Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Jaguar
A different take:

Hardly.

Well, OK, maybe I have messed a few comments and someone has already said part of what I said. Perhaps I elaborated more. Either way, LR is a trend I don't particularly care for, but the specific venue it was presented in at the start of this thread was especially distressful to contemplate. On so many levels.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kingston
Shouldn't you be snow boarding?

Originally Posted by battue
Great, now I fell better.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by kingston
Shouldn't you be snow boarding?

Weak, but today I did buy my first snowboard rather then renting each time, so guess I was in a round about kind of way. Thanks for asking.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wish my kid could shoot like that, wouldn"t you?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Given a choice I would rather Her be a great hunter vs a great shooter. Now since she didn't take to hunting, I spend our time together in other ways. Thus part of my new interest in snowboarding.

Anyway, I don't find much of a rush in the extreme LR game, but it is here and some believe in the the old Roman way of disagreeing with the message.

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Missed the entire animal on the first shot.

Should be all that needs saying.

The kid with his gear and crew would outshoot me every day of the week all year long, but I like to hunt more than I like to take pokes at game.

Lotta guys will justify this. Lots of them can shoot too. Dont make it right. Hunting isnt sniping.

Also dont really care that much. If it werent a slow night I wouldnt have posted.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
I wish my kid could shoot like that, wouldn"t you?

Yep.

Then again, I would it even more if he were a hunter.

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is definition of hunter?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Why not have your kids know how to hunt and shoot well. Mine are good at both. Doesn't have to be one or the other. Put them both together and they are lethal.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you need a lesson on why this is more shooting than hunting, then you wont get it.

Not calling for anything to be banned or outlawed, but the shooter and crew get no atta boy IMo.

For all I care, they could keep at it, I could give a [bleep] what some other guy is doing.

But if you cant get closer than 1400 yards, maybe you need to work on the craft a little. And if you didnt try, then you are shooting more than hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While it may not be legal anywhere, I venture that a careful 22 long rifle poke at 50 yards is a more ethical deal than is the shot(s) in question.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 02/27/16.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
But if you cant get closer than 1400 yards, maybe you need to work on the craft a little. And if you didnt try, then you are shooting more than hunting.

Maybe you could show us where it is written the idea of closer is hunting while farther is not. Perhaps we could find some bow hunters who would tell us using a firearm is a stunt and not showing the proper respect for the game.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ringman
[quote]
Maybe you could show us where it is written the idea of closer is hunting while farther is not. Perhaps we could find some bow hunters who would tell us using a firearm is a stunt and not showing the proper respect for the game.

Not to be critical - unless I'm very mistaken, that has already been discussed w/in this context.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
What is definition of hunter?

Someone who hunts like I do.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
Maybe you could show us where it is written the idea of closer is hunting while farther is not.

I'm more interested in hearing how close I need to be before I'm actually hunting.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
If you need a lesson on why this is more shooting than hunting, then you wont get it.

Not calling for anything to be banned or outlawed, but the shooter and crew get no atta boy IMo.

For all I care, they could keep at it, I could give a [bleep] what some other guy is doing.

Do I have to have different rifles to do these two things? Or can I still use the same gun, it just totally changes at X yards?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ringman,

Actually, that very concept was discussed long before laser rangefinders appeared. You may or may not have heard of a little book entitled MEDITATIONS ON HUNTING written by a Spanish hunter and philosopher named Jose Ortega y Gasset in the 1930's. It's most famous for this comment: "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."

But Ortega y Gasset also wrestles with technology, partly because he acknowledged that by the 20th century hunting wasn't essential to physical existence of most humans. Instead it had become a more ritualized activity, even though many of us also value and eat game meat.

Here's another short quote from the section on modern hunting technology, which obviously wasn't as advanced in the 1930's as the 21st century. One of Ortega y Gasset's main points is that once we bypass an animal's natural survival instincts with our technology, then we're not hunting but just killing: “The confrontation between man and animal has a precise boundary beyond which hunting ceases to be hunting, just at the point where man lets loose his immense technical superiority—that is, rational superiority—over the animal.”

Some hunters would counter that any technology more complex than bonking an animal over the head with a rock bypasses the animal's survival instincts, so in order to be ethical we should be restricted to hunting with hand-held rocks, because even a club is "rational superiority."

But that's not the point, precisely because non-survival hunting is more of a ritual with nature than a basic physical need. Ortega y Gasset is saying that while we don't need to kill an elk in order to keep from starving, we still need to interact with an elk's survival instincts in order to be hunters rather than mere killers.

The question of what's ethical (and not just in hunting) has been debated by humans for thousands of years, and goes far beyond the typical Campfire debates, which tend not to be debates but pronouncements, such as:

"My hunting method is legal, so it's ethical."
"What does what some dead Spaniard wrote have to do with today?"
"Is too."
"Is not."

Probably the most practical observation in this entire thread is we need to teach kids to shoot well so they can kill cleanly. However, I'd sure want any of my kids to be capable of hitting a bull elk more than 50% of the time.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It would have been impressive if he'd shot it at 50 yards with a borrowed 30-06 and Corlokts.

And by himself...

There's long range shooting and there's hunting. No such thing as long range hunting in my book because I don't see it as fair chase.

But hey, some guys think jacking off is the same as getting laid....

Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

330 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 1beaver_shooter, 49 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,036
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.