Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
7mmMato Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
And when I get done think WTF did I just read.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
No, and its getting more and more that way it seems.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I thought it was just me. Lately the articles seem to ramble blindly in three or four directions.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hmmm. Thought it was just me, too...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
He has always sucked IMOP.

Lefty C

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
When I read his articles I find that if eggs are over cooked to the point of the egg being hard that burnt sienna is my favorite crayon.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
another scovill fan. NOT!!

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1234
another scovill fan. NOT!!

^^^Yep.^^^

Ed

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When reading something by the author of interest, vice other writers, there are certain things that wear on me.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Always read them. No problem with sundry subjects.

Defend the Constitution
IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I thought it was just me. Lately the articles seem to ramble blindly in three or four directions.

Yeah, he does seem to tracking rabbit trails (all over the place), but then, he's got the job, we don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think I have ever read one complete article he has written. They just can't hold my interest

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bea175
I don't think I have ever read one complete article he has written. They just can't hold my interest

Same here. They just seem to wander with no real purpose...more like he is just waxing eloquent about how much he accomplished decades ago.

7mmMato Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well then I guess it isnt just me. I used to enjoy them he was opinionated but the stories where ok. Now its like what the hell we were talking about .45 acp and suddenly we are in Africa with a 416 rigby.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have some old copies of Rifle and Handloader containing his articles. Articles then were longer and more detailed which if not about something you're into, could be pretty tedious. When he became the editor, his piece at the front of the magazines became more of a column that covered this and that, rather than a pointed article.

Scovill knows his stuff, and has the background and technical ability to go into more detail than many, including me sometimes want, but when he says something, I believe him because he bases his statements on actual experience. He has a lot of accomplishments, and he really likes to point them out, over and over and over to the point it gets pretty annoying sometimes. If I read about how he designed the RCBS 270 grain bullet for the .45 Colt one more time, I think I'll explode. He seems to be largely dismissive of lesser mortals in general and pretty full of himself. In short, his writing leads me to believe he's probably someone I wouldn't care to know personally. That could be a false impression, but it's how he comes across.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well said, Pappy348. I can usually slog through his column, but it is hardly ever something of major interest and he is all over the board in his train of thought, stream of consciousness, or however he writes.

I lost most of what little respect I had for him when he went off about Jack O'Connor and how he didn't have to read O'Connor to know anything. A thick headed guy that thinks he can't learn something from those who have gone before him isn't too bright.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think John Wooters said, "Thems that can write, write! Thems that can't write, edit!"

Scovill was just one of the reasons I quit subscribing and then buying Wolfe.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That O'Connor stuff hit me the wrong way too. Scovill apparently grew up around lumber camps, worked his way through school and had a couple of good careers including a stint in the Navy. I give him full credit for his accomplishments and success. His comments about O'Connor seemed like he was taking shots at him, which seemed silly and petty, especially given that he admitted that he hadn't read his stuff and therefore couldn't know much about him or his background. I think O'Connor's accomplishments, even before he became famous, surpass anything Scovill has ever done, and his beginnings were just as challenging. The whole business just smelled like a jealous rant. Everybody makes a jackass out of themselves eventually and I guess it was his turn.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was the article that got me also. After reading it, I cancelled. Scovill is way too arrogant for my tastes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't cancel over the editor having a hissy fit a time or two. Those magazines are too enjoyable and valuable to me. In case no one's noticed, a fair number of gun writers, especially old ones, have attitude issues at times. Old Jack, though it didn't show up in most of his writing, apparently could be difficult himself.

Not everyone can be as sweet-natured, patient, and helpful as our buddy, JB. 🙄

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 8 invisible), 1,452 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,591
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.