Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Much earlier, I built a 340 B mainly due to an article of his circa '91 or '92 in G&A extolling that cartridges virtues. Later, after a trip to Australia where he experimented very successfully with the then new Winchester Failsafe bullets loaded in '06, he was the first, IIRC, to publicly conclude that these new premiums lifted each cartridge up a whole level of effectiveness.

He then went on later to argue the 338 over the 340 due to the new bullets. I believe that was what we were communicating about at the time I invited him here.

He certainly was opinionated but a good writer also.

Ross was also the first (that I recollect) to extol mono bullets like the Triple Shock and to state that they punched way above their weight.

He was of the "Elmer" school when it came to elk rifles, but later recanted and said that the proletarian 270/30/06 with good bullets was just as effective.

He was the first to tout the use of a laser rangefinder, before they were even available to the public. He used a three-foot long Swiss Wild optical rangefinder to shoot rocks for fun. John Burns got his start as a young man watching his neighboor, who happened to be Ross.

He was the last IPSC World Champ before the dot sights took over in open class, and before "The Great One" (Leatham) came onto the scene. He was also the last man to do so shooting from a Weaver stance.

He wrote that a few times he'd limited on doves with as many shells. Jeff Cooper used to comment that the average competent rifleman or pistolero usually couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a shotgun . Maybe so but not Ross.

Opinionated or not, few if any gunwriters have near his resume.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
FWIW, Ross was one of my favorite writers, and when he left the mags he wrote for, I let my subscription lapse. I still pick one up occasionally on the news stands, but a lot of what I subscribed for went away with Ross.

As to his being opinionated, who among us with a real wealth of experience DOESN'T get opinionated after a while? His opinions weren't based on just an occsional kill, either, but on a pattern of performance over time. This is one thing among the many that made his writing valuable to those of us who still prefer Truth over style. He was the real deal, no matter how you measured him. He just wasn't PC and had no intentions of EVER being so. This too endeared him to me, personally, but that's not so much related to shooting or hunting as to his personal ethics, and he valued Truth above all else, and had little patience about "opinion," and had little patience with it. Some today call that a fault. I like it. This country worked better when more people were like that, but that's a whole 'nother thread, I guess.

I too wish him well, and I suspect that while I'm sure he hated leaving the west, because it was "home" to him, and the land of the big elk, but so much of the wsst is now owned by the US Gov't that may have had a part in his decision, at least possibly. I think I could see that in his overall outlook, but that's just a projection. All I know for sure is that I miss him, and I for one think we are diminished by his absence in print. My 2 cents' worth, anyway.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by hnts4fun
Originally Posted by saddlering
He did a Pic about his last hunt at the old Family land, was good, something about the buck dieing near the green of the golf course that was built on the land net to his place!

I remember this piece and how saddened I was to read it. In the early/mid 80s Ross wrote a lot about hunting revolvers, heavy for caliber cast bullets, large as possible meplats. I remember him sticking hard to a philosophy that you would never get high enough velocities to ensure reliable bullet expansion from a wheel gun. Therefore, the shooter needed to put together a bullet/cartridge combo that would ensure the largest diameter entrance and exit hole; and focus, as always, on proper shot placement.

I was never able to afford a John Linebaugh or Hamilton Bowen custom 5 shot Ruger conversion; but I took away as much as I could from his articles and used my Ruger Super Blackhawk to take my very first heads of North American game… Mule deer buck and a truckload of pronghorn does. Eventually I also used my Ruger to cleanly take a bull elk at 125 yards.

Ross Seyfried was my favorite gun writer at the time and I hope he is doing well in Kentucky.

Ross wrote one time about, "The poor man's Linebaugh" although I forget the title of the article. He said that for those who could not afford a Linebaugh gun, get a Ruger BlackHawk Bisley .45 Colt with 5.5" barrel and load for it. He said, again IIRC, you could go to Linebaugh's web site and get Ruger friendly pressure tested loads. I did find a 5.5" Bisley at a gun show and they sure are hell for stout. It feels a lot heavier than my 7.5" Bisley .44 Mag.
Paul B.

Last edited by PJGunner; 02/28/16.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by EdM
Plain and simple, Ross was badazz in everything he wrote as he knew it all far more than the rest. Any other writer denying this fact should just, well, you know...

Hopefully you are writing with tongue in cheek!
I agree that Ross was one of the best writers in the industry and I still enjoy reading his articles. There is no doubt he could shoot also but he still has human foibles. He wrote numerous articles with absolutly false or misleading information in them and loved making underhanded comments about other writers
Last time I talked with him at the Wolfe Publishing booth he claimed there were no bears left in Alaska as large as those taken by older Kodiak guides, even though F&G records prove different, and had the audacity to claim that photos of bears my clients had taken were photo shopped !

fwiw & imho,
Nice to see some professional courtesy extended where y'all don't sling dirt on one another on the internet... In person maybe. The internet? I would not have expected that of you in a month of Sundays. Even our idols have feet made of clay...

Have heard a few behind the scenes stories, humorous more than sour grapes, ill will, or whatever, on a sacred cow or two but would bet the ranch it will not wind up here in a gun writer fess up...

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I did find a 5.5" Bisley at a gun show and they sure are hell for stout. It feels a lot heavier than my 7.5" Bisley .44 Mag.
Paul B.

I did too after reading that article. Found a 5.5" SS Bisley and they are stout.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B2

M
M16 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
I reckon so; $6.9 million would go a long way on the bills right now.

Yep, it's been a well kept secret about how much gun writers actually get paid. Not only from writing but endorsements as well. Good gun writers are compensated better than stars in the NFL. grin

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by EdM
No better writer, ever.

This.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The rest of the story...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sharpnel

Don't we all wish. laugh

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by PJGunner

Ross wrote one time about, "The poor man's Linebaugh" although I forget the title of the article. He said that for those who could not afford a Linebaugh gun, get a Ruger BlackHawk Bisley .45 Colt with 5.5" barrel and load for it. He said, again IIRC, you could go to Linebaugh's web site and get Ruger friendly pressure tested loads. I did find a 5.5" Bisley at a gun show and they sure are hell for stout. It feels a lot heavier than my 7.5" Bisley .44 Mag.
Paul B.

I recall that article, which IIRC was around 2000. Don't remember in what magazine. Interestingly, John Linebaugh tells a good story about driving to Seyfried's house to demonstrate his "heavy" 45 Colt loads, and Seyfried's skepticism. It might still be up on John's website.

As for Ross being "first" with the big flat meplat, I'm not sure if he truly was first, or just first to write about it. Veral Smith and John Linebaugh, among others, were working with such matters a looooong time ago.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Bluemonday

He was the last IPSC World Champ before the dot sights took over in open class, and before "The Great One" (Leatham) came onto the scene.

This is a major feather in Ross' cap, IMHO. Not taking anything away from Leatham, mind you.

Originally Posted by Bluemonday
He wrote that a few times he'd limited on doves with as many shells. Jeff Cooper used to comment that the average competent rifleman or pistolero usually couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a shotgun . Maybe so but not Ross.

I don't know many guys who are world class with all of them. Our own ltppowell is one, I know... man can he hit doves!

No question that Seyfried's shooting resume was/is superb.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DocRocket
[quote=
As for Ross being "first" with the big flat meplat, I'm not sure if he truly was first, or just first to write about it. Veral Smith and John Linebaugh, among others, were working with such matters a looooong time ago.

Veral Smith and Ross Seyfried contributed to the Cast bullets Association magazine, The Fouling Shot in the 1980's. They wrote several informative articles on cast bullets.
Seyfried probably wrote the first mainstream media article about LBT bullets for the September 1988 issue of Guns and Ammo titled "The Best New Handgun Bullet Design." A very informative article.

Another good article was "Rifle Handgun Combo for the '80's" in the August '87' issue of Guns and Ammo. This one about the interesting possibilities of the high pressure .32 H&R Magnum cartridge in the Ruger No. 3 and the SSX Bisley. 115-grain cast bullets at 2,000 fps from rifle.

I have never met Ross Seyfried but in print he is able to write interesting articles which occasionally, separate me from modest amounts of money.

Slim
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Ross was also quite pleased with himself and wasn't afraid to admit it. He made a claim that he had designed the rounding of the front of single action revolver cylinders and wasn't aware that Colt had been doing that at least 60 years before he was born.

Completely false statement. I remember that article and Ross said nothing of the sort.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,776
Posts18,495,801
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.