Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
All -

Wondering what you guys are running in your v-twins for oil in all 3 holes? I know a lot run the Syn3 from HD as it's 1 oil for all 3 needs but I generally believe that this isn't a good idea. Probably decent but not great in each application. I don't mind having 3 oils on hand if it means longer life of the bike.

Been hearing a lot of good things about Redline from HD riders - anyone here?

Me

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have used Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin oil in mine since 5000 miles, in primary, trans and engine

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by toad
I have used Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin oil in mine since 5000 miles, in primary, trans and engine

I assume no issues...

Anything that had you going Mobil 1 over something else?

Me

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm running syn3, over 40k on my 2009 Fatboy, runs a little cooler after switching, everything works great.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
45K miles and no issues.

I read a series in American Iron magazine where they sent samples of the most popular V-Twin oils in to an independent laboratory, and Mobil 1 performed best in the tests they had done. I don't remember the specifics, but it was a pretty detailed series of articles.

this was ten years or longer ago, so things may have changed, but I've used nothing but Mobil 1 in my bike since.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
MOBIL 1 is probably the best. For a non-syn Shell Rotella hands down.

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm thinking of going and staying syn - mostly to lower temps and for the generally better wear properties.

I want this motor to stay together a long time. Stock basically - at most will be intake/exhaust and appropriate tune for them.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
05 88 twinkie had 35000 and I ran syn from the getgo.
09 Roadie has 22000 same same .
no issues
none.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought a Fat Bob - 2013 TC, 103 inch with 4300 miles on it.

So I have a chance to affect the majority of its life, mechanically.

Big investment for me so I wanted to get it right. Was it a new Peterbilt - I'd be ok, I know that. Or pick up etc.

Never had to keep an air cooled motor alive like this one.

Thanks for the help.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The HD v twin is pretty much automotive like these days.
At idle they jump around alot but at speed, there smooth as can be.
4300 miles is nothing.Nothing at all.Change out the oil at 5000 and ride it like you stole it.
The newer ones have alot of chi-com plastic chit on them that tends to crack. ie seat pans.
H-D seats are total crap.
Buy your self a comfortable seat Russel daylong,saddleman,mustang...
Enjoy..

dave

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I never got to crank on a 103. Bikes been in the family since my great uncle bought his first HD in the 30's. Dad got his when he was 13 or something.

Been on em, around em etc but this is the first one with my name on my title.

Currently my mother is the only other with a bike, dad having sold his Bonneville a couple of years ago but she's the type to have the dealer do all the service so I come to the collective wisdom of the 'fire.

Appreciate it.

Went in looking to see what I'd be able to afford - walked out with this - Tax/Title/License and bike for the price of a new Sportster. Did okay I think.

[Linked Image]

Some people don't like the twin headlamps but I have a pic from the HD museum of a 29 with the same exact set up - same size, everything. It's been around a long time.

Me

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I wonder why the Soft tail engines are balanced and not for the other models?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
HD is still quite a bit about image and history. People want some bikes that still shake a little bit but smooth out later at speed.

Heck - a new bike's mirrors are actually usable with the bike running.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice looking bike, teal. Put a capful of Amzoil 2-cycle oil in the gas tank every other tank. This coming from my Harley mechanic (now retired) that works on my bike.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks - the color is growing on me. I'm more of a flat black and no chrome kind of guy but I couldn't pass up the deal. Originally was looking at a 2011 - same bike but brighter orange - sales manager mentioned this one, determined it was worth the extra 500 bucks to go from 2011 to 2013 and get the bigger motor and the extras like the pillion back rest, pipes and luggage rack.

Me

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Use Mobil 1 in both my 1998 DWG and 1996 Triumph 1200 Trophy. Both still running great with no problems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My riding buddie is a fatboy type of guy.He has two, a 1992 and a 2013 with the 103 that he turned into a bagger.Flat black with lots of goodies.
He loves it.
The one thing about the bigger engines is that they crank out more heat.On a fatboy your sitting on the oil tank.On hot days he got a hot butt.
He added a cooler/radiator that fits between the frame rails on the under side of the bike.You cant even see it.
It should help and this summer will tell the tale.

Thats a great looking bike you got there.

Im a Road Glide kind of guy.
Once I got a real seat on it.
You can go all day.
I like my bags, cruz controll, tunes, and butt comfort.

dave

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by whelennut
I wonder why the Soft tail engines are balanced and not for the other models?

Soft tail engines are rigid-mounted to frame for traditional appearance, so balanced to cut vibration. All other models use vibration-damping rubber(? or some elastomer) bushings between engine and frame.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by teal
All -

Wondering what you guys are running in your v-twins for oil in all 3 holes? I know a lot run the Syn3 from HD as it's 1 oil for all 3 needs but I generally believe that this isn't a good idea. Probably decent but not great in each application. I don't mind having 3 oils on hand if it means longer life of the bike.

Been hearing a lot of good things about Redline from HD riders - anyone here?

I've run the HD Synthetic in all the bikes since '05.. Why do you believe it's "not a good idea"??

I like the fact that it behaves the same whether the temps 33F or 103F. Never had a single engine issue using that product - ever..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I think syn is a good idea but I don't think the same exact oil in all 3 is a good idea.

One right tool for each specific task kind of thing.

I get some people/dealers don't want to stock 3 separate oils and having one oil that's okay across the board for each makes sense from that perspective.

Engine, primary and particularly the trans all require different things from an oil - I just don't think that it's likely HD has someone whipping up a blend that covers each as well as a purpose specific oil would in each area.

I'm sure it's "ok" for the most part - just that I'd rather go the extra step and do whats best for each.

Poking around the net more - seems like the Mobil 1 products for engine and primary with Redline for trans are highly touted.

Service manager at the dealer is an outstanding wrench - I'm going to ask him tomorrow. Heck his father in law has the world's fastest panhead and is a 5 time national champion. His wife races nitro bikes as well.

Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (16penny, 160user, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,524
Posts18,472,626
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.