Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi gents,

I said I'd never buy one but I've been throwing it around.

I have a ton of bolt action rifles but I don't know diddly schit about AR's and would appreciate some advice.

Primarily hunting coyotes here in Montana so cold weather dependability a must.

Will be mounting a good scope on it as well.

Any advice or steerage would be much appreciated.

Willing to spend up to $2k if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I would build one or have someone build one and put the good parts in it from the start. Like a match grade stainless barrel and 3lb trigger light weight handguard you will then wonder why you waited so long.lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a cold weather gun I'd spend the change and buy a PRI carbon fiber float tube for whatever you end up with. Even with gloves, those AL float tubes are brutal!

Islam is a terrorist organization.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Here's the "consensus" campfire AR:

Upper and lower receivers: Cheapest you can find.
Lower parts kit, anything except DPMS.
Milspec buffer tube, with Springco buffer-sping. Buffer weight as necessary to tune the system, about an H2 as default.

Quality, 16" mid-length gas barrel, such as BHW, White Oak, Criterion or Wilson, (not Wilson Combat), Chambered in .223 Wylde. Profile to taste, tipped with either a BCM mod 0 or A2 Birdcage.

Premium full-auto Bolt Carrier group, but nothing more expensive then Bravo Combat.

Geissele trigger to taste.

Magpul furniture and a Troy Alpha rail.

MBUS backup up sight.

Optics to taste.

VTAC 2 point sling.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 02/21/16.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And here I thought the Fire consensus was a Colt 6920 and anything else is junk. lol

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well fire consensus and others opinions differ as much and wildly as what we use teh guns for...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes
Hi gents,

I said I'd never buy one but I've been throwing it around.

I have a ton of bolt action rifles but I don't know diddly schit about AR's and would appreciate some advice.

Primarily hunting coyotes here in Montana so cold weather dependability a must.

Will be mounting a good scope on it as well.

Any advice or steerage would be much appreciated.

Willing to spend up to $2k if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Willing to spend that money I'd call White Oak Precision and have a candid conversation with them. Tell them what you want to do, what you'll never do, what accuracy and trigger type you are after and let them move forward from there.

Never seen them sell their name, or more than what you actually need through a conversation, if that's Wilson or Bartlein/Krieger/Rock type uppers...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Milspec buffer tube, with Springco buffer-sping. Buffer weight as necessary to tune the system, about an H2 as default.

Quality, 16" mid-length gas barrel, such as BHW, White Oak, Criterion or Wilson, (not Wilson Combat), Chambered in .223 Wylde. Profile to taste, tipped with either a BCM mod 0 or A2 Birdcage.

Premium full-auto Bolt Carrier group, but nothing more expensive then Bravo Combat.

MBUS backup up sight.

Optics to taste.

VTAC 2 point sling.

You know that's not too far off...

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
White Oak Armament make's some real good barrel's I have use 5 of them and they have all shot very well.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

MBUS backup up sight.

Optics to taste.

VTAC 2 point sling.

I'd add that a crap upper receiver might bite you, and a Troy Alpha is okay, but I'd look elsewhere. The only reason to pick an Alpha is you have to use a GI barrel nut for some reason.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Don't care what the consensus is I would not use the cheapest upper and lower but that's my preference right or wrong.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
anderson lowers are fine, the tolerances are fine, they fit any upper I have tried fine, I have shot one of them well over over 400 rounds in the last few months not had a problem, the G2S and DD parts kit went in "fine" and again no issues.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
preference is not right or wrong.

But for accuracy and reliability, those are about the LAST 2 things I'd worry about.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anderson upper and lower on one of my builds has over 2500 rounds now.
Accurate, fits tight, runs smooth, no unusual wear.
I keep wondering when my cheap gun is going to fall apart?
I'll put my money into the bolt, barrel and trigger.

Last edited by NVhntr; 02/22/16.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info, gents.

Apparently I know even LESS about AR's than I thought I did!

I've got some work to do to get this all sorted out.

Appreciate the help and advice.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You can go several different directions chasing the perfect AR.

For a coyote gun around here with called coyotes I use carbines but if shots are longer, a rifle (20") makes some sense. First I'd figure out if you want an A2 stocked 20" rifle or a collapsible stocked carbine. Go shoulder some and shoot them first if possible.

Whichever you decide spend your money on a good barrel and trigger. These two things are the heart of the gun and stocks, grips and hand guards are pretty much personal opinion. Of course quality small parts and furniture usually make for a nicer gun but the barrel is where the accuracy comes from and a good trigger helps you obtain it.

Most want a hunting/home defense gun and choose carbines creating so much confusion. There is so much difference in carbines that it does become difficult choosing. A good home defense/general purpose carbine is a Colt 6920 but most will tweak it by first replacing the trigger, then a free floating hand guard of choice, then a different stock, then a good barrel depending on how deep you want to go.

Buying what you want from the beginning is a better way but until you handle a few and get advice that pertains to your uses, it can be difficult sorting through everyone else'
opinions. We are here to help but it's like having someone else pick your wife for you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What are the thoughts on the RRA coyote hunter Eichler model?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Partagas
What are the thoughts on the RRA coyote hunter Eichler model?

Good question as that is the thing that peaked my interest in the first place.

I was hoping to find something that was a "turn-key" purchase.

Hell, I'm not familiar with half of the terms being tossed out there.

'Course, I ain't the smartest. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RRA makes a nice mid level rifle, and they typically run 100% and shoot well. For a general purpose AR a guy could do a lot worse as that one seems to have what most guys would want/need and not much they dont.

I have no actual experience with that particular rifle but i know for myself i prefer a slim forend and that one appears a bit chunky in diameter. Also i am not a huge fan of the RRA Operator buttstock but that is literally a 10 second fix.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For what you said you had in mind for the gun, I would also suggest Rock River. Look over their offerings and you should find something that will suit.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 11 invisible), 1,493 guests, and 789 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,600
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.