Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
epdowd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm sure some of you Savage Gents have run into this before.
I have a Savage 99R made in 1941. The Brass rotor won't bring the last two cartridges around and up enough to be fed into the chamber.
I suppose it has a very weak spring?. Are these to be had and also is this a gunsmith type repair?.
Thanks for any info...

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
easy fix if your capable .it needs to come apart and be cleaned and the tension set .

plab

Gotta love them 303's
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by epdowd
I'm sure some of you Savage Gents have run into this before.
I have a Savage 99R made in 1941. The Brass rotor won't bring the last two cartridges around and up enough to be fed into the chamber.
I suppose it has a very weak spring?. Are these to be had and also is this a gunsmith type repair?.
Thanks for any info...

Taken from "Misc good stuff" in the savage forum:

Posted by Longbeardking:

Rotor (carrier spindel) spring adjustment. If you have problems with the magazine not accepting enough rounds (or not feeding all of the rounds) you might have a rotor that is wound too tight (or not enough).

"If you look just above the cartdidge counter window, you'll see a small screw. If you remove the forend and look at the end of the receiver you'll see a ring that is slotted. You'll need a flat bladed screwdriver with a slot cut through it so it fits well into the slots on the ring. Now being careful. loosen that screw above the window. It only has about 6 or 8 threads on it IIRC and then it's a straight shank beyond that. DO NOT FULLY REMOVE THIS SCREW YET!!! While you are loosining that screw, you want to have the slotted screwdriver in place holding the rotor from turning. On the rotor, there are a series of slots around the diameter for that screw above the window to engage. If you rotate the rotor ever so slightly you can feel the slot on that screw. Holding the rotor in place, gently remove the screw. Once that screw is fully removed you should feel resistance on the slotted screwdriver. This is where you have to be careful. 2 people really help, although I did it alone. Rotate the rotor only slightly (clockwise if too tight and counter-clockwise if too loose)and place the screw you removed back into the hole you took it out of. You'll feel it contact the rotor. Carefully rotate the rotor until the screw engages the next slot in the rotor. Replace the screw once it's in a slot and thread it in. You want to go no more than one slots adjustment and I think you should be OK. I hope I haven't confused you any more than you already might be."

dave

epdowd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thank you Dave for the great info !!. Yes, I'm capable of doing that. I had visions of taking the receiver apart or worse.
I'm sure glad I asked because I really like this Savage..

epdowd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
OK Dave, It works exactly like you described it !!. It works perfectly now and I thank you very much !!.
Harv.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
hey great!

Another forum member here, "longbeardking", actually wrote up the process...I just found it and pasted it here for ya.

I used the same process on the 1st or second savage lever gun I bought and it worked fine as well afterwards.. I emphasize the word "second" in that sentence...if you are like most of us hanging around here, you'll likely be buying more in the days ahead! wink

Glad it worked out for you.

dave

epdowd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yes, I have my Dad's 1909 32-40 , a .303 a .300 and a .250. The 99 is my favorite rifle. Prettiest lever action ever made !!!. Harv.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
One of my three 99s doesn't feed properly. It has a aluminum rotor. My gunsmith buddy says to try making it tighter or looser 1/4 turn at a time until it feeds properly. I'll have to do that. It just seems to me that the older rifles with brass rotors weren't as fussy. I've had them all apart and understand how they work.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 58 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,509
Posts18,509,355
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.