constantly redirects it to the Candy Crush and Game of War apps when I try and get to this site. I'm sure he could break into it.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,794
Posts18,496,193
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.