Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

A broad brim works for me!

I surfed almost daily in Texas, Mexico and California from 1966 til 1976. When not surfing, I worked on a framing crew where one worked 12/7, and you got run off if you wore a long pants and a shirt.

I've worked outside all my life here in Texas.

Now days I wear long sleeves for the most part

[Linked Image]

and always a chapeau.

Ya'

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB4

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got a couple Atwood palm straws for summer and a Resistal felt or a Stormy Kromer for winter. I like the palm straws as they will take a beating, dunk them in the horse trough and reshape them.EDE

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Which brings up another point. Who else besides me wears long sleeve shirts and jeans/trousers every day? As well as a hat. I'm outside every day. When not wearing jeans I wear bib overalls.

I cannot wear a T shirt or shorts as I feel nekkid. They are underwear to me. Year round it's long sleeves, felt hat, and long britches.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
When I was young and working outside, Inalways wore long sleeves, usually blue denim western style shirts.

They soak up sweat well do a good job of cooling the body.

Now days, I often wear T-shirts unless I am going out into the sun for an extended period.

I am a fair compected redhead.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wow guys, thanks for the tips! Didn't figure on getting this much feedback.

As far as climate, in the summer it's usually in the 70's to 80's, sometimes hotter. Fall and winter are a whole lot colder. So, I think I'm looking for a couple hats, just trying to figure out what will work best. I have a felt Stetson that I hunt in, but never saw myself as a cowboy hat kind of guy for dail wear. But I never saw myself as a skin cancer kind of guy either.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hunting nut, sounds like you might not be in cowboy country but in the summer, I think a palm hat is the way to go. Sunbody.com has so many styles, you'll find something. As others have said, palm is easy to shape and reshape.
Hope you give that cancer the middle finger!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Which brings up another point. Who else besides me wears long sleeve shirts and jeans/trousers every day? As well as a hat. I'm outside every day. When not wearing jeans I wear bib overalls.

I cannot wear a T shirt or shorts as I feel nekkid. They are underwear to me. Year round it's long sleeves, felt hat, and long britches.

The trick is to spend more time naked, then you'll feel more comfortable in shorts and a tee shirt.

Last year I spent a lots of time in the nursery. There's no shade. I started started wearing a pith helmet.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
At the Idaho place I use a Filson Tin Packer hat when it is wet. Here in Texas, when it is wet, it is a Jacaru Wallaru Oiled hat that I bought whilst living in Oz or a cheap azz Academy broad brimmed rice picker hat that weighs next to nothing when it doesn't rain. Depends on the weather. My biggest problem is making sure I have the hat in my vehicle so I am thinking more than one might be required. I do not like wearing a hat and have never worn sun glasses so that may play into it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kingston
...The trick is to spend more time naked, then you'll feel more comfortable in shorts and a tee shirt.

Last year I spent a lots of time in the nursery. There's no shade. I started started wearing a pith helmet.

Good God, man! Have you no decency?!?!? Even thinking about Bob nekkid is the LAST thing any sane person would suggest. The horror! Children will scream for their mothers, women will faint, and grown men will have nightmares! I think I need a drink...

eek shocked laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
You just go find a hat you like, whatever . . .

<><> http://www.military-history.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/old-cowboy.jpg <><>

. . . and make it YOU!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
Earlier this year I was diagnosed with skin cancer. At 35 it came as quite a shock. So I'm sitting here now with a chunk of my ear removed, and I gotta say it sucks. The doc told me for someone my age to have this means I will have more and have to have scans done every 4 months. They also said I need to wear a brimmed hat whenever I'm out. I've worn a baseball cap most of my life, but need something else now. For those of you that wear some type of brimmed hat, what is most comfortable? Any recommendations?

I have had the same problem for several years so I wear a Stetson wool (60.00)in cool weather and Stetson straw in the summer (50.00). Like em both.

O, use LOTS of at least PF15 sunscreen.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Earlier this year I was diagnosed with skin cancer. At 35 it came as quite a shock. So I'm sitting here now with a chunk of my ear removed, and I gotta say it sucks. The doc told me for someone my age to have this means I will have more and have to have scans done every 4 months. They also said I need to wear a brimmed hat whenever I'm out. I've worn a baseball cap most of my life, but need something else now. For those of you that wear some type of brimmed hat, what is most comfortable? Any recommendations?

I was 35 when I had my first skin cancer removed via Mhos surgery. It was the mildest form, a basal cell carcinoma. My doc said I should get checked annually as a result. Knock on wood, I've had no recurrences yet though. I wear a hat strategically, but not all the time. For hot weather, I like these made by Magellan available at Academy Sports.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

I had the same problem 17 years ago...........I'm in my 60's now, that is weird typing that, I feel like a 40yr old....
I been getting a checkup every 6 months since then. I get pre-crud stuff froze off every couple years.
You will do fine, Put on a hat and enjoy the outdoors.

Check the SPF rating of the hat you choose....Some straw hats are not rated well, some are.
Wide brim is a must. I never wore a hat for years. Don't go without one now, and long sleeve shirts year round, regardless of weather.
I've got a few Cabelas packer hats, a couple Tilleys, Filsons and a few off brands. Probably got a dozen or so. Wore out a couple Tilleys. Tilley makes a light weight material with a vent around the top, I like that one for summer. The cotton Tilleys always rot at the sweat band for me, I don't wash them enough.
Chin strap is handy for riding bikes, I put a windshield on my quad so my hat would stay on.
When driving my pickup I have a piece of cardboard that slips in the door gasket to extend the visor on the side window. It's about 6" wide and I can see traffic and such under it. Doesn't block the view, but blocks the sun.

And by the way I have always worked outdoors, still do. So my hats get worn daily, and they get pretty dirty.

The Doc told me most skin damage occurs in your teens. We just pay for it later.
I had a great skin Doc till last year when he retired at 80. Found another good one after a couple of tries.

Also when shooting outdoors I use the earmuffs with the band made to go behind the head. That way I can keep a hat on.

Good day to you............

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

[Linked Image]

Be careful with that hat, I would get too much sun through the mesh onto the forehead. Course I don't have much for hair up there.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
At age 66 I too have paid the price for too many summers in the sun. A couple of years ago my dermatologist froze so many places on my face that I looked as if I might have leprosy. I now use a sunblock that is specifically intended for the face, I believe it is SPF 30. Since my hair is thinning I wear a ball cap in the cooler weather and a broad brimmed straw hat in the summer. As I mentioned in my previous post, Nogintops and Lamood Big Hats are great sources for a wide variety of hats. Check 'em out, good prices too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hats are fine but sunscreen is what you will need to use

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Looks better on the dog.

Which one's the dog?

grin

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Damn, rough crowd!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by kingston
...The trick is to spend more time naked, then you'll feel more comfortable in shorts and a tee shirt.

Good God, man! Have you no decency?!?!? Even thinking about Bob nekkid is the LAST thing any sane person would suggest. The horror! Children will scream for their mothers, women will faint, and grown men will have nightmares! I think I need a drink...

eek shocked laugh

Ed

I gotta agree with Ed on this one. It ain't purty.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Damn, rough crowd!

Shake it off, Sam - that's a great photo of the pooch. It reminds us of why we have dogs. ('cause no other pet, nor even our damned kids, would put up with our dressing 'em up for photos.)

For the OP, the Forstdiensthut is not without its considerable charms. Being made outa felt, however, it leaves my head sweatin' like a whore in church at anything over 60 degrees, F.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[note: It might seem like a cultural faux pas to pose a German hat with rifles chambered in .300 Savage and .35 Whelen. However, given that most of the German hunters I saw carried .30-06's, I figure they'd probably not mind.]

Be sure to post whichever chapeau you end up with.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,201 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,931
Posts18,479,940
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.