Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Lefty: yes a number of my friends who are match shooters have them, but they have the NXS-types in various powers. I know they are good.

From what I hear and read, the SHV is not built to NXS standards for dialing,and is missing goodies like zero stop, lighted reticle etc. "they" say it isn't as durable either.

OTOH from what i see, talking to folks who own them, they aren't dog doodoo either. smile

Anyway it's my first NF and if it turns out to be unsatisfactory, I can spin into the more expensive model later. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH

But personally I was disinclined to drop $1900 for a scope. One of my intermittent fits of frugality. grin

I hear that. The pricing on these SHV's is very aggressive. Got my attention!

I'll be curious as to your thoughts on the optical properties once you get it mounted up. According to my highly scientific conkalations, the tube length looks to be a bit short for ol' stiff neck here. smile Which is a bummer. Seems that at the moment, there's (4) brands of solid "dialing" hunting scopes competing at roughly this price point: SWFA, Bushnell LRHS, some Vortex or the other, and these SHV's. I'd rather stick a NF-branded scope on my rifles than any of those- even IF they are all coming out of the same factory in Japan <g>....

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jeff I bet the eye relief and that stuff is akin to the same NXS. I climbed behind a couple of those in Kansas this past year,and found it just fine.

Anyway the Gods of the Internet say it arrives today. The grandkids are on their way to thwart my scope mounting and shooting but I will post what I think.

I have a S&B here to compare optics FWIW.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Bob, if you don't mind, report on the ease of use of the reticle please. I probably missed which reticle you're getting, but since it's non-illuminating I'd be curious how easy it is to see in poor light, up against brushlines, etc? Thanks, hope you love it. That sweet rifle deserves a winner.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JG: I can give a half assed report now since I hunted with the NXS a day or so in KS,and aimed at a bunch of deer out to 500 yards or so.

It was fine but the light was good.....I will bring to to the range and see how late I can see it as the lights go out.

I kind of liked it.It is different from what I am used to though.... wink

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No criticism of the scope itself or others' choices but I personally don't get putting a scope that's a quarter lb + heavier than others available in the same power range on a trim, light Kimber.

That's not to say it won't work-it will.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Hell, in my case I'd be adding a full HALF pound to my Kimber! It's got a 12 oz Swarovski on it now.

One reason, and one only, to do that: to increase the utility of the rifle. Mine is a 7 WSM with a Pac-Nor tube; it's very accurate. If a scope change gained me 100 yards of "reach" that opens up huge swaths of terrain. Currently, dialing the Swaro, it's a 550 yard hunting rifle.

Whether a very precise dialing scope actually could do that for me is totally up for debate, but I'd like to try! smile

However, at 8-1/2" from objective bell flare to ocular, that is almost 3/4" shorter than my Swaro- 3/4" farther from my eye I mean. I don't think that'll work unless they've understated the ER spec on the SHV.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

No criticism of the scope itself or others' choices but I personally don't get putting a scope that's a quarter lb + heavier than others available in the same power range on a trim, light Kimber.

That's not to say it won't work-it will.

I'd gladly take the 4-8 ozs extra on a light weight rifle for the comfort of knowing that my scope will work when needed...

YMMV...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jeff mine is on the rifle. It's a piece of cake to get behind and eye relief is very forgiving. You should have no issues on a short action and correct mounts.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
CC... Out of curiosity what scope do you use now that fits all of your stringent requirements of a hunting scope...

there isn't one I am happy all the way with. probably 2 different scopes right now. the 3.5-15 NXS with MOAR reticle, that would go on big game calibers,or long range guns. 2.5-10x32 NXS w/mildot on AR type and guns I am likely to be shooting at less than 400 yards with. Nightforce reticles in some cases may be tuff to see without illumination.

simply put check the model of scope, the MOAR reticle is very different in a 3.5-15 NXS vs the same reticle in a 2.5-10 model.

I will trash on FFP again because I feel like stiring the pot. looked at the LRHS yet again at the sportsmans expo last week. I would love to like this scope BTW. The reticle washed out looking at a curtain inside the full lights of the show, let me repeat the reticle on low power washed out against a dark curtain in full light at the show standing in their booth. there is simply no way anyone can look someone in the eye and say this is a good low light scope on low power. for what its worth the higher power LRHS is much better on low power, but still not good enough for a hunting scope IMO. Its so bad I am surprised they put a product like this on the market.

The interesting thing is, bushnell was there, vortex was there, leica, swaro, all of them were represented at the show. when I was looking at stuff at 3 different booths someone came in and asked about FFP scopes. In EVERY case the reps working the both said they didn't like FFP and it wasn't their thing. I thought that was interesting. I think there is alot of hype associated with FFP.

look thats my opinion, don't like it, fine, I really don't care, if the scope bottoms out at less than 6x on the low end it should not have a FFP reticle, end of story.

So the scopes you currently use now are the 2 nxs's you listed? Those are not getting it done for you? Not really understanding but trying to.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
CC... Out of curiosity what scope do you use now that fits all of your stringent requirements of a hunting scope...

there isn't one I am happy all the way with. probably 2 different scopes right now. the 3.5-15 NXS with MOAR reticle, that would go on big game calibers,or long range guns. 2.5-10x32 NXS w/mildot on AR type and guns I am likely to be shooting at less than 400 yards with. Nightforce reticles in some cases may be tuff to see without illumination.

simply put check the model of scope, the MOAR reticle is very different in a 3.5-15 NXS vs the same reticle in a 2.5-10 model.

I will trash on FFP again because I feel like stiring the pot. looked at the LRHS yet again at the sportsmans expo last week. I would love to like this scope BTW. The reticle washed out looking at a curtain inside the full lights of the show, let me repeat the reticle on low power washed out against a dark curtain in full light at the show standing in their booth. there is simply no way anyone can look someone in the eye and say this is a good low light scope on low power. for what its worth the higher power LRHS is much better on low power, but still not good enough for a hunting scope IMO. Its so bad I am surprised they put a product like this on the market.

The interesting thing is, bushnell was there, vortex was there, leica, swaro, all of them were represented at the show. when I was looking at stuff at 3 different booths someone came in and asked about FFP scopes. In EVERY case the reps working the both said they didn't like FFP and it wasn't their thing. I thought that was interesting. I think there is alot of hype associated with FFP.

look thats my opinion, don't like it, fine, I really don't care, if the scope bottoms out at less than 6x on the low end it should not have a FFP reticle, end of story.

So the scopes you currently use now are the 2 nxs's you listed? Those are not getting it done for you? Not really understanding but trying to.

Tis an exercise in futility to try to understand him. You could dump a truckload of money on his front lawn and he'd beotch and moan that it wasn't stacked and counted.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Oh I see one of them. I'd love to know what it is he's doing that's giving him such trouble with available scopes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I'd love to know what it is he's doing that's giving him such trouble with available scopes.

The answer:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Jeff mine is on the rifle. It's a piece of cake to get behind and eye relief is very forgiving. You should have no issues on a short action and correct mounts.

"Correct mounts" being an operative clause there. Being a Kimber, the options are a lot more limited than say a Rem or M70.

...... but that said, I might have no choice. I shot a "tall target" test today with that rifle and let's just say, I can see why I was having trouble past 550 or so. frown

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lol

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm trying to find humor in it. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Always wonder.....

does a thousand dollar scope help anyone shoot that much better than they would with a $200 scope or even a $59 Tasco...

at least in most hunting situations?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I'm trying to find humor in it. smile

I already found it..... pretty easy to love Warne bases and Burris/SWFA Low rings....

Though you are master of the skull-phug.... and the azz-shot....

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
One ass shot. ONE!! grin

Those are some beefy rings. Very... tacticool <g>. I'm using similar bases on my heavy 7 WSM and they do work. Never really LIKED them but I can't fault their function.

You liking that LRHS? Heaviest of all the ones I've been considering... Jordan sure likes his. Saw a box test shot with one over on LRHF that was pretty impressive.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seafire
Always wonder.....

does a thousand dollar scope help anyone shoot that much better than they would with a $200 scope or even a $59 Tasco...

at least in most hunting situations?

I don't know what "most hunting situations" really means but I'm not contemplating this scope upgrade to address most hunting situations anyway. smile

Precision über alles if you are dialing for distance.... if you aren't, then the scopes under discussion here don't make much sense from a strictly practical perspective.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 222Sako, 2500HD, 12344mag, 204guy, 58 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,506
Posts18,509,299
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.