Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#109905 11/21/02
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I looked around on internet auctions and classified, and saw an occasional rifle on the used racks around here, and it looked like total beaters with no blue, cracks and initials carved in the stock, etc., started around $400 and it took $500 or more to get anything decent, closer to $1000 if it was anything other than a .300. Then a couple years ago I was at a gunshow and saw a very nice looking .300, 24" barrel, schnabel forend, pistol grip, non-factory D&T with an old 4X post-reticle bushnell in a redfield mount. It had the usual bluing wear on the receiver, but the rest of the gun was in very good shape, including the oiled walnut stock with lots of fiddle. The lever rattled terribly, I presumed to that to be due to a worn bushing. SN indicates 1954 mfr. Price was $300, and the seller was a local pawn shop who gave me a guarantee. I worried a little bit about what sort of lemon I might be getting, but bought it anyway.
<br>
<br>Turned out the lever bushing was very worn. I replaced it for a few bucks, and all has been fine ever since. It shoots 3/4" 100yd groups with a 165gr Hornady handload, and shot it's first critter this fall, a spike bull elk.
<br>
<br>So why did I get such a bargain? Was it the non-factory D&T? The worn lever bushing? Or was I just lucky? -al

GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
BTW, I wanted to talk more about that worn bushing. Like I said, the lever rattled something awful. It shot okay at first, but than after about 50rnds, the lever started occasionally disconnecting from the bolt. If I applied some side pressure, it would catch again and open. I don't know what the innards of a M99 look like, but I guessed that the lever engaged the bottom of the bolt with some lugs, and that the slop in the lever allowed these lugs to slip off. Tightening up the lever fixed that. Sound about right? It's never done it since I replaced the bushing. And I'm also assuming that the bolt locks closed by engaging lugs in the receiver, and has nothing to do with the alleged lugs on the lever, but I sure would hate for that bolt to come flying out into my face or something because it's not locking like it should. Any help out there? -al

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
EllieMae:
<br>
<br>It's hard to tell...sounds like you got a good gun for a reasonable amount of money. Never know what another one will bring, might have something about it that makes it a bit rare and worth a little more or it might be a seller that has it over priced. I think you are at about the bottom end for a good shooter 99. Its hard to find any kind of good shooting rifle for that kind of money any more and a 99 is special even if it has been drilled and tapped. Someone was talking on the forum not long ago about the prices of 99s going down some. I think that good quality 99s still bring good money. Poor quality ones don't do so well but that's the way it is with everything. Sellers on the internet don't mind asking a nice price, that's for sure.
<br>
<br>Elwood

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
{Sellers on the internet don't mind asking a nice price, that's for sure.}
<br>
<br>I watch the internet auctions a lot and I buy and sell a little myself. Most of the internet sellers aren�t asking a lot, it�s just that the internet buyers are willing to pay a lot, or so it seems to some of you. The market is the market which is what makes the whole economy work. The internet has become the place to sell and buy and that is what is determining the market value of the goods traded there. I sold 3 Stiths with scopes on ebay this Fall. Don�t tell me that NIB Stith mounts are worth $50 � the �market� says otherwise. Those of you who refuse to acknowledge the presence of the real market are walking in the tracks of the dinosaurs. So�send me all of the $50 Stiths and $200 Savage leverguns you have. I�ve got the cash to pay and appreciate your patronage.
<br>
<br>

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was just curious about what made my rifle so cheap, so I could maybe find another bargain. I mean, if non-factory D&T, for example, makes a $500 gun worth $300, I'll look for more like that, and make offers accordingly. -al

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Your rifle wasn't terribly cheap. That's about where the market is on those on both auctionarms.com and gunbroker.com. Here in Houston, any Savage levergun in any shop in any condition has a starting price of about $375. I'm not kidding - I found an old EG
<br>.300 the other day with a broken forearm for the bargain price of $385!!
<br>
<br>There are some great deals to be had in the outback when you can find them but that should not be construed to be the going price of goods.
<br>
<br>About 4 months ago some schmuck put a 99C 7mm-08 on gunsamerica for something like $500 and it was gone in a heartbeat (someone here on this forum bought it). That gun is worth $800 - $1000 in the open market. A .284 model F brought over $1500 on one of the auctions a few weeks back. Outrageous I suppose but watch what the next one brings...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The value of something is what somebody is willing to pay for it. That is our free enterprise system at work. Having said that, I don't think it is easy for any of us who have been following Savage 99's for a few decades to accept the recent escalation in prices!
<br>
<br>Collecting 99's is certainly not a hobby for someone wondering where next weeks grocery money will come from. On the other hand, if you have a plan for your collection and have patience (you don't have to buy everything in one year) for someone with a little bit of discretionary income, it can be very rewarding.
<br>
<br>And don't forget: the history involved, the opportunity & joy of learning, the nostalgia, the people you meet, the friendships you build - these all have a great deal of value. The journey is just as important as the destination!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Prices in the Billings MT area are about the same as Mike said they are in the Houston area. A 99 in any kind of shape is going to bring at least $350-400. I personally feel that is a very reasonable price - I'd much rather spend that amount of money on a used 99 - vs- $500 and up on a new bolt gun.
<br>
<br>Gary

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just bought a well used .308 99E for 225, and I'm pretty happy about it. I also got a pre mil 99f in 308 for 350, and it was in excellent shape. I've been looking for that gun for about 5 years,and got a great price. Now these are exceptions to the rule, you have to be patient ,and look in every crack and crevice of gun shows. The firehall gun shows are where the best deals are. Prices in my area are also going up, so I jump on ANY decent 99 that I find.Also, that 99e was made in 1962, but has the lever safety, and a beautiful 20 inch barrel made in Chicopee . How did that happen?

If you really like something,you better buy two!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
savage 99 prices
<br>
<br>yes, virginia, there is a santa clause.
<br>
<br>prices here in west virginia start around the 400.00 dollar mark. that is for one that has seen the woods and has been bloodied. seems folks 'round here like those sight thru scope mounts,too. i have seen some butched up 99's because of those,so called,got to have that see thru mount. most of them are in .300 savage and every now and then .308.
<br>
<br>good luck,
<br>
<br>99savage308
<br>,
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

99savage308

..NRA Life Member ..

.."There are only two things in life worth having. A woman from anywhere and a fine Swiss watch."..
IC B3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1Longbow, 10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,476
Posts18,529,590
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.