Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Harry M
JFK would not have supported an assault rifle ban......
That's a nonsensical statement. When I was a kid, I can remember handguns, a type of weapon as a class even more common than "assault weapons" being pretty uncommon amongst regular folks. My sense of it is that though a lot were probably owned, people were a lot less open about it. Most of the parents and their cronies would tell a kid, "a handgun will just get you in trouble". NOBODY was encouraged to own one. The thought that you were more likely to shoot yourself than successfully defend yourself with one was widespread. Deer in Kansas were almost non-existent and the thought that one "needed" a "big game" rifle was scoffed at. Lots of people claimed they had 30-30's or Mausers to shoot coyotes with. Some went to Colorado to hunt deer. That was about it.

WWII weapons were cool, because most of these old guys had used them in that war or Korea-but civilian or legal versions were non-existent other than some gun somebody had brought back from parts or that some REMF had stolen. There were NO AR's around. They simply weren't there. I doubt AR's even started gaining much in popularity until the Vietnam War was almost over.

So if an AWB was to be instituted, nobody would care. Why would JFK have balked at it, even if the other assassinations hadn't happened? If the Dems were for it, JFK would have been. Johnson would have too.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you think JFK was shot by anyone else other than Oswald, or if you think LBJ ordered it, there is a huge sale going on at COSTO:
[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I was in the second grade, living in a small enclave in far western, rural Kentucky. I don't recall anyone having any emotional reaction to the event. When one lives in 40253, world events happen in a galaxy far, far away. Emotion doesn't figure into it because one is only very vaguely connected to them.

We had an old Motorola television that was considered a little bit fancy for the time because it had a dial which was a series of buttons configured in a circular pattern.

To change channels, you pushed the button next to the number of the channel you wanted and it would mechanically rotate until it got there.

hmm-CLICK, hmm-CLICK, hmm-CLICK, hmm-CLICK

I barely remember the mechanical function of the dial because it quit working shortly after dad bought the TV, so we'd just grab the knob and turn it manually.

The antennae was mounted on a steel pole about 18' tall and positioned next to a window in our living room. The NBC affiliate was WPSD-TV in Paducah, Kentucky,..the ABC affiliate was WSIL-TV in Harrisburg, Illinois, the CBS affiliate was KFVS-TV in Cape Girardeau, Missouri.

WPSD always came in good. KFVS was also okay,..to pick up WSIL required the ability to be able to reach your arm out the window and finely tune the antennae by turning the pole while looking over your shoulder at the TV screen.

We all sat for several days watching the events on that old black and white Motorola,....switching between the 3 channels and adjusting the antennae pole to make sure we received the latest breaking news.

Bristoe, that is some funny stuff. You must have grown up in a parallel universe to my Dad, who grew up in Marion, IL.

Always cracks me up when the uneducated want to call those folks yankees. lol

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI
The brain, being mostly water, detonates like a gallon jug. If you ever make it to the Plaza, you will see just how close the shot was from the window, and the implausibility of a frontal shot. That and of course the autopsy. Clearly a rear shot.

I will take Jorge's observation a step farther. If you ever make it up to the Book Depository floor near where Oswald took the shot (the exact window is blocked off), you will know that fella in the limo didn't stand a chance.

He was moving away in a straight line and slight downward slope.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TATELAW
I was born in 1971 so this was before my time and thankfully there has been no presidential assassination during my life. I vaguely remember the Reagan attempt but I was young.

Most of my adult life politics has been so polarized that it seems only half the country would be distraught if we had another assassination, depending on whether a D or R was in the White House. The other half could care less and some would actually celebrate it as a good thing.

I just wonder if this was the case after the Kennedy assassination? History tell us that the whole country was in shock and mourning, but was that really the case? For those of you that lived through it, was the whole country really upset or were there large numbers of people who really didn't care?

Guess I'm just wondering if our country has truly changed as much as it seems, or if the great divide has always been part of us and historians just try to smooth it over.

we were a different country then, even Democrats were pro American and for the middle class

I believe everyone was deeply effected by the assassination. I was only 5 years old and it's one of my first really strong memories.

I know my family grieved, don't know whether they voted for him, but they grieved for our nation's loss of it's president

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you think JFK was shot by anyone else other than Oswald, or if you think LBJ ordered it, there is a huge sale going on at COSTO:
[Linked Image]

grab me a couple of cases of that stuff if it's on sale jorge

we go through that stuff like water at my work!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
This is one of the most fun and perhaps tragic things to study and teach as a History teacher. I think that J. Edgar Hoover hated the Kennedy's. He might have had a ton of dirt on them but probably felt that LBJ was much easier to manipulate (Bobby Kennedy was probably a real pain in the butt and not the kind that Hoover liked). I don't want no flame war but Papa Pilgrim (Robert Hale son of famous FBI agent and family friend with LBJ) and his murder of Connelly's daughter(Was this to keep people quiet) and the subsequent murder of several folks by armed breakins with 20 gauge shotguns which were not investigated are just strange and crooked. Several wealthy Texans including the Hunts supported LBJ. Roger Stone wrote a very interesting book and he didn't look at the Hale connections. Makes you go hmmmm!

Warren commission was pretty comprehensive and modern forensics seems to support commission report but there are outliers and black swans like the man with the umbrella and the shennigans with the Hales that make me think that Johnson worked with Hoover.

Last edited by kaboku68; 02/27/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by kaboku68
One weird thing on JFK. Why was LBJ laying on the floor of his limo 40 seconds before the first shot?

Moreover why did LBJ want to ramp up VietNam? Was it a coincidence that Ladybird owned controlling interest in Lone Star Concrete and they were awarded the military contracts for all the airstrips in Viet Nam?

Just a Frinstance....

LBJ had our boys get killed by the thousands, just so he could make a buck. I will never be done hating him for that.

Yep.
We are the same age, the older we get the more that it becomes apparent that JFK was killed for greed. And clandestine business going on by people in high places.
We were actually pretty naive then, believing that everyone was out for the greater good ........

Our country was diffrent back then. Politics were not as rabid or extreme, both sides had manners and respect, and could work togther to actually accomplish things. No one in my town expressed anything but shock and disbelief when JFK was killed.
The whole Oswald/Ruby/lone gunman deal seemed pretty fishy, even to a fourth grader.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The brain, being mostly water, detonates like a gallon jug. If you ever make it to the Plaza, you will see just how close the shot was from the window, and the implausibility of a frontal shot. That and of course the autopsy. Clearly a rear shot.

You mean the autopsy where JFK's brain was lost?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
One thing about it, there's sort of a whole "cottage industry" writing and publishing books about JFK and the assassination.
Gerald Posner's "Case Closed" lays out a very good argument that Oswald acted alone. But even in that book, there are many stories tying Oswald to the CIA. Even if you're inclined to believe the "Lone Nut Gunman" theory, it's pretty hard to ignore the CIA links.
It's true that when something like this happens to someone as loved as JFK, you just want to read more into it. That's to be understood.
But I still believe it was a coup.
7mm

Posner did an excellent job of dismissing out of hand any evidence that contradicted what he wanted to conclude. The only one better at that was Vincent as he Boogalooed down Osi.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Standing at a band saw in JR High wood shop, when the teacher yelled for us to shutup. He never raised his voice so instant quiet. Next thing I recall, we were all listening to a table top wooden tube radio around his desk.

I don't think we the public, will ever know the whole truth of that assassination.

The only other incidents to even begin to affect the public as much since, were Challenger in the 80's and 1911.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My family HATED the Kennedys, but nobody was happy about the shooting.

The country changed starting in 1966 in a big way. It was young vs old (over 30 and under 30). The antiwar movement started a political rift, that along with the Civil Rights movement that has never healed.

Patriotism became an anathema to liberals and Blacks. America was evil and the establishment was corrupt and needed to fall.

That is your genesis for today's Dem Party. They hate America and everything that made it great. Hence anti capitalists, open boarders, spurning religions and a good work ethic is what they are about.

Class envy sprouted from those who could not afford college to avoid the draft and protest.

Only good things about the '60 were cars and music.

Last edited by hatari; 02/27/16.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The assassination affected me deeply as at the time I was in the Air Force stationed on a TDY to assist Kennedy's pilots with their weather briefings. Kennedy came into the office and came up to me, shook my hand as was starting to say something when my ahole CO came up, started to chew me out for bothering the President and Kennedy flat out put him in his place.
Fast forward to when I was stationed at Osan AFB in Korea. About two in the morning some dude starts beating on my barracks window and when I opened it, he says the Presidents been shot. I got up and went to the rec room, turns on the TV and sure as hell, he's been shot. At that time it was not known if he was alive or dead. The call came from our office e to report immediately and draw arms and ammo. Next thing I knew I was on the base perimeter with a loaded M2 carbine and three spare 30 round magazines. My orders were to holler halt three times in English and Korean and they didn't answer up shoot. Kind of a shaky night as we had no idea if the North Koreans hadn't decided to come down and raise hell again.
No, I remember the whole deal vividly. What makes it worse is JFK was not something on a screen for me but a real human being whose hand I proudly shook.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
There was a lot of political opposition to JFK and the media treated him like Obama. No one was happy he was shot, or very few anyway, but the real tragedy was it opened the door for LBJ and it's been mostly downhill ever since.

The week following seemed interminable.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I was in school in Kentucky when JFK got shot. I remember people being stunned that the president was shot.

Even though the 60's had some troubling times, I really liked the late 50's early 60's..........I miss the good times as a redneck in KY......

Today is a different world, the young won't know the good times we've lost..............................

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I do remember the Kennedy assassination and believe me......at least in Texas.....there were very few tears shed over JFK being shot. In fact MANY were quite happy about Kennedy's shooting.

Of course this was before anyone realized what a disaster LBJ was going to be.

It was only after 24-48 hours that it hit home that Kennedy really didn't matter.....the tragedy was that the President of the United States had been killed. This was very upsetting, but the fact that Kennedy had been eliminated was hardly a reason to grieve.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
west: Yeah.....OK. I have heard that. ...and not doubting you. But...

If someone whacked you in the temple with a hammer from the front which way would your head move?

Is the central nervous system that fast to overcome the physical force from behind and move into it?

I mean i am not forensic guy nor a (what do they call them?) a physiologist? I really don't know....

As one who has 'tested' a lot of bullets in a lot of mediums and many and varied distances..........and had to wipe paint off from the guns I've used - when I've "used up" old paint as test media, I don't trust the way the target moves as a way of determining direction of impact.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Klik: OK I can buy that.

Maybe i should attend that sale Jorg brought to my attention. grin

I guess my doubts about the Warren Commission conclusions stems from the fact that I really do not believe a F(*%$in thing that the Federal Government tells me about almost anything.

I am a chronic,carping skeptic. I believe "nothing" they say,and this goes back a long ways. smile

I offer the current administration as another in a very long list of examples.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]
Okay.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It seems strange that some on here insisted we respect McCain despite years of weird, erratic and near treasonous behavior, due to his war hero status, while reviling JFK whose own war hero status was unquestionable.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (222Sako, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 3,184 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,707
Posts18,534,829
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.