Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Tanner

His Daddio and Uncle are the owners of Gunwerks.... Rifles, scopes, ammo, classes, undies, etc....

Undies? They got Realtree Scentblockers in stock?

I just bought the last 7 pair...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Coyote_Hunter,

I didn’t see any hunting in the video.

Again we are in agreement. Again we are the same.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Discussing anything on the Internet is obviously unethical, because Al Gore invented it.

John, just ruined my keyboard this morning. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Ringman
Coyote_Hunter,

In 2014 I lost my first elk in 32 years of hunting them.

Tell us the difference in your elk that got away and what you are complaining about.

First, I'm not "complaining", merely commenting. What other people do is up to them but what these people in the video did wasn't something I would do and no. I don't give them any kudos for their "hunting" skills as I didn't see anything I would remotely consider "hunting" in the video.

The elk I lost was the first and only one I've lost since I started elk hunting in 1982 and would have been the 14th for me since 2000 (15 years). Not at all sure just how many more I took between 1982 through 1999, or how many I passed on during those years because the shot opportunity didn't measure up to what I was comfortable with.

A second difference is I hit the elk with the first and only shot. In spite of the most massive blood trail I have ever seen, it escaped to private land where we couldn't follow. The dark blood and chest-high blood on the brush on both sides of its trail suggested a liver hit with a pass-through.

Another is that the range was 389 yards, not 1376 yards. I practice pretty regularly out to 600 yards and when the wind cooperates I am able to hit clay pigeons at that range on a pretty regular basis - something I proved two weekends ago to hit 8 clay pigeons at 600 with about 30 tries. While that is only about a 27% success rate all but a couple would have hit an 8" plate and I believe all would have been in the kill zone for an animal the size of an elk. I underestimated a crosswind, which we couldn't see or feel from our position, and that lead to my shot hitting the elk a bit further back than I intended, assuming it was indeed a liver hit. Add 1,000 yards and there is a lot more room for things to go wrong, as the kid's first shot miss proved.

Finally, I actually "hunted" to obtain the shot opportunity, something you suggest the people in the video did but without any evidence to back up your claim.

Convince me that the video wasn't just a promotional video with the kid and the elk being props.

FWIW wind is always visible in one way or anohter.

Likely why I have not made many longer shots, because I take the time to read it all the way out and back in and check side draws etc....

If you continue practicing at 600, which is a good thing even if you don't shoot at game at that distance, start figuring out WHY you are missing clay targets. There is always a cause. If its not you or the gun/ammo, then you are not seeing everything you need to.

Remember mirage and wind are 2 seperate issues. One shows there is wind and lets you guess speed, but it also optically moves the aiming/impact point. Wind moves the bullet.

There is a LOT more to learn over years of time, to shooting well especially at longer distances, than there is to figuring out how to get closer and make a chip shot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
rost495,

This is one of the most polite and informative helps I have read on the net. Thanks.

FWIW wind is always visible in one way or anohter.

Likely why I have not made many longer shots, because I take the time to read it all the way out and back in and check side draws etc....

If you continue practicing at 600, which is a good thing even if you don't shoot at game at that distance, start figuring out WHY you are missing clay targets. There is always a cause. If its not you or the gun/ammo, then you are not seeing everything you need to.

Remember mirage and wind are 2 seperate issues. One shows there is wind and lets you guess speed, but it also optically moves the aiming/impact point. Wind moves the bullet.

There is a LOT more to learn over years of time, to shooting well especially at longer distances, than there is to figuring out how to get closer and make a chip shot.

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Reason I have not made a lot of long shots... is because by the time I dope everything and add it to the formula, often game is not shootable anymore...

I had one work out once almost... doped it all, was still not convinced my wind correction was correct, something over 950 and approaching 1000.. I forget...

Pulled off the side of animal about 150 yards to what we thought was a large rock, shot and flipped it in the air barely skimming it... dropped a round in and the animal decided to slowly walk off.. nope not shooting.

Went down to check the rock out, it was softball sized... LOL.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Rost -

Your last 2 posts are the kind I enjoy reading. I also appreciate your determination to do it right. wink

I had almost the reverse situation several yrs ago. I had been watching & scoping a round grey spot and decided it was a stump. A while later I heard a little noise and looked, the STUMP walked out of sight. laugh

In another area I watched a rather large spot that looked just like the side of a deer laying down. It definitely was NOT another person/animal.
After 20-30 min. I remembered the stump walking off so.....

I aimed for the crease between the shoulder and ribs..BANG. ! Nothing.

I walked across a ravine and SPOT on I nailed a ROCK exactly where I aimed. DEAD rock. grin

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 02/29/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwall
Rost -

Your last 2 posts are the kind I enjoy reading. I also appreciate your determination to do it right. wink

Jerry

Plus one! Great stuff Jeff!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sooner or later state game departments will make extreme long range illegal.
IMHO

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wanna impress me? Stalk it to 100 yards or less. That is hunting not shooting. You want to LR shoot/ Make steel elk targets and have at it.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Fotis
You want to LR shoot, have at it, and I'll tend to my own business.

Fixed it for you. It is nice to see the ethics police finally show up though.

As far as state F&G agencies, I believe if they were going to do something they'd have done it by now. Almost impossible to enforce in the field.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wanna impress me? Stalk it to 100 yards or less. That is hunting not shooting. You want to LR shoot/ Make steel elk targets and have at it.

+1 Too many wounded animals dieing slow deaths and becoming coyote food.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't help but wonder how long it took them to get to the elk after the shot.

For me, on foot, the time would have been measured in hours, during which the bacteria count would be doubling every 15 minutes. Thanks, but no thanks. I like my meat fresher than that.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Almost impossible to enforce in the field.

Not really. They enforce all kinds of goofy restrictions on muzzle loaders in western states. They could just say no scopes.

Now whether or not there is the political will is another question.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bellydeep
They could just say no scopes.

Seriously? If they did that, bubba couldn't take his 200-300 yard pokes.

Never happen.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 378Canuck

+1 Too many wounded animals dieing slow deaths and becoming coyote food.

The problem is worse during archery season, and to go back to Fotis' post, the answer is no, I have no desire to impress you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do we really need to legislate every detail? The onus is on the hunter to do the right thing. The guys in this video failed to do the right thing. This is both my contention and seems to be the consensus here. Their actions were reckless and irresponsible.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
kingston,

This is both my contention and seems to be the consensus here.

I wonder if we can get a consensus on the correct elk cartridge and brand of rifle and scope and bullet? That way the antis won't have anything to complain about.

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Almost impossible to enforce in the field.

Not really. They enforce all kinds of goofy restrictions on muzzle loaders in western states. They could just say no scopes.

Now whether or not there is the political will is another question.

Na, no scopes over 4x-have to consider us old guys, so only those under 40 have to use irons-no range finding reticles, no scope adjustments in that you have to sight-in in the presence of a WCO at which time he/she places a seal on your adjustments which will transmit a text to their phone if broken. Do so and a helicopter will be immediately dispatched to your longitude-latitude. Fine will be loss of license forevaaaa. That should do it.

Or they could make you hunt in the presence of an Anti, whose responsibility is to range find every opportunity. No shooting until you are passed off to do so. Now that would really do it.

Addition: Only allowed 2 cartridges in the field. Coded to your rifle of course. More than 2 and the firing mechanism shuts down.

Last edited by battue; 03/01/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think Kingston is right on regarding more regulations. I can't believe we're talking about banning scopes because a few people exercise poor judgment with their shot selection.

And Battue, don't leave out the bowhunters, we need someone looking over their shoulders too. We should probably make ' em wear blaze orange so they're easier to keep track of.

Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

219 members (444afic, 5sdad, 10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 264mag, 27 invisible), 1,604 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,070
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.